This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On your first Aruba Trip..............

Post Thanks / Like
    First trip was 15 years ago first stayed at tam all inclusive so much has changed miss those days bought first week at la cabana 2 years later have 2 weeks now brought friends who also fell in love with the place now we have our yearly reunion which is awesome
    1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello RubaGuy and welcome to the posting side!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubaguy62 View Post
    First trip was 15 years ago first stayed at tam all inclusive so much has changed miss those days bought first week at la cabana 2 years later have 2 weeks now brought friends who also fell in love with the place now we have our yearly reunion which is awesome

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning,

I love these 'look back' threads. They are a lot of fun.

My first trip was in 1980; and so started a love affair with Aruba that, after almost 40 years, shows no sign of abating. Read on and enjoy.

Preparation

No Internet in 1979 - 1980 when I started to seriously look at Aruba for a Caribbean vacation. I wrote to the Aruba Tourist Bureau in Toronto. About 6 weeks later a large brown envelope arrived. It was packed with all kinds of brochures, including one from Manchebo Beach Hotel. More about that one later.

Ok, let's get out the atlas

The look on my travel agent's face was a combination of incredulity and bewilderment. Once he saw I was serious about going to Aruba, he set about booking the trip. Northwest to Miami, o/night in Miami, then to Aruba the next morning on Eastern Airlines.

He booked me into Manchebo Beach as requested. And yes, that large palm tree at the shallow end of the pool was really there!, Just like in the brochure.

Yes, tie and jacket required.

Manchebo was owned by the same people who owned Talk of the Town, so we had dining privileges at both. ToTT was the special occasion restaurant for everyone in Aruba. The dress code for men there was straightforward. No tie, no jacket, no dinner!

Trekking, Aruba style.

The Aruba brochures mentioned gentle tradewinds. I went from the pool area to the water's edge at Manchebo. I didn't realize what a major trek it was, not to mentioned getting sand-blasted on the way back.

Sun, beaches, Amstel and friendly people.

My week in Aruba passed all too quickly. I fell in love with the place and that feeling has never subsided. So many of the things which make Aruba, well, Aruba are still there in abundance.

See you there in a little over weeks.

Glenn
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Our first trip was in 1996 for our Honeymoon. We stayed at the Hyatt and LOVED it. I have a vivid first memory of getting of the plane on what felt like the middle of a runway and walking inside. The hot air when you walked off the plane took my breathe away for a second but adjusted quickly.

Our first trip we did all the touristy things to do. We rented a jeep and went to all the beaches we could find, the lighthouse, downtown, the old natural bridge and we dined off grounds a lot, did a cruise etc.... I honestly cant recall everyplace we went- one was an Italian place, we went to the steakhouse at the Renn one night, ate at Ruinas Del Mar a few times as the service and food were just incredible!

We fell in love with the incredible natural beauty of the beaches and the amazing people. We were hooked from day 1.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 09-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    in 2006 when you arrived was there a reason that you did not deplane into the airport via the jetway?

My first trip in 1980, we deplaned on the tarmac and there were vendors there selling their treasures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Our first trip was in 2006 for our Honeymoon. We stayed at the Hyatt and LOVED it. I have a vivid first memory of getting of the plan on what felt like the middle of a runway and walking inside. The hot air when you walked off the plane took my breathe away for a second but adjusted quickly.

Our first trip we did all the touristy things to do. We rented a jeep and went to all the beaches we could find, the lighthouse, downtown, the old natural bridge and we dined off grounds a lot, did a cruise etc.... I honestly cant recall everyplace we went- one was an Italian place, we went to the steakhouse at the Renn one night, ate at Ruinas Del Mar a few times as the service and food were just incredible!

We fell in love with the incredible natural beauty of the beaches and the amazing people. We were hooked from day 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have zero idea to be honest with you. It was a charter flight I believe out of Boston.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry it was 1996- senior moment and I am not a senior yet, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our first trip was March 2011, originally we booked Sunday - Friday, AI at Holiday Inn but ended up adding 2 nights at Tropicana (because HI was full) so it became Friday to Friday. We did not know we were arriving on Carnival Grande Parade weekend. We didn't know what was going on or what to do. We ended up watching on TV at the holiday inn lobby bar with our personal "tour guide" who was the nicest bartender. For excursions we did Jolly Pirates and a full day ABC jeep tour. I think 2 planned events for a week long trip is just enough. Jolly pirates really made us fall in love with Aruba. We took the bus from Tropicana to get there and the driver was so nice. Then we had a great group on the boat with us and decent snorkeling. The guys working on the boat made it so fun. We did the jeep tour to see the natural pool and baby beach. Jon loved everything about the jeep tour, all I saw was more things I wanted to do and see without a tour. I do recommend a tour for your first visit if you are timid about where to go and what to see - the tour served us well to get ideas and feel relaxed. We did Moomba on Sunday night after the Grande Parade and it was a PARTY!!! We and had a blast and that was another "we have to come back" moment. The rest of our time was spend around Holiday Inn - we had all inclusive and spent most days on the perfect beach. At that time, people lined up in the morning for palapa reservations. I remember being amazed at the number of people who were returning for so many visits. Talking to those people in line in the mornings really made us want to come back.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My first trip - May of 2017. It was supposed to be a post school trip with a friend to Peru but that fell through. After much research, I found and got hooked on Aruba. I stayed in an Airbnb apt in Noord, which was fine and convenient. I did SUP Yoga in front of the Ritz (very cool, even if you’re not all that into Yoga), an island tour on the ATV, and had some yummy meals. I didn’t rent a car, but now I do because of the early sunset and I need a balcony wherever I stay because I just love to take in the morning and night air.
    Last edited by Bri; 09-23-2019 at 12:32 PM.

0 0