PDA

View Full Version : No- to Quarantine -Please STOP RUMORS NOW PLEASE

Andrea J.
06-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Different folks are posting and ASKING on other forums/bulletin boards about
"when Aruba opens its borders will all tourists/visitors be required to quarantine for 14 days before they move on to enjoy their vacation?"

Where are people getting this idea?

Rumors create nothing but anxiety and worry.

B Likes To Travel
06-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Assumptions. Common sense would dictate that Aruba wouldn’t open it’s boarders to tourism
if people would be automatically subject to a quarantine. Testing positive on the island could be a different scenario.

GETA62
06-08-2020, 12:45 PM
During a televised forum yesterday evening where representatives of the aforementioned organizations were present, several of the protocols and preparations were discussed. These included airport screening with temperature checks, short interviews by doctors, and flow control at the airport. It was indicated that any suspected cases at the airport will be subject to a test with a result available within 45 minutes. There was also mention of an obligatory insurance that all visitors would be required to have to cover certain costs related to COVID-19 protocols and procedures in case of a visitor testing positive, including a hospital stay or ICU placement if required. The intention is to combine the insurance requirement with the mandatory ED card application procedure. Protocols for isolation and transportation of positive cases are also being finalized. In terms of facility updates at the airport, plexiglass shields would be in place at all counters, sanitation protocols in all airport areas have been revised, PPE equipment will be mandatory for all airport staff, air quality at the airport will be enhanced, and airline protocols will be updated. Information was also provided about preparations at accommodations, including glass/plexiglass shields on check-in, contactless room entry, rigorous sanitation regimens etc. More information and details on these protocols and procedures are anticipated soon from the respective authorities.

gaby
06-08-2020, 01:03 PM
I keep hearing about this insurance but find it funny that they would require that when they don't accept it, number one. you must pay with cash or credit card. and number two, no trip insurance covers it. My personal health insurance does cover it and would reimburse me. so to require you to get something that is useless and they don't accept upfront seems like they are grasping at anything.

Arawak
06-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Fairly simple: hearsay.

By far the biggest problem in Aruba and almost all so called news agencies here follows it. People simply refuse to read for themselves and rely on info from friends or family. Problem is that that friend or family also heard it from someone else or completely missed the point themselves.

One bit of "new" info though is that the OMT(Outbreak Management Team) in a letter dated June 3rd, has advised the Dutch Caribbean Islands to NOT open the borders with the US or Latin America because cases are still increasing and are not under control.

Can't translate right now, but here is the article: https://www.noticiacla.com/news/19540

gaby
06-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Since the majority of their tourism is the US, they might as well stay closed. Alot of people I have been hearing are saying if Aruba makes it too much of a hassle, this is suppose to be a vacation, they will look elsewhere. I love Aruba but if it becomes a job to get there, not worth it. I understand their concern for their citizens but since tourism is their bread and butter, they have to understand some people might get through, no one wants that but your only other choice is close down to tourism and find another way to sustain your people. I remember a couple of years ago so many people with stomach flu, me included. and what about this mouth foot disease that people were getting from the hotels. I think it boils down to they want more of the elite coming to Aruba and not us ordinary people. No problem.

Arawak
06-08-2020, 02:12 PM
Since the majority of their tourism is the US, they might as well stay closed. Alot of people I have been hearing are saying if Aruba makes it too much of a hassle, this is suppose to be a vacation, they will look elsewhere. I love Aruba but if it becomes a job to get there, not worth it. I understand their concern for their citizens but since tourism is their bread and butter, they have to understand some people might get through, no one wants that but your only other choice is close down to tourism and find another way to sustain your people. I remember a couple of years ago so many people with stomach flu, me included. and what about this mouth foot disease that people were getting from the hotels. I think it boils down to they want more of the elite coming to Aruba and not us ordinary people. No problem.

This is loaded with more assumptions and really I have no idea why. All islands in the Caribbean rely on tourism. Aruba as of yet, compared to other islands, has the most seamless protocols2 in place for when tourists return. Temp checks, rapid tests(of 1 hour because it's more reliable than the 15 minute one), ppe etc etc. Really, no hassle at all for tourists.

