PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Questions

Aruba4ever
01-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Hello All, anyone have any experience with staying or owning at Gold Coast. It looks really, really nice. I would love to hear from someone about their experiences staying there, owning would be even better. Thanks.

gaby
01-17-2016, 12:47 PM
We stay there every year. Just booked for nov & December. Love it. We rent 3 bedrooms. Not sure I'd feel the need to own there but renting is great

Aruba4ever
01-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks Gaby, it looks like a potential spot to spend NYE at some point. I am holding out hope I can get a spot on Palm Beach reasonable to rent Mon-Mon over NYE. I saw a place that recently sold for and it looked amazing! I could not afford to buy a vacation place in Aruba at this point in my life unless I knew it could 100% be rented for close to covering my expenses....and that is not very likely I am thinking. And owning in Aruba from the US would create issues that would be difficult at best I am guessing. I then looked at the rental options and they seemed reasonable for the time of the year but would require me renting a car that I don't like doing at this point...

hineskl
01-24-2016, 12:07 PM
We have been traveling to Aruba for the past 15 to 20 years. We have owned timeshare at the Ocean Club and lastly at the Divi Phoenix. We sold the time shares and purchased a town home at Gold Coast 3 years ago now. We still only get down to Aruba one time a year. I am not certain that there is anyone renting there property at Gold Coast 100 percent of the time unless they have a long term rental for the year. We have been very happy with owing at Gold Coast. Long term plan is to spend more time in Aruba as we move towards retirement. There are things about owning in a foreign country that have been difficult, but overall a good experience. We always rent a car when down. It opens things up for more options. We like the fact that we can spend the day by the pool at Gold Coast or go to the beach. We walk Palm Beach everyday while down and then go spend the day lazing on what ever beach we choose for the day. The town house has chairs and towels and all beaches in Aruba are public, so you can sit where ever you want as long as you do not use the palapas at the resort. It is nice to go back to a laid back area away from the action of the beach at the end of the day. We don't eat out all of the time and find that cooking out on the patio and having time to sit out and talk over cocktails just adds to the vacation. That way when we eat out, we can get a little more carried away for the night out. Some folks want to be on the beach. We miss that at times, but overall I think you would be very happy at Gold Coast. Especially over that time frame, having been at Divi during that week before!!

Aruba4ever
01-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks for responding. I am in the Aruba pits at this moment...My reservations for my trip in 3 weeks were screwed up by the Ritz...they put my family of 3 in a room for 2...I got a follow up confirmation email today (we booked 5 months ago)- to get me in a room for 3 it would cost me several thousand dollars more than the crazy amount I was already willing to pay....I am not a happy man today at all! I now have reservations at the Hilton and the Ritz....I will be canceling one of them, most likely the Ritz if they can't get me into a room for what I paid.....and the chances of that, zero!

Sorry or venting.

Liz - Aruba Lover
01-24-2016, 07:01 PM
WOW Jay that really stinks. I hope it works out for you.

Aruba4ever
01-24-2016, 07:20 PM
It does stink. I just opened my original confirmation that was sent to me in August...all looks fine. club level, king bed, req roll away bed....then I notice 2 people....I spent a half hour on the phone booking my trip....they knew I had a 6yr and wife...how they put me in the wrong room is beyond me. That said, finding the error 5 months ago would have been much easier to fix. I now have the a Deluxe Room on the former "plaza club level" at the Hilton...similar benefits to the Ritz but not the ritz, and not the price either. I will be thrilled to go regardless of where we end up... I am already over it and have come to grips with the fact that I will be going back to the Hilton which I have always enjoyed, unless the Ritz manager steps in...time will tell. On the plus side I have almost 200 credit at the Hilton for some free lunches....breakfast is included as are drinks in the evening- I will survive, lol. Life is to short, and I have more important things to worry about unfortunetly than were I spend my trips.

cindyo
01-24-2016, 08:21 PM
I can't believe a 6 yr old added to a room costs any money.
Whats up with that?
The rollaway should cover that, doesn't it?
Does Ritz charge for kids?

Andrea J.
01-24-2016, 09:41 PM
i am guessing that the room that was reserved was a room for 2?
by adding a 3rd (even though a child) is the deal breaker.

i am shocked that the ritz, just does not turn their head and call it "no big deal", but it may be agains the occupancy regulations.

years ago before the renaissance marina was "adults only", i booked using priceline ...2 adults, 1 child at the marina tower. upon check in we request a roll away bed for kevin. (he was about 14) we got the rollaway for a $10 fee per night. on the 3rd day we were summoned to the front desk and givne our "walking papers".
they explained to us that 3 were not allowed in the room.
we were credited the full refund and taken over to the ocean suites for our 1 remaining night.

it was inconvenient, and kind of embarrassing,
but we made out in the deal...we got all of our money back and got to spend 24 hours at the suites.
I can't believe a 6 yr old added to a room costs any money.
Whats up with that?
The rollaway should cover that, doesn't it?
Does Ritz charge for kids?

Aruba4ever
01-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Cindy- The person I spoke with, and then their manager..said that 3 people can't be in the room I reserved. My question about how it was booked in the 1st place can't be answered because they were not on the phone with me....I sent a personal message to the general manager at the Ritz Carlton in Aruba explaining the situation. I have a call into the Ritz Rewards consumer affairs department but they don't work on Sundays. I am not looking for a different room, I don't want anything for free either...so I have no clue whats going to happen. My best guess is I am spending this trip at the Hilton by the looks of it and I will be okay with that. I won't have to either walk 20 min or take a cab when I play poker at the Hilton each night, 3 weeks from this minute and I will be playing- I am looking on the bright side already...

cindyo
01-24-2016, 09:48 PM
A room is a room is a room.... That said, enjoy your son and wife where ever you sleep!
I know you love the Ritz, but it might be time to say , " See you later" if they can't figure out how to make a return guest happy on their screwup.

Aruba4ever
01-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Andrea, you are correct about the 3rd person being the deal breaker regardless of his age. The only way this gets thru is with the blessing of the general manager at the Ritz, and despite me being one of their most loyal guests I am not sure they are going to make any exceptions for me. I was looking online and there would be a room I could get into but it would be 2k more than I paid already, just for a "bed" for my son to sleep in, in the same room category. It will certainly cost the Ritz money not to have me over a roll-away bed. Not only don't they get my initial money, they wont get all the meals either...

Penny wise and pound foolish? Only time will tell. Not pleased at first, actually beyond mad to be honest but I am now thinking a bit more clearly and will deal with the final results and won't do much complaining. My only complaint would be not seeing all of the people I have met there...oh well, I am moving on.

Aruba4ever
01-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Cindy, I have 3 free nights I will be spending at the Ritz in April most likely, then adding day for a quick 4 night trip. My 2 week vow renewal trip is really up in the air for August. My son loves the Hyatt because of the pool slide, I would the love the Hyatt with a full balcony and I control that if I book a suite, which I am prepared to do if the Ritz can't figure it out. That said, its partly my fault as well- I should never trust people to do things right, I typically don't but I never worried about it for a second...

I don't like drama in my travel life, I use travel to get away from the real world, lol. I really almost don't care at this moment, I just want to know so I can get into my travel mode..I can be happy almost anywhere in Aruba and if the Ritz does not figure it out in 48 hours I will cancel with them and enjoy the Hilton, again.

Andrea J.
01-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Aruba4ever....i like your attitude. I wish that i could let things roll off my back as you.

Please keep us posted.

Jacki
01-25-2016, 08:38 AM
Glad the serious frustration seems to have been let go. Good luck and don't let them ruin an awesome time in Aruba.

Aruba4ever
01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Below is the response I received at 7:30 this morning from the general manager.

Good Morning Mr. Dupuis,

I am more than happy to assist you with your reservation. I am so sorry that you have had frustration in booking your room this visit. Allow me to fix to ensure you are in a room that will accommodate 3 people. We are truly looking forward to having you stay with us again and I know your son will enjoy his time with us. I will get follow up with you before the end of the day to let you know that it has all been corrected.

Tiffiany Holmes
Hotel Manager
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba

Aruba4ever
01-25-2016, 10:26 AM
This is one of the reasons we go to the Ritz...they have the yes I can attitude...I am so thankful that I did not lose my mind and I was somewhat reasonable...lol. It looks like I will be canceling my Hilton reservations and going were I always wanted to be, despite putting on a good face. Wow do I love everyone at the Ritz, and I will be sure to introduce myself to Ms. Holmes when we arrive in 20 days!

Andrea J.
01-25-2016, 10:34 AM
hooray!!

Aruba4ever
01-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Tiffany has already confirmed my reservation and actually bumped me one category in a room level as well. I am glad I did not bash the Ritz for the mistake...they stepped up big-time to make sure me and my family are happy with prompt service and an excellent ending to a crappy weekend.

Jacki
01-25-2016, 11:22 AM
Very cool.

Liz - Aruba Lover
01-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Great news.

~Amy~®
01-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Tiffany has already confirmed my reservation and actually bumped me one category in a room level as well. I am glad I did not bash the Ritz for the mistake...they stepped up big-time to make sure me and my family are happy with prompt service and an excellent ending to a crappy weekend.

You are going to love the lounge on the Club Level - it's amazing (as is the service!)

Aruba4ever
01-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Amy I can't wait to experience the club level. Everyone at the Ritz is amazing and I am sure the club level workers are the top of the bunch, if that is even possible... I am glad I decided to email the hotel manager directly to explain my situation, she fixed the error instantly.

On a different note, the Hilton was really good as well. When I canceled my trip with them this morning, they offered me 200 off my next trip there....I passed on the offer as I was just pleased to have my trip back as I had planned initially and don't have any plans not to continue to stay at the Ritz Carlton for future trips.