PDA

View Full Version : curious about a flight i booked.

kbtraver
09-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I booked a flight from DCA washington to AUA on American Airlines. I leave the 1st of nov. thru the 8th. Since this will be my first flight without my mom. I booked it with a friend. The lowest i could find was 419 but with tax ended up at 520.70 per person with tax. This is with one layover both ways in MIA for over two hours.. (miami florida) When looking through us airways which i tend to fly more it was over 700 dollars with 2+ layovers. Did i get a deal or should i look somewhere else? Does anyone know how long the flight is from Balitmore/Dc area if it was non-stop as well? How is customs there as well? easy to get through? Thanks a lot. Kaitland

Andrea J.
09-17-2009, 10:42 PM
you got an OK deal
not terrific but certainly not at all bad

the baltimore flights connect thru miami too on american and thru charlotte on usair and thru atlanta on delta anyway you look at it, it is about 6 +/-hrs including the stops and transfers.

the lucky travelers are the ones in the northeast ny, nj, boston area
more flights, more selections, better pricing (usually)

you did fine
now is the time to plan your vacation not 2nd guess your flights.
you did well

andrea

I booked a flight from DCA washington to AUA on American Airlines. I leave the 1st of nov. thru the 8th. Since this will be my first flight without my mom. I booked it with a friend. The lowest i could find was 419 but with tax ended up at 520.70 per person with tax. This is with one layover both ways in MIA for over two hours.. (miami florida) When looking through us airways which i tend to fly more it was over 700 dollars with 2+ layovers. Did i get a deal or should i look somewhere else? Does anyone know how long the flight is from Balitmore/Dc area if it was non-stop as well? How is customs there as well? easy to get through? Thanks a lot. Kaitland

Andrea J.
09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
i forgot to say

welcome to ATA's community forum

andrea

Arubalisa
09-18-2009, 12:32 AM
We paid about that for a ticket from Atlanta on Delta last year. In years past have paid more! You didn't do too bad. Like Andrea said, don't second guess, relax and enjoy!

Flight times should be listed on your itinerary. If you are flying after the U.S. changes clocks back to standard time, the U.S. will be one hour "behind" Aruba time. Flight times will be listed as the time for the city.

When you depart Aruba you will also be going through US Immigrations and US Customs. There is a very thorough description of the process at http://www.orrin.org/aruba/ (http://www.orrin.org/aruba/). Scroll down to the bottom of the page to "airport notes".

Chadd
09-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Sounds like an average price and having a decent length layover is never a bad thing. It gives you, and your bags, time to make the next flight. Aruban customs is not difficult at all, though the line may take 20 or 30 minutes if other flights arrive at the same time yours does.

kbtraver
09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks so much on the info. I actually just canceled that flight. My moms boss had tons of free tickets from flying so much. So im flying FREEE. :-) I'm flying jet blue which ive never been on. But did end up getting free coach seats. Sadly i think its a big layover. Either way i'll be there first of november. Wish me luck. :D

Andrea J.
09-18-2009, 11:33 AM
free is ALWAYS good
long layover.......ipod or laptop for entertainment

andrea

Thanks so much on the info. I actually just canceled that flight. My moms boss had tons of free tickets from flying so much. So im flying FREEE. :-) I'm flying jet blue which ive never been on. But did end up getting free coach seats. Sadly i think its a big layover. Either way i'll be there first of november. Wish me luck. :D

Sgroi135
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Can I ask how you go the free tickets for Jet Blue. They do not allow sharing of Jet Blue Points. I'm just curious. Share the info for free tickets!!!!

Andrea J.
09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
re: jet blue reward travel

a jet blue traveler collects miles/points.
he/she can redeem those for air tix one way or r/t.
those air tix can be issued to whomever the mile/point owner designates.
(we have done this for jet blue to florida from portland me and from boston)
or is there something that i am misunderstanding about your question anthony?

andrea

Can I ask how you go the free tickets for Jet Blue. They do not allow sharing of Jet Blue Points. I'm just curious. Share the info for free tickets!!!!

Sgroi135
09-19-2009, 10:11 PM
re: jet blue reward travel

a jet blue traveler collects miles/points.
he/she can redeem those for air tix one way or r/t.
those air tix can be issued to whomever the mile/point owner designates.
(we have done this for jet blue to florida from portland me and from boston)
or is there something that i am misunderstanding about your question anthony?

I was under the assumption that tickets points could not be transferred. I was told that my wife and I would both need to collect points to get tickets. So you are saying that I could accumulate points and then use them to purchase tickets for me and my wife? (and even kids if i have enough)?

I was looking at getting the Amex card from Jet Blue for the points. But I was told that me and my wife would both need the card, If she wanted to be able to get a ticket from points.

Andrea J.
09-19-2009, 10:40 PM
well i do not have the list of rules in front of me but
last year we went to FLA from portland on JB

the miles/points were accumulated by my husband

he in turn used those points to obtain 2 r/t tickets 1 for him and 1 for me

he is sound asleep now, but i will question him again tomorrow morning

andrea

Sgroi135
09-20-2009, 09:17 AM
HMMMMM Interesting!

But you cannot combine points, so the points that your ticket earns goes into your TrueBlue account Correct?? Sorry for all the questions

Andrea J.
09-20-2009, 02:00 PM
an individual earns points that goes into HIS or HER own true blue account.
points are accumulated as one flies but no points are accumulated during award travel.
points are also acccumulated using the jetblue amex card.
the jet blue amex card is affiliated to 1 jet blue true blue account.

your points stay in your own account
what's yours is yours.

no moving husband's points from his trueblue account into wife's trueble account.
(AA does allow moving miles from one account to another for a fee)

if one's jetblue true blue account earns enough points for a ticket or 2 or more.........the owner of the account can trade those points into tickets and then assign names to the tickets.
ex:
a friend from one of the other bulletin boards is going to aruba on november 28.
she is using her jet blue rewards for a ticket
she had enough miles to get another free ticket and is bringing her niece.
they are flying out of jfk.

andrea

Arubalisa
09-20-2009, 02:35 PM
No small worder so confusing...http://crankyflier.com/2009/08/03/earning-points-in-jetblues-complicated-new-trueblue-program-part-1/

So in other words, "True Blue" points earning from flying are transferable, but those earned through AMEX membership rewards are not?

Sgroi135
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I think i get it!

So if I accrue 200 points in my True Blue Account, I can use them for 2 r/t tickets.

Plain and simple i guess.

But If i have 175 points in my trueblue account, and my wife has 25, we cannot combine them to get a ticket.

It really does not matter whether the points are recieved from Fyling or from Amex purchases. Correct me if I am wrong, but points that are gotten from the Amex Card are transferred to True Blue Points at a 200:1 ratio.

So to conclude. I Can by other tickets with my True Blue Points, as long as I have enough to purchase a ticket.

My head is spinning!

Andrea J.
09-20-2009, 04:57 PM
from the way i understand it YES.

andrea

I think i get it!

So if I accrue 200 points in my True Blue Account, I can use them for 2 r/t tickets.

Plain and simple i guess.

But If i have 175 points in my trueblue account, and my wife has 25, we cannot combine them to get a ticket.

It really does not matter whether the points are recieved from Fyling or from Amex purchases. Correct me if I am wrong, but points that are gotten from the Amex Card are transferred to True Blue Points at a 200:1 ratio.

So to conclude. I Can by other tickets with my True Blue Points, as long as I have enough to purchase a ticket.

My head is spinning!

Sgroi135
09-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I am actually thinking of getting the Amex Card. I will actually get one for me and one for my wife, so that travel points wont be lost. So even if she gets a ticket every other year, that is fine. We will use my Amex for purchases, other than the ONE that she needs to keep her points current. Then hopefully I will be able to get 2 tickets each year. Too bad my kids' points will just expire.

Sorry for hijacking the thread! I will leave this alone for now.

:D:D:D

Andrea J.
09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
this kind of hijacking is ok.

have a good night anthony
andrea

Sgroi135
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
this kind of hijacking is ok.

have a good night anthony
andrea

Night Andrea!

fattypatty
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
my wife and i have the amex jb card. i worked it out and we'll get a free trip every 4 years.

we get 24 points/trip to aruba x 4 = 96. but if i buy the jb tickets with the amex card i get 2x the points - which makes up the shortfall.

also, in b/w those 4 years we will probably go to other places in b/w our resting grounds in aruba which will allow us to accrue our points even quicker.

all in all, it was worth 40/annual fee.

silverfox82
09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I had a trip to sxm on aa last month and AA screwed around with it, non stop to a connection in MIA, departure times at 6am, it just kept getting worse so I cancelled it. I had 2 one way awards and a pretty good credit on Jet Blue so I worked with an agent, well worth the extra money. I used the 2 award legs for my wife and myself on the more expensive outbound flight and the credit against the much cheaper homebound leg, this with the coaxing of the agent. So you can use awards and credits for others, at least I did. Love JB