PDA

View Full Version : US Customs questions

fireman40
05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello im currently in Aruba and needing some questions anwsered. We will be leaving on saturday. I was wondering if you only clear customs in aruba and not back in the states. How does all of that work i have not found a clear statement. Also, declaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it. What should we do. I see everybody carring jewelry bags they have bought. This is our first time to be in aruba. If anyone can help please do so it would be greatly appreciated.

Arubalisa
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
You will only go through U.S. Customs & US Immigration at the airport in Aruba. When your flight arrives in the U.S. you will be deplaning just as you would from any domestic flight.

http://www.airportaruba.com/images/Maps/Ground%20Floor%20MCA%20New.JPG (http://www.airportaruba.com/images/Maps/Ground%20Floor%20MCA%20New.JPG)

Procedure:

Check in
Enter the main building and go through Aruban immigration
Go through Security/xray checkpoint
Duty free shopping
Retrieve you luggage
Take your luggage and go through US Immigration
Place your luggage back onto the conveyor belt to be placed on the plane
Go through second security/xray checkpoint (see map)

Also, declaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it.This is their job. They know what to look for.

What should we do.What you are most comfortable doing.
If she is stopped and pulled out of line wearing the jewelery, you will at the mimimum, be asked to provide receipts showing the value and purchase date.
How would they know that you hadn't purchased it in the U.S. or a previous overseas trip?

It looks like the duty rate charged is 3% http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml)

Personal duty free exemption is $800 pp so $1600 for the two of you.

fattypatty
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
You only clear customs in aruba. If u wear the jewerely and don't report it then there's very little chance they'll know. But remember you'll be violating federal law under perjury. I believe you're allowed to bring $x without paying tariffs. You should ask the jewelry store.

cindyo
05-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello im currently in Aruba and needing some questions anwsered. We will be leaving on saturday. I was wondering if you only clear customs in aruba and not back in the states. How does all of that work i have not found a clear statement. Also, declaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it. What should we do. I see everybody carring jewelry bags they have bought. This is our first time to be in aruba. If anyone can help please do so it would be greatly appreciated.

Relative got stopped with the same situation. They somehow knew it was NEW as it was so shinny....Declare it all and IMOP don't try to skip thru with it.

Be prepared to have an aggravating long time at the airport. Its not a fun 2-3 hrs for more reasons than 1( leaving). You pass thru international customs and US customs all in one time. Picking up and re-picking up luggage is hard.
Oh well, its what ya gotta pay for having a perfect vacation.

Helmut
05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Bought my girlfriends engagement ring in '06 in Aruba, she wore it home on her finger with no problems with customs. Who's to know?

Helmut
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
If it's in your carry-on in new jewelry boxes, now that's a different situation.;)

fattypatty
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I presume jewelry in aruba is legit? I hear of a lot people that buy jewelry but I just can't get myself to do it....

Bill
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
[eclaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it. What should we do. I see everybody carring jewelry bags they have bought. This is our first time to be in aruba. If anyone can help please do so it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I mail my receipts home. That way if they look they cant find them.

cindyo
05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I presume jewelry in aruba is legit? I hear of a lot people that buy jewelry but I just can't get myself to do it....

yes, its real and legitimate.

Chadd
05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Be prepared to have an aggravating long time at the airport. Its not a fun 2-3 hrs for more reasons than 1( leaving). You pass thru international customs and US customs all in one time. Picking up and re-picking up luggage is hard.
Oh well, its what ya gotta pay for having a perfect vacation.
The only "customs" on flights to the US is US customs ,you only go through customs when you enter a country. When leaving you go through Aruban passport control, Aruban airport security, US Customs and Aruban airport security again (in case you removed anything from your checked bag on your way through customs)

cindyo
05-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Chadd, thanks for clarifying...I know whatever it is it is a long time !!! CINDYO

bertho
05-02-2009, 06:41 AM
We brought jewlery ,and we make the store send the receipt at home this way you don't have any receipt with you .They can't find any paper on you . You probley said they clean it and polish it for you .
Look the people on the cruise come out with alot jewlery .If is only couple hundred you keep you receipt .
Have a good vacation ginette:)

silverfox82
05-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Do you really want to chance getting caught with undeclared jewelery? The reason Aruba has so many jewelery stores is because they do a brisk business and US customs job is to ferret out the undeclared merchandise, which they are quite good at. Actually the burden of proof is on you to prove you didn't buy it on the current trip by providing receipts from the purchase or registering it at a customs office before you leave the states. One of the quirks in the law is that you can bring any amount of unset stones into the us without paying duty and then have them set in the states. A few years ago I purchased a diamond neckless for my wife and declared it as it was well over the limit and was just waved thru so it really is arbitrary but $8000 might get their attention. Good luck.

cindyo
05-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Do you really want to chance getting caught with undeclared jewelery? Good luck.

Ditto...don't screw around...you don't need your passport flagged.

rob o
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Ditto...don't screw around...you don't need your passport flagged.

Every year, I take our jewelry receipts from Aruba and put them in an envelope. I take them with me every year. If we get questioned (which we never have), I'll produce receipts to demonstrate that jewelry had been purchased over a decade.

Arubalisa
05-02-2009, 09:20 AM
You may also register your times with US Customs so they will be on record.
Tip: Register Items Before You Leave The United States
(http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/register_items.xml)http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf (http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf)

Every year, I take our jewelry receipts from Aruba and put them in an envelope. I take them with me every year. If we get questioned (which we never have), I'll produce receipts to demonstrate that jewelry had been purchased over a decade.

Helmut
05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
An assortment of high end new jewelry is one thing, but I've never heard of anyone declaring a ring or watch purchased anywhere in the Carribean and I don't think Aruban Customs is that concerned as long as you spend a boatload of money on their island.

Chadd
05-02-2009, 10:37 AM
An assortment of high end new jewelry is one thing, but I've never heard of anyone declaring a ring or watch purchased anywhere in the Carribean and I don't think Aruban Customs is that concerned as long as you spend a boatload of money on their island.
#1 It's not Aruban customs, it's US customs
#2 It is a felony to lie on a customs declaration form
#3 I've declared everything I've purchased outside the country, though we usually keep our purchases under the $1600 max

Helmut
05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
#1 It's not Aruban customs, it's US customs
#2 It is a felony to lie on a customs declaration form
#3 I've declared everything I've purchased outside the country, though we usually keep our purchases under the $1600 max

I guess that makes myself and many others that travel to the island chronic liars;). Interestingly enough, last time on departure through Aruban Customs I didn't take my laptop out of it's bag(I never do going through Boston Customs) and the guy had me get out of line and he ran the bomb detector cloth over it, but it came out clean and off I went. I know what he was thinking-another snotty american.:doh:

cindyo
05-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Helmut, Declared both. Watch $6000, many rings $ 2000+
You just heard it from me.
We've been 12 yrs in a row, I don't intend to be flagged...
I agree with Chadd.

silverfox82
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
i think Helmut is confusing customs, security and imigration which can be even more confusing when the airport you are leaving from has US C+I to preclear you to the states. My advise is only to not underestimate US customs officers ability to possibly ruin your purchase of undeclared items (or drugs for that matter) when coming home from anywhere. One of my closest friends is C+I and its pretty amazing what they find.

rob o
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Helmut, Declared both. Watch $6000, many rings $ 2000+

I paid WHAT for that watch??? ;)

cindyo
05-02-2009, 04:58 PM
i think Helmut is confusing customs, security and imigration which can be even more confusing when the airport you are leaving from has US C+I to preclear you to the states. My advise is only to not underestimate US customs officers ability to possibly ruin your purchase of undeclared items (or drugs for that matter) when coming home from anywhere. One of my closest friends is C+I and its pretty amazing what they find.

Thank you for that info.

Chadd
05-02-2009, 06:34 PM
i think Helmut is confusing customs, security and imigration which can be even more confusing when the airport you are leaving from has US C+I to preclear you to the states.
Exactly

Andrea J.
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
we are admitting to sneaking stuff thru customs?

telling each other our sins?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_112.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824QWUS)well, maybe i did once or twice........ or not. ;)

andrea
with my $60 Fossil watch that i got mothers day 2001 at little switzerland that is just as good as day one............some day a rolex

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxdm824QWUS (http://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb112_ZNxdm824QWUS&utm_id=7920)

DANNYO
05-02-2009, 09:20 PM
:doh:My first question is it really less expensive to buy jewelry in Aruba?I looked at a few stores and didn't seem to find any great bargains.Spending $8000 on jewelry in Aruba ,I hope you got a great deal on you pieces.

rob o
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
we are admitting to sneaking stuff thru customs?

telling each other our sins?

Not us..... not worth it.

By the way....when entering Aruba this year and carrying a bag of duty free liquor, the Aruban customs person asked if we had anything to declare. I replied "what would we declare?". He said alcohol. Well....I was holding a bag with it so I said "sure....four liters, here it is!". He said....travelling alone?....my reply "nope, party of four" and pointed to Cindy, Kate and Jen.

That was it.....no duty and we were on our way!

Chadd
05-03-2009, 12:18 AM
:doh:My first question is it really less expensive to buy jewelry in Aruba?I looked at a few stores and didn't seem to find any great bargains.Spending $8000 on jewelry in Aruba ,I hope you got a great deal on you pieces.
We got pretty good deals on loose emeralds while we were there and my wife has picked up some tasteful stuff at gem stones international for roughly half to two-thirds the marked price.

cindyo
05-03-2009, 07:40 AM

Dannyo, the art of buying jewelry is to negotiate there, 33% of the ticket price is about all you should pay. Walk away if you don't like the price.
We feel good in stores such as KAYS and feel the value of their products is excellent. Others, not so sure....