PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Food from States to Aruba?

arubadebbi
06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
When I bring a few steaks from home to Aruba instead of blue ice things - I throw in frozen juices which work out great for drinks later in the week =0)

ndmetaxas
09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Has anyone brought food from the states into Aruba? Like the frozen steaks from Omaha steaks? How did you pack them etc.......any suggestions? :confused:

Sgroi135
09-11-2009, 08:05 AM
I have not brought any, but there have been many discussions about it. People have put frozen meat into their luggage in a soft cooler and have arrived frozen solid.

you can check this thread, it is the first that I found.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/question-seasoned-aruba-travelers-40581/

Andrea J.
09-11-2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=337470

tons of comments and suggestions at the link.
we have done it successfully!
andrea

Arubagirl90
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
We have brought frozen meat in the 90's and had no problems. We would buy the meat that was cryovacked. Freeze it. Buy a thermal type freezer bag, you can get them at Walmart or Sam's Club. Put your frozen food inside and close it up tight. We used to bring a large hard suit case with our food inside. That was before the 50 lb weight limit too. We would eat most of our meals in our timeshare because our kids were small and it was just easier.

They are grown and we eat our dinners out now. We now just buy our stuff in Aruba with all of the great markets.

Have a great time.

Tom and Karen
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
We brought steaks with us this week. Everything went fine.

I had our local grocery store freeze them (their freezer is much colder than ours). Used a styrofoam cooler & when we arrived, they were still frozen. Our travel time from house in U.S to freezer in Aruba was 15 hours.

ndmetaxas
09-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Thank you all for your comments very helpful

Eagle Beach Boy
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
We brought steaks with us this week. Everything went fine.

I had our local grocery store freeze them (their freezer is much colder than ours). Used a styrofoam cooler & when we arrived, they were still frozen. Our travel time from house in U.S to freezer in Aruba was 15 hours.

Save a couple for us. :D

sunworshipperII
09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I always bring a batch of sauce w/meatballs some eggplant (frozen) and last trip some frozen calzones they stay frozen. I put them in may carryon luggage it was fine.. As far as meat Ling & sons as awesome meats, but you sure can bring your own...

Andrea J.
09-11-2009, 07:24 PM
a few trips ago, in my carry on, i brought a container of frozen pasta sauce with meatballs.
it was confiscated and tossed at TSA at logan :(
apparently frozen spaghetti sauce (rock solid) was considered a liquid.

oh well.
andrea

I always bring a batch of sauce w/meatballs some eggplant (frozen) and last trip some frozen calzones they stay frozen. I put them in may carryon luggage it was fine.. As far as meat Ling & sons as awesome meats, but you sure can bring your own...

Tom and Karen
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Save a couple for us. :D

Had steaks last night & they were excellent. Sauted some Aruba mushrooms, & had potatoes & onions from the grill.Already planning on bringing more steaks next Jan.

See you then. :)

TomFrederick
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Just don't carry them in Carry-on as some stuff may be taken away.
Last trip had coffee in Carry-on and they stopped me. Opened up the bag to see what it was. It was OK but they do make a mess going through your bag.
:doh: I'll put it in checked next trip. Also don't carry even a few medical pills in a shirt pocket. One year those set off the alarm.

arubadebbi
11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
musicman - if you want to bring steaks but can't use blue ice (not allowed) I would grab a few frozen juice cans and use that instead of ice cubes...

Andrea J.
11-09-2009, 05:08 PM
frozen juice is not allowed either.............it is liquid thawed. :-(

if transporting in checked baggage, no issue.
as carry on, they treat frozen liquid as if it is liquid.

ArubaDolores
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
A tip I learned many years ago is to line your cooler with newspaper, which helps to hold in the cold and keeps foods frozen longer. I usually bring a couple of the hard coolers that holds 6 drink cans in my checked luggage. I put one frozen ice pack in between the frozen food items. I'm from Houston and leave the house at 6:30 in the morning and land in Aruba about 3:00 p.m. which means I don't arrive at my timeshare until 4:00 p.m. and foods are still frozen. I do the same if I'm bringing some pre-made dips that I have put in zip locks and again the frozen ice packs are usually still frozen.
Hope this helps.
Dolores

Angelwhispers31
02-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Not that I plan to do a whole bunch of cooking while we are down there....but I am interested in knowing what we can and can't bring to the island. We do plan to put stuff like cereal, quick meals, and snacks in there..but what is allowed in our bags on the plane (carry on or checked luggage)

Thanks for any information

Arubalisa
02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Carry On Info from the TSA
http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm (http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm)

There are some excellent ideas at
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/bringing-frozen-meat-aruba-36323/ (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/bringing-frozen-meat-aruba-36323/) for taking food stuffs to Aruba.

Angelwhispers31
02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much Lisa!!!!

Arubalisa
02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
More good info :)
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f18/andrea-paul-j-aruba-ptl-43314/#post163201 (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f18/andrea-paul-j-aruba-ptl-43314/#post163201)

TomFrederick
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
>>> " checked luggage"
---- In checked if its canned, boxed, packaged(meaning proccessed); just about anything.

sunworshipperII
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I have taken frozen food like sauce and calzones in my carryon. Cereal, snacks cookies as long as it is not liquid or opened your fine. Checked luggage is fine to take food also

jasta
03-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Just curious. When my family travels to Disney, we pack some snacks in the suitcase to take with us (granola bars, small cereal boxes, etc.). Are you allowed to bring food like this into Aruba? I really do not plan on going to a supermarket when there, so just wondering what I can bring from home for the kids. Thanks!

Andrea J.
03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
the short answer is YES bring whatever can fit in your checked luggage!
other thread that goes into a lot of detail
click below
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/bringing-food-states-aruba-41013/

TomFrederick
03-29-2010, 04:48 PM
>>> "whatever can fit in your checked luggage!"
------ Ditto. Would not try to carry some stuff in carry-on. Last year I had a can of coffee in carry-on. While a can of coffee is OK they had to pull me over to a table and open up small suitcase to see what it was.
:doh: Not again. Will put in checked. I make my own coffee in the mornings.

cindyo
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Just curious. When my family travels to Disney, we pack some snacks in the suitcase to take with us (granola bars, small cereal boxes, etc.). Are you allowed to bring food like this into Aruba? I really do not plan on going to a supermarket when there, so just wondering what I can bring from home for the kids. Thanks!

Pack away...anything you can get into your suitcase is worth taking...except fruit I believe...We take coffee, granola bars, easy mac, blocks of cheese, english muffins, peanut butter, microwave popcorn, crackers, goldfish...

cindyo

BigPapa
03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Not in my check-in luggage....but as a carry on...collapsible coolers...We bring frozen..vacuum packed meat...Steaks...chops..hamburger...

Can never seem to find the same quality as home..plus I bring meat to give to friends on the Island...They always seem excited to get it.

sunnysmiles
03-30-2010, 07:02 AM
One couple we met while there last week said they had 50lbs of food in one bag and their clothes in another. They brought anything from snacks to frozen meat, potatoes, onions...you name it!

Andrea J.
03-30-2010, 07:11 AM
the way i figure it.........if it FITS and it works for you/your lifestyle, go for it!!
so many of us are wanting to "eat in more often"......for reasons that are pretty commonplace
- financial concerns
- making use of the timeshare kitchen
- just plain tedious going to a restaurant every night

hubby and i ate IN more than ever during our last aruba trip.
we brought some frozen food/meat and other things in our checked luggage.
it worked out well for us.
since AA does not charge for international checked bags, we figured it was a win win situation.
it worked for us.

danadog56
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
the way i figure it.........if it FITS and it works for you/your lifestyle, go for it!!
so many of us are wanting to "eat in more often"......for reasons that are pretty commonplace
- financial concerns
- making use of the timeshare kitchen
- just plain tedious going to a restaurant every night

hubby and i ate IN more than ever during our last aruba trip.
we brought some frozen food/meat and other things in our checked luggage.
it worked out well for us.
since AA does not charge for international checked bags, we figured it was a win win situation.
it worked for us.

that has always been why we eat in,,,,its cheaper to eat in and then choose a favorite or 2 and one new choice to go out during our stay.
as for packing groceries...we also pack all kinds of things that are cheaper to pack then to buy on the island......since I have status with USAir I can take 2 bags and Dh is allowed since he travels with me...so 4 in all is alot of groceries...(we dont really take that much though...)

sunnysmiles
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
We figured eating out for breakfast and dinner took up to 5 or 6 hours of our day! We started eating breakfast in and only dinner out (we rarely ate lunch) about every other night. The days seemed so much longer and the pocket book heavier!

jasta
03-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone. I will be packing away!

angelone
03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi, I bring frozen Pizza and meat pie and pack it with a Ice Pack and it stays in the bag and is still frozen when we get to our room plus we bring all kind of breakfast supplies.

Pattyt
03-30-2010, 01:42 PM
We bring booze and lots of it in the checked luggage. A real money saver over the course of two weeks.;)

Andrea J.
03-30-2010, 04:23 PM
for those that choose to do as pattyt does and bring lots of booze in checked luggage....be forewarned that aruba customs officers occasionally do spot checks of stuff coming in to aruba. if you have more than the allotment per person there will be a duty to pay.

We bring booze and lots of it in the checked luggage. A real money saver over the course of two weeks.;)

Arubalisa
03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
for those that choose to do as pattyt does and bring lots of booze in checked luggage....be forewarned that aruba customs officers occasionally do spot checks of stuff coming in to aruba. if you have more than the allotment per person there will be a duty to pay.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/customs-37169/ (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/customs-37169/)
Aruba Customs on Liquor (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/customs-37169/)

Andrea J.
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
ALLOWANCE DUTY FREE
1 litre of distilled beverages or 2.25 litres of wine or 3 litres beer

3 litres of beer isn't all that much is it?

corona
04-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Are we allowed to bring in fresh fruit (ex. apples)?

Same rules for dried fruit, such as raisins?

Thanks.

Pack away...anything you can get into your suitcase is worth taking...except fruit I believe...We take coffee, granola bars, easy mac, blocks of cheese, english muffins, peanut butter, microwave popcorn, crackers, goldfish...

cindyo

Pattyt
04-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Even if they did check your carry-on luggage(which they never have, even last November 2009). If they charged you a tariff of 21% on top of what you paid for the liquor in the states, it would still be far less expensive than buying in Aruba IMHO. I guess I've just been lucky the past few years:doh:

cindyo
04-02-2010, 08:42 AM
The last time we went thru customs AFTER we had our suitcases they were questioning people with what they might want to report. We were lucky to have 4 of us so we were able to carry 4 bottles thru. Another behind us wasn't so lucky and had to pay $11.00 for each bottle over their allotment. There we were a couple and had 4 bottles, thus they paid 22.00....

Andrea J.
04-02-2010, 09:05 AM
i think many of us have been lucky.
:doh:

Even if they did check your carry-on luggage(which they never have, even last November 2009). If they charged you a tariff of 21% on top of what you paid for the liquor in the states, it would still be far less expensive than buying in Aruba IMHO. I guess I've just been lucky the past few years:doh:

Pattyt
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
The last time we went thru customs AFTER we had our suitcases they were questioning people with what they might want to report. We were lucky to have 4 of us so we were able to carry 4 bottles thru. Another behind us wasn't so lucky and had to pay $11.00 for each bottle over their allotment. There we were a couple and had 4 bottles, thus they paid 22.00....

Exactly, At $11.00 a bottle on a 1.75 Liter bottle it would still be cheaper than buying in Aruba, not by a whole lot, but still cheaper.

mandylovestotravel
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Glad I read this thread! I will plan to bring a 2 bottles of Absolute and 1 Baccardi now. Plus my necessary peanut butter, protein bars and crystal light!

cindyo
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Glad I read this thread! I will plan to bring a 2 bottles of Absolute and 1 Baccardi now. Plus my necessary peanut butter, protein bars and crystal light!

Mandy...just b careful they don't go thru your luggage, or they will make you pay duty on the overage of liquor.

mandylovestotravel
04-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Mandy...just b careful they don't go thru your luggage, or they will make you pay duty on the overage of liquor.

Since there are three of is then the three liter bottles is okay, correct? One for each of us...

Andrea J.
04-06-2010, 10:19 AM
yup works fine.
cushion those bottles well in checked luggage.
or transfer them into plastic water bottles....but still cushion.

Since there are three of is then the three liter bottles is okay, correct? One for each of us...

CandyC55
04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Can anyone tell me why the dog was let out at US Customs on our leaving of Aruba someone said the dog was looking for food? We returned 2 weeks ago.

Andrea J.
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
the dog was probably looking for drugs

and there are certain food items NOT allowed to be brought out of aruba and into the USA (fruit/produce and lots of other things.....cold cuts that are already in sandwiches)

Can anyone tell me why the dog was let out at US Customs on our leaving of Aruba someone said the dog was looking for food? We returned 2 weeks ago.

sbardolf
04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
We packed one carry on with cereral for our son, and honestly he only ate the cereal once. We have a mini fridge in our room as well, so we walked to the "supermarket" and it is stocked with juices, milk and some Balashi Beer!
I am glad we brought the goldfish, and cookies for him, but you can buy most of these items here anyway.

mandylovestotravel
04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
cushion those bottles well in checked luggage.
or transfer them into plastic water bottles....but still cushion.

Since I am a frequent cruisers; I use Rum Runners (http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/) for my liquor transporting to ensure my clothes remain clean and dry. They work perfectly! After 16 cruisers, I can testify that they do not leak or burst. And they must also go through ship security because none have ever gotten confiscated.

Arubalisa
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Detector Dogs: CBP's "Secret Weapons"
(http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/highlights/border_sec_news/canines.xml)"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has an elite workforce that works for room and board and playtime. They work in air-conditioned airports, over rough and dangerous terrain, they travel the deserts and the deep forests, roam through vehicles at exhaust choked land border crossings, and inspect warehouses that are either hot or cold depending on the season. They are loyal and do their duty unquestioning. That workforce is made up of the more than 1,200 canines that detect narcotics, hidden or lost people, explosives, currency, and contraband agriculture products."

Canine Enforcement Program (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/port_activities/canines/canine.xml)
"As their core mission, CBP Officers use specially trained detector dogs to interdict large quantities of illegal narcotic substances, concealed humans, smuggled agriculture products, and unreported currency at our nation's ports of entry. The Canine Enforcement Program is also involved in specialized detection programs aimed at combating terrorist threats at our nation's borders and international airports."

lemarier
04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
We too use the rum runners and they are GREAT!!

Andrea J.
04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
the thing about the rum runners is that folks bring them as carry on and that makes me uneasy

cindyo
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Yep, you SB fine...enjoy.

mandylovestotravel
04-09-2010, 05:20 PM
the thing about the rum runners is that folks bring them as carry on and that makes me uneasy

Wow, I wouldn't risk taking them as a carry-on the way security is now with liquids. I have never know anyone to bring them as carry-on either; I would be scared they would get confiscated that way and lots o money in the trash! I use them to ensure no spillage or bottle breaking plus they pack easily since they bend and flex around clothing, shoes, etc. So for that they are very handy

Andrea J.
04-09-2010, 06:25 PM
exactly very handy.
the thing that i mentioned my uneasiness is the video on their website showed the person putting them in their pocket....almost looked like the person was trying to sneak it thru.

i have got a friend that like his scotch and is a frequent cruiser. he always has his bottles of scotch confiscated when going thru cruise ship security.
he certainly would make good use of the "rum runners".
(the cruise lines do not care that one is bringing on liquids as a security threat...they care that one is bringing booze that takes away from booze revenue sold on the ship.)

Wow, I wouldn't risk taking them as a carry-on the way security is now with liquids. I have never know anyone to bring them as carry-on either; I would be scared they would get confiscated that way and lots o money in the trash! I use them to ensure no spillage or bottle breaking plus they pack easily since they bend and flex around clothing, shoes, etc. So for that they are very handy

dwe2
04-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to bring packaged food into Aruba, ie canned tuna, crackers, cold cereal, I have a little one traveling with me and she only likes certain cold cereal. Any help you can give would be appreciated. I read somewhere in this forum that you can but can't find it now and want to make sure. Thanks :)

Andrea J.
04-10-2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/anyone-bring-food-their-suitcases-44523/

check out this thread about food.
welcome to the forum!

Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to bring packaged food into Aruba, ie canned tuna, crackers, cold cereal, I have a little one traveling with me and she only likes certain cold cereal. Any help you can give would be appreciated. I read somewhere in this forum that you can but can't find it now and want to make sure. Thanks :)

ChuckiesDad
04-10-2010, 07:32 PM
What To Bring On Your Vacation (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f35/what-bring-your-vacation-31275/)

www.aruba.com/forum/f35/what-bring-your-vacation-31275/ (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f35/what-bring-your-vacation-31275/)

sunscreen
04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Everyone wants to chime in :D

We'll if you're staying at the Surf Club - you will definitely want to plan for food as that's one of the key features of the timeshare. All the above post/replies are right on the money. Lings, Certified or one of the markets is a must - the key is not to over do it because it's nothing worse than trying to figure out what to do with all that food you did not consume. Also, since most food in Aruba is imported in, our strategy is to pack (as long as it remains in the original wrapping) our favorite meats and we get fresh fish when the fisherman arrive right by the docks adjacent the surf club.

Anyway, just chiming in with my 2 cents as in about 6 weeks I'll be waving to everyone from our 11th floor villa :plane:

Arubalisa
04-11-2010, 12:29 PM
What Food Do You Bring in Your Suitcase?

dwe2
04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the good advice - I will begin to pack away

sunnysmiles
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
All we brought was some trail mix and snack bars. In the future I could see us bringing a lot more (peanut butter, cereal...)

Retagger
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I bring the following in my checked suitcase:

* One ten (10) pound box of frozen shrimp (Under 10 size - very large)
* Frozen lobster tails from Costco
* Frozen king crab legs from Costco
* Several kielbasas (Great on the grill)
* Several spicy Portuguese sausages (Fantastic on the grill)

So far, all have survived the trip and have arrived still frozen.

Regards,

sunscreen
04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Things we can't purchase in Aruba......without being ridiculous, otherwise you'll be forced to pay an extra luggage fee.
Basically....seasonings, coffee (peets) and special cuts of meats we get from our butcher but not like hauling 10lbs +.
We used to get our seafood from Lings but since have established a great relationship with local fisherman who provides us with snapper, lobster, etc.:rolleyes:

rob o
04-12-2010, 07:49 AM
These are the things we brought with us this time...
micro wave popcorn, cashews, pringles, dip mixes ( buy sour cream here), blocks of cheese, pepperoni, humus, peanut butter, frozen bagels, english muffins, portuguese muffins, butter, cream cheese, water drop ins.
I pack these in an LLBean lunch bag with those blue ice frozen ice things. Arrived bagels still sllightly frozen. Glad we did.
CIndy

sunworshipperII
04-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I usually bring my sauce (frozen), calzones (frozen) microwave popcorn that I like. Crystal light mix (for pitchers and small water bottles) picky candy (licorice) DD coffee, tea bags just off the top of my head....

arubamark
04-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Regards,

David PM me when you are going again. I like the way you travel! ;)

nhtimesharers
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
We pack Bisquick pancake mix (in plastic bottle cause it's so lightweight) snacks, peanut butter & jam, tuna, mayo and other condiments along with breakfast foods. This year we'll try some frozen meat too. Any suggestions on the most successful way to pack them and keep them frozen? We travel non-stop from Boston in Jan. Thanks for the help.

Chadd
04-24-2010, 11:34 PM
I saw a guy trying to take a jumbo sized jar of peanut butter through security in his carry on bag the other day. No matter how they tried to explain it to him, he just couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to take it on the airplane.

Weimaraner
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Regards,

Wow David we own a seafood business and you take more than we do:D Just curious how you pack your frozen items? in a checked cooler? It seems like we are always at our limit with suitcases however I have some things in storage in Aruba so we should have lighter bags in the future.

TraciW
09-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Just booked our very first trip to Aruba for this January. Very excited as none of us have ever been. I wondered about the rules/laws of bringing wine or a cooler with meats in. We have done this in the Bahamas and Puerto Rico but wondered about Aruba. We are staying in a villa and cook in a lot. We are from Iowa and own a wine store so naturally it would be nice to have beef and good wine. Thoughts anyone?

Andrea J.
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
re: bringing in wine

Customs Rules
Import regulations::
Free import by non-residents older than 15 years (residents may import half the duty free quantities). If more is imported the whole quantity is dutiable:
1. 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars;
2. 1 litre of distilled beverages or 2.25 litres of wine or 3 litres beer;
3. gift articles up to a value of AWG 100.-.

and as far as groceries go
the grocery stores in aruba are excellent.
it is not necessary to bring in a lot or really any at all.
we do bring a few things.

TraciW
09-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks Andrea! Isn't it funny that you can smoke yourself to death but you can't bring wine in for a few libations? Just gets me. 200 smokes vs a few glasses of wine. Most places are the same. It just makes me smile. I thank you for your post. I look forward to visiting your Aruba soon in hopes that we love it as much as you do. Good wine selections in the markets? Not snobs but we own a wine store and just want some good values. Best, Traci

Andrea J.
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM
we have found that lings grocery has a nice wine selection.
we have become very fond of the wines from CHILE.

ArubaDolores
09-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Traci, I agree with Andrea that the selection of wines and food, though more expensive, is very good at most of the grocery stores in Aruba. Everyone to their own opinion, but I also shop at Ling and Sons and their wine selection is excellent, and you can find wines from all over the world. A good selection from both Chile and Argentina is available. I have brought a few bottles of my favorite wine that I am unable to find in Aruba and have never been checked. Packed well in bubble wrap and then sealed in double zip locks has worked for me.\; never a broken bottle. Not to say I won't be checked, but am willing to pay the price if I am. I hope you and your family come to love Aruba as we do and return many, many times. Post a trip report upon your return. We look forward to hearing what you think about "Our Home Away from Home."
Dolores

Shnyda
09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
We were going to bring a cooler on the plane our last trip, but decided it was more trouble than it was worth. We did bring duty free liquor in from the airport in the US. 1 litre per person.

agill72
09-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Can you bring Cuban cigars back to the USA?

Andrea J.
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
no the cuban embargo is still in effect.
no cuban cigars allowed into the usa as of today

Can you bring Cuban cigars back to the USA?

Andrea J.
09-12-2010, 09:25 AM
http://cigars.about.com/od/cubantradeembargo/qt/0062002a.htm
click the link for a few paragraphs about cuban cigars etc..

Arubalisa
09-12-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/cuban%20cigars.html

Arubalisa
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Helpful Hints for Holiday Travelers 2010 (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/holiday_travel.shtm)
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/holiday_travel.shtm

"Traveling with Food

Everyone has favorite foods from home that they want to bring to holiday dinners, or items from their destination that they want to bring back home. Travelers should know that while pies are permitted through the security checkpoint, here is a list of liquids, gels and aerosol items that you should put in your checked bag, ship ahead, or leave at home.

* Cranberry sauce
* Creamy dips and spreads (cheeses, peanut butter, etc.)
* Gift baskets with food items (salsa, jams and salad dressings)
* Gravy
* Jams
* Jellies
* Maple syrup
* Oils and vinegars
* Salad dressing
* Salsa
* Sauces
* Soups
* Wine, liquor and beer"

sunworshipperII
01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok so who has taken food to aruba and checked the bag..
No problems... so nervous that it won't be there when we land... can you put those gel packs in there... I know you can't if you carry the food on but what about putting through checked baggage. any problems...debating what to do. Any food I have usually put in my carryon but this time we are bringing more food so hubby says check the bag..

EHampite
01-16-2011, 09:46 AM
We just took food down in October...steak, pork chops, chicken breasts, bacon, canadian bacon, sandwich meat. We froze it all before we left, packed them first in zip lock bags and then in an insulated frozen food bag. Went right into our suitcase and upon arrival everything was still frozen. Worked out well. We saved money because we buy in bulk at BJs and had this stuff at home anyway. Cut down on our Aruba grocery bill significantly!

Good luck - it was very easy for us. :)

Andrea J.
01-16-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/bringing-food-states-aruba-41013/
check out these posts

danadog56
01-16-2011, 10:46 AM
we have never taken frozen food with us...usually the higher end expense stuff (even in states) like balsamic vinegar and EVOO, and never had a problem...might try the frozen stuff this year since everyone that had done it has said it works great....

MarthaC
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Last year we took 2 suitcases full of food. Peanut butter,pasta,crackers ,cereal,breakfast bars,and some frozen stuff had no problem. With a 3 and a 6 year old it just makes sense. This year though we have to pay for the extra baggage.

sunworshipperII
01-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah we will have to too...but I think 50.00 for baggage v/s the cost of the food may be ok

MarthaC
01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
definitely agree with you there sunworshipper II :)

RFAMIGLIETTI
01-18-2011, 04:54 AM
We are there for two weeks so I first trip is to Price Smart. They will give you a one day pass and you can stock up on some items there. Beer and soda is a little cheeper. They have wonderful meat section. It's like BJ's or Cosco.

bst10s
01-27-2011, 10:06 AM
We bring wine to Aruba every year. You are allowed 3 bottles per person. Pack it in a wine shipping 6 pack and check as luggage. Most restaurants allow you to bring wine for a corkage fee.

dslomba
02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
what are some dry grocery items to best bring with for a week vacation?
I am looking for things like say cereal, maybe bottled water since maybe these are expensive?

CK1
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
What to bring?
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli! :D
(Guess I watched too much "The Godfather" LOL)

There are some large groceries stores on Aruba with excellent food! Many items are Dutch and sooo delicious! IMO, worth trying them out. I always bring a few items from Aruba when returning home to the USA as they can not be found here. Like those excellent Dutch cookies.

And water: Aruba has one of the best water in the world. No need at all to buy bottled water. You can just take it from the tap and put it in the fridge to have cool water throughout your vacation.

Arubalisa
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
what are some dry grocery items to best bring with for a week vacation?
I am looking for things like say cereal, maybe bottled water since maybe these are expensive?
http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/packing%20food.html

AndyM
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
We usually bring a couple of pounds of coffee and some coffee mate and sugar for the first morning's coffee before we go grocery shopping. You can eat very well with what's available at the major markets.

I like to cook and the hardest part is dried herbs and spices. I usually confine my cooking to simply seasoned dishes so I don't have to bring teaspoonfuls and tablespoons of a dozen different spices or buy bottles of the same spices in Aruba.

What I do bring is a couple of sharp kitchen knives, an instant read thermometer, tongs and a corkscrew as the kitchen in our timeshare is not well equipped.

Ariel
02-17-2011, 01:25 PM
1 box of Nature Valley "oats n honey" bars
1 12ct box of Gatorade mix
1 bag of craisins
1 bag of mixed nuts
Quaker Oats
LARA bars
Gatorade gel (for long hikes)

I plan on picking up fruits and veggies along the way to eat for lunch and dinner. I'm also going to bring my small airtight tupperware to soak my oatmeal over night for breakfast. I don't eat alot when I wake up in the morning but most of the foods im bringing are for the morning or midmorning snacks.

rogerwaldrup
02-21-2011, 01:49 AM
I would usually carry some long lasting snacks, dried vegetables and some frozen meat.. :)

Arubalisa
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
See updated policies for Customs

Aruba customs.

Import Regulations by Aruba customs

Free import

• 200 cigarettes or
• 50 cigars;
• 1 litre of distilled beverages or
• 2.25 litres of wine or
• 3 litres beer;
• Gift articles up to a value of AWG 100
• Unlimited amount of perfume

Prohibited

• Illegal drugs
• Guns, explosives and ammunition
• Knives and deadly weapons
• Furs
• Precious stones
• Perishable foodstuffs requiring refrigeration
• Plant and plant products
• Foreign soil
• Pets and animals without prior permission
• Dogs, cats, monkeys and parrots from South America
• Meat and meat products
• Counterfeit money and goods
• Pornographic material

Restricted

• All animals being imported into the country will require a Veterinarian Health Certificate from the country of origin issued less than two weeks prior to your arrival. Dogs and cats will require an additional Rabies Inoculation Certificate proving the animal’s protection against the disease. Dogs and cats less than four months old are exempt from requiring any rabies vaccinations providing prove of the animals age is included on the original certificate.
• Leather imports of Haiti origin are unlikely to be accepted into the country.
• Log and limber products from Liberia including posts, poles, tables, crates and tables are all prohibited from entering the country.

here is the reply i got from one of the nice folks at the ATA office
Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the delay in reply but it took a while to gather this info.

According to someone we spoke with at the Customs office, it is ok to bring a small cooler with a frozen meats or dinners. Small quantities are ok as long as they do not try to sneak in the whole cow J

Hope this helps clear thins a bit. Anything else just let me know!

Have a great day!