This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full leg cast - what we learned - Vendors have ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the resort. They may have bags you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by BranFamily View Post
    We are going to try trash bags. We just had that idea last night. Then there is only one place for water to leak in - at the top. Like I said - a work in progress.

Supposedly you pull saran/cling wrap tight and then hairdryer it to seal it. The cheap store brand we brought doesn't do that well, so on to garbage bags.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions. We did rent a side-by-side as that had lots of leg room and had a wonderful time out on the trails and roads.

One note - all the dust definitely gets inside a cast. If you don't have a waterproof one that can be "washed out" you will want to cover the cast and its openings to keep it clean inside.

Also, check the leg room - straight legs only fit in certain vehicles. The three seater had the best leg room and worked very well for us.

We also went snorkeling and since the water was calm, he just snorkled with his cast open to the water - its supposed to be okay with that, but of course I would make his doctors crazy with concern about the ocean water. Of course it is much clearer and cleaner here and not a lot of debris in the water. Afterward we had him rinse and go in the hot tub (yes, I realize they aren't always the cleanest but the jets move water through the cast pretty well) as it has more chlorine and then swim in the pool for a while to rinse, then showered. He did have to be carried from the sidewalk to the Delphi Water Sports hut so he didn't get sand in his cast and then down to the dingy. If you covered the cast with a bag or something they could crutch their way there.

Delphi staff was wonderful and even pushed him on the water swing as he couldn't run and get himself out away from the boat. They trusted us to establish his limits and were great to work with.

We have also given up on covering it in pool water. The liner is doing a nice job wicking the water from his skin. Hairdryer is just to lighten the weight and warm him up as the evaporation can leave him chilly.

FYI - when I called orthopedics at the hospital I was told they didn't have the waterproof cast lining and the best thing was to not need to replace his cast as its expensive. Urgent Care of Aruba does not do casts.

Bottom line: If a leg cast is part of the picture and you can reschedule - do - it's way easier to enjoy such a special vacation, but if you can't reschedule it will still be special but you'll need to think differently. The waterproof cast made all the difference. We used AquaCast and they would work with us directly so we could take the liner to our orthopedic department. We did ask our doc if he would work with us and he was willing to do so. Don't expect to just walk in with it and think they will do it on the fly. The rep went to the hospital and taught them how to use the new liner. Your doc and cast techs have to be on board.

When I have a few moments, I'll try and post some pictures - I haven't gotten them onto my laptop yet.

Best wishes to all of you and we did enjoy our time here!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to upload pictures, but it's just not working, even if I adjust the file size down to meet the site guidelines. Best wishes to you all! We had a lovely week and it is now time to head home.

Thanks for your great suggestions.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry that the photo feature is not working.
    When the glitch in the system is fixed I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BranFamily View Post
    I tried to upload pictures, but it's just not working, even if I adjust the file size down to meet the site guidelines. Best wishes to you all! We had a lovely week and it is now time to head home.

Thanks for your great suggestions.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I can upload pictures. If you want to private message me, I'll give you my email and I can try to upload the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full leg cast - what we learned - Vendors have ideas?-61319862_10161653110785562_1530350659210051584_n-jpg  

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple cool things to do is Philips Animal Garden and ostrich Farm. They are a real hidden gem, we love them. Sounds corny, but kids love Bingo and so do we. Nothing like a cash winnings to cheer you up! Bring some binoculars too, many cool ships go by. Military, cruise Ships, Oil tankers anchored out in the sea, ect. He can be the cool kid on beach patrol. Get him his own soft sided cooler with his favorite drinks and snacks so he has his beach bar. I bet other kids would be dying to share those binoculars and treats with him.
    Sean and Susan

Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    When I broke my knee 34 years ago(while pregnant) there was no such thing as a waterproof cast and mine went from top of leg to my ankle. We would put my leg in garbage bag,duct tape it to my leg and I would shower that way-haha good times!
    0 0