This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: yard critters

  1. #11
    Super Moderator WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Surf Club
    Posts
    4,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Wildlife is suppose to be in the wild...when its on my doorstep its no longer "wild" lol.
    Yeah, but snow....


    0 0
     

  2. #12
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    600
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! This string just made my day (it's weird in the office)! Here in southwestern Connecticut we get the usual, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons and deer. We have a family of deer that graze in our backyard almost every day. It's nice to look out the back and see Mama and fawns romping around. And lots of songbirds, which are my favorite. There have been a few coyote sightings and one actually ran across the road in front of my car a few months ago. If it hadn't been a new car, I must admit I might have put the pedal to the metal...


    0 0
     

  3. #13
    Super Moderator WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Surf Club
    Posts
    4,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    LOL! This string just made my day (it's weird in the office)! Here in southwestern Connecticut we get the usual, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons and deer. We have a family of deer that graze in our backyard almost every day. It's nice to look out the back and see Mama and fawns romping around. And lots of songbirds, which are my favorite. There have been a few coyote sightings and one actually ran across the road in front of my car a few months ago. If it hadn't been a new car, I must admit I might have put the pedal to the metal...
    No need to run them over... Some info on Coyotes put out by our local SPCA. https://vbspca.com/wildlife-411-coyotes/


    0 0
     

  4. #14
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only kidding, Walt! :-)


    0 1
     

  5. #15
    Senior Member coldsteel337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have plenty of deer, some coyote, squirrels, chipmunks, ground hogs, raccoons, bald eagles and red tail hawks. The ground hogs are the worst.
    0 0
     

  6. #16
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    the ground hogs are evil.
    when we lived in Maine, I leased a horse and the groundhogs (woodchucks) would dig holes in the turn out areas.
    those holes caused at least 2 horses to break legs
    which is a death sentence.

    son lives in Maine and has huge issues with them as well.
    and I will leave it at that.

    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    We have plenty of deer, some coyote, squirrels, chipmunks, ground hogs, raccoons, bald eagles and red tail hawks. The ground hogs are the worst.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  7. #17
    Junior Member Neesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the ground hogs are evil.

    when we lived in Maine, I leased a horse and the groundhogs (woodchucks) would dig holes in the turn out areas.
    those holes caused at least 2 horses to break legs
    which is a death sentence.

    son lives in Maine and has huge issues with them as well.
    and I will leave it at that.
    I heard those can be repelled with ultrasonic devices. After reading this thread and a couple of pest control guides I'm thinking that maybe I should get a couple of these... before I move to Maine.
    Last edited by Neesha; 04-10-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    0 0
     

  8. #18
    Senior Member purpleangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    63
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have all kinds of birds (including a pair of eagles), chipmunks, deer, raccoon, red fox, bobcat, woodchuck, and bear. I'm in Hartford County, CT, and a moose was at a neighbor's house a few weeks ago.

    Over the weekend, it was warm here so I opened up the windows. Heard a ruckus outside. It was three woodpeckers (the big ones, about 12"-18" with a red tuft on top of the head). They were either fighting over territory or a female. They can peck out a nest in a weekend.
    Darlene
    0 1
     

  9. #19
    Senior Member MAZOO-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being in Northwest Jersey on a private drive we have our share of squirrels, chipmunks, deer, foxes, hawks, etc. But once in awhile we get the bigger variety. A few years ago mama came through the back yard with her 4 cubs.yard critters-bear-1-jpgyard critters-bear-2-jpgyard critters-bear-3-jpg
    0 1
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •