This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 96

Thread: Will you cancel/postpone?

  1. #81
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I have to say that I always felt safer in Aruba than here before we were vaccinated. At home we did not dine out because we did not have many outdoor dining options, but Aruba has soooo many. I wore my mask, used sanitizer and wiped down the cart in the stores. When I walked in the mornings, I tried to stay away from people as much as possible. We did dine out with others and hung out with other. There are several people who are there as long as we were and we kinda unofficially had our own little group. When we chatted with others, we did it at a safe distance.
    Agreed. When we went down in November, I could do a walk from the house to the lighthouse and back (about 10 km) and see two or three people. Pre-pandemic I'd see literally dozens. Those numbers started to go up as vaccines rolled into the island in February/March. On those walks, I'd listen to Canadian news podcasts and knew that we'd made the right decision to flee Canada.
    0 1
     

  2. #82
    Pop-pop Brian
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mlrhoxie View Post
    Peg, Lisa, Brian - Thanks for your kind words! To answer a few questions and add my comments.....

    Finally got thru to JB just after midnight, got all my points back and a travel bank credit. As I previously said, we were not planning to go to sleep last night in order to make it the airport in time. So, after hours on the phone with JB, and some middle of the night TV, I ended up staying up all night anyway (oh, the irony!) and waited for the hubs to come home from work (also an RN - working the night shift). He was not going to be able to join us on this trip due to his schedule, and did not get my text that we canceled. So SURPRISE, we're still home and get to spend the weekend together before his schedule resumes on Monday.

    We are in Philly suburbs, and looking at options for a few days at the beach, anywhere up and down the East Coast, within a 6-8hr drive. I will take the time today to try to figure something out. One thing is for sure...we will have time together and make our own memories no matter the location....and at some point I will find some time to sleep

    Pasa un bon dia,
    Michelle
    Michelle, with the added curfews in Aruba, you definitely made the right choice to cancel your trip at this time. Did you ever find another place to go at the Jersey shore or elsewhere during your time off? Hope all worked out well.

    We left the Jersey shore this morning and came back to Northern NJ. No damage or issues in either place just a lot of rain last night and today. NJ was spared the worst of Henri.
    Stay safe all.
    0 0
     

  3. #83
    Senior Member MAZOO-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waited until last minute but we decided to cancel for this year. We also canceled last year so it was a hard decision. Got our credit from United and my Hilton points back. Will start over in February for a September trip in 2022.
    0 1
     

  4. #84
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you had to cancel- it stinks! I have had to do that way too many times the last 2 years. I am thankful we had the opportunity to go in June and July while things were looking good on the covid front.
    Trip 33 begins on July 15.








    0 0
     

  5. #85
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mazoo…. As Jay says “stinks”

    sorry.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 1
     

  6. #86
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you mind sharing which travel insurance company you used?
    0 0
     

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlrhoxie View Post
    Sadly, we are pulling the plug on our trip that was scheduled for TOMORROW MORNING :-( Flight is only 8hrs from now, so it's gonna be a long night on hold with the airline (141min hold-time for JB). As many have stated in other threads, this is a very personal decision, and not one taken lightly. We got our green checkmarks and negative covid tests, bags are packed and waiting by the front door. Our friends that were going to join us had to back out yesterday, which was ok, so it turned into a mother/son trip. The fact that my teenager still wanted to go with just me and even said "Mom, we need some bonding time, this trip will be good for us" warmed my heart. But the more we talked, I found out he was nervous about testing positive to come home, but said he still wanted to go "if I wanted to" (mind you we were there end of May and didn't feel that way). That being said, if we got stuck there, he would miss the entire 1st week of school, and that's not a good way to start the year off.

    His concerns got me thinking, and I had a nagging gut-feeling that this is not the right time to go. When your subconscious is talking to you, you should listen. We are both vaccinated, but Delta is no joke and the number of breakthrough cases are on the rise everywhere. I'm in Healthcare (RN) so I was vaccinated 8months ago and I'm due for a booster in asap. Doesn't make me comfortable with the level of protection I still have. And lastly, our flight has a connection in FLL. so the 1st leg is a domestic flight. Not comfortable knowing most people on that flight probably did not need to have a negative covid test to fly. If it was a direct flight, maybe we would feel differently. Also, earlier in the week, the flight was only about 40-50% full and now it looks just about fully booked.

    Sorry for writing a book on here, lol! I'm not venting, just sharing the reasons for our decision. We have been fortunate to visit our home-away-from-home 3x in the last year (Oct 2020, Dec 2020, and May 2021). So until next time Aruba....we miss being there and will return when the time is right.

    Stay safe folks!
    Totally understand your reasons for cancelling. You DO have to listen to that gut feeling. Hopefully another beach trip will happen for you soon. And there is always next year! Our Sept trip is still on pending being able to test with timely results. Once we are there I know we will feel as safe as we do now at home in NE. Please God get us through the airports and plane safely!
    0 0
     

  8. #88
    Senior Member jpsphr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had reservations at the Marriott Ocean Club in May, postponed until August and once again postponed until October. At this point, we are planning to go, but airline is refundable, just in case. We are reading differing reports daily, it seems....
    Sigh! We haven't been in about two years, which breaks a streak of 9 consecutive years. We miss it. Maybe this October we'll get reconnected!


    0 1
     

  9. #89
    Senior Member NH Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, still going, not cancelling...
    0 0
     

  10. #90
    Senior Member coldsteel337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are scheduled to go in March of next year. I just cancelled a trip planned for later this month. Besides the Covid issues here and on Aruba we just don't feel like traveling right now. We'll probably do a few days in lake George or run up to Maine.
    0 1
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •