PDA

View Full Version : RI Newbie!

lorichad
01-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok .....so I have never have been to Aruba but have always wanted to. Impulsively bought airfare today so now we are committed! The hubby and I are going April vacation with teen boys (15 and 17). Looking for best place to stay and things to do. Any suggestions will be great.

Sunny Beaches
01-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, check out the Tamarijn & Divi Divi resorts AI, they are not 5 star, but very clean, and right on the beach, also with kids that age, going AI, (all you can eat buffet, pizza bar, and sit down for you all included with the AI), sister resorts so you can use both, with Windows on Aruba for the romantic sunset dinner.

Arubalisa
01-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

Many choices on where to stay, what are you looking for in a resort?

Like Sunny Beaches said, the Tamarijn is good choice if you do not mind a 3 star resort. Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free. It is just a bonus that all of their rooms are directly oceanfront? :rolleyes: :)

For a 4 star resort there are the Marriott, Hyatt, Radisson and Westin resorts on Palm Beach. Palm Beach is a very active area, lots to do within walking distance.

lorichad
01-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! We want someplace clean with lots to do and the chance that other teens will be around for the boys to hang with. The Tam/Divi looks nice but I worry that the boys will get bored at night. I am looking at a timeshare option at the Marriott Surf Club but worry about it being too crowded during April school vacation.

Arubalisa
01-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Either would be a good choice. For different reasons. There are others here who can speak about the Surf Club and the crowds.

I can say that there is no worry about the boys being bored at the Tamarijn at night. There are two billiard tables as well as a wide screen TV between the lobby and the pool area. Next to the pool is a Pizza Bar offering many foods kids that age LOVE. The area is a BIG hang out for the kids at night. With "kids stay and eat free" at the Tamarijn, there are never a short of kids at the resort.

lorichad
01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I have been reading Tam reviews all evening and I think I am sold! I would need to get 2 rooms though.....connecting would be best but it depends on the rate. The website says they will give 2 rooms at a discounted price. I emailed them to see what it would be. Thanks for your input!

Arubalisa
01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your input!
You are welcome. :)

We have been to the Tamarijn four times.
First trip we had 4 kids ages, aged 11, 13, 15 and 18.
Fourth trip we had kids 9, 13, 15, 16, 17 and 20.
Trips in between we traveled with our dd who was 12 and then 13 along with friends of ours who also have two girls close in age to our dd.

I think the only time the kids complain is if the self serve ice cream runs out and they have to go home at the end of vacation. :(

I have tons of photos of the resort here (http://www.arubabound.com/photos/htl/tamarijn/tam.htm).

cindyo
01-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Lorichad...we too are from RI...traveling with 2 teen girls..16 & 18...
Where are you going to stay??

We stay at the Rennaissance suites, perfect for 4 & have been doing it for 14 trips.
My kids love to do the following:
Snorkel trip on Palm Pleasure
Walk the outdooor mall at the high rise areas & watch the water show
Go driving( permit) and learn in the desert
Shop
Jolly Pirate or Midushi boat
Go to Carlos and Charlies, we drink, they go down the water slide
Parasail- high rise
tubing
They like their independence downtown and often go out to eat themselves, movies, shopping....

Give me a hallor if ya need more ideas...
Welcome, cindy

Aruba Duece
01-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Ok .....so I have never have been to Aruba but have always wanted to. Impulsively bought airfare today so now we are committed! The hubby and I are going April vacation with teen boys (15 and 17). Looking for best place to stay and things to do. Any suggestions will be great.
If you like the high rise hotels we have been staying at the property that is now The Westin and love it there. Great staff and convienent location. A short bus ride to downtown shopping or grab a cab. The high rise area has plenty of nice restaurants and lots of shopping with recently opened shopping area down towards the Holiday Inn.:rolleyes:

lorichad
01-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to be doing a lot of research today.

Edronenburg
01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Missed last year; but, we have stayed for many years at the Marriott Ocean Club; and also the Surf Club. Accompanying us are two teenage boys...16-17. They always seem to be having a splendid time.

I am sure that after a bit of research and determining what your finances and needs are, along with the many suggestions from the Forum members, you will find the ideal place and have an absolutely wonderful time.

Ed

Rekenna
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
If you give me exact dates, I can swap out my La Cabana one-bedroom for Sept and see if I can get April for you. It's a really gorgeous place. Let me know.