Aruba also knows that some people with Corona will get through. That's logical. The protocol is nothing more than a barrier. It won't catch everything, but hopefully it catches most. It's the entire reason why our emercengy care unit has been expanded and will continue to be expanded. So that we can manage the cases we get once border reopens.

As for the "elites" comment, not sure what that's about. Aruba has for years now been looking for a switch away from the mass tourism market and that hasn't been a secret. It's for the benefit of everyone involved, including the tourists themselves. It has no relation on people who have been coming to Aruba already. It's a gradual change that will happen over decades.. Just like it took decades to get to the mass tourism we had before covid.

B Likes To Travel
06-08-2020, 02:23 PM
I look forward to hearing the new guidelines once finalized by the government. We are all anxious to get back. All the speculation is making heads spin. I'm sure Aruba will go with what's best for the country. They're clearly taking the time to get the details and precautions ironed out and that is much appreciated. :)

gaby
06-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Actually, I was commenting on the part where the OMT suggests to not let us from the U.S. in. We are about 70% of all tourism that comes to Aruba. I know there are other Caribbean islands but that is not what we are talking about, we are talking about Aruba.

Arawak
06-08-2020, 02:36 PM
Actually, I was commenting on the part where the OMT suggests to not let us from the U.S. in. We are about 70% of all tourism that comes to Aruba. I know there are other Caribbean islands but that is not what we are talking about, we are talking about Aruba.

The OMT is medical based. So, if they think the risk is too high, it probably is from a medical perspective. It would've been a colossal waste of time and money to have months of lockdown, only to open up too soon, get a spike in cases that the ICU system can't manage and subsequently needing to close the border up again and enter into a 2nd lockdown. That is something that Aruba certainly can't afford. Better safe than sorry.

Personally speaking, I am very proud of how they are handling the situation. It's clear we have support of the Netherlands for wage subsidies. So as long as we have that and employers can maintain the majority of the employees, with the rest being caught by the government support of 1000 per month, we'll be OK. How long we can manage being in that limbo, time will tell. 50% of the population is in risk of losing their jobs. Netherlands certainly dsn't want this because it would mean mass migration to NL which they want to avoid.

Traceyd14
06-08-2020, 02:42 PM
My interpretation, purely speculation, the covid related insurance that continues to be
Mentioned will be in addition to any travel insurance you normally purchase voluntarily. I understand the need to offset costs, and see this as being a type of surcharge or tax that you will be required to pay as a visitor.

Traceyd14
06-08-2020, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=gaby;360751]Since the majority of their tourism is the US, they might as well stay closed. [QUOTE=gaby;360751]

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. We have remember that Aruba is their own country, with their own needs and priorities. Yes, they benefit from the American tourists, but not solely. Making a choice to open to countries who have the virus under control makes the most sense to bring in some income from tourists.

Aruba4ever
06-08-2020, 02:51 PM
I took it that way as well. Its almost like an entry fee that will go into a fund to pay for any expenses related to Covid. Another fee but I get it. I support any reasonable measure to safely open up Aruba to tourists so they can bring some money in. The Netherlands won't want to support 100k for long periods of time so lets pray this ends quickly.

My interpretation, purely speculation, the covid related insurance that continues to be
Mentioned will be in addition to any travel insurance you normally purchase voluntarily. I understand the need to offset costs, and see this as being a type of surcharge or tax that you will be required to pay as a visitor.

gaby
06-08-2020, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=gaby;360751]Since the majority of their tourism is the US, they might as well stay closed. [QUOTE=gaby;360751]

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. We have remember that Aruba is their own country, with their own needs and priorities. Yes, they benefit from the American tourists, but not solely. Making a choice to open to countries who have the virus under control makes the most sense to bring in some income from tourists.

i guess we can agree to disagree!

robin
06-08-2020, 03:29 PM
I think people may get that idea because areas of the US have put in stipulations to travelers, such as Florida requiring a 14 quarantine for people from the metro NY area(NY, NJ, and CT) and New Orleans.

WaltVB
06-08-2020, 06:47 PM
But back to the original posting... please stop repeating and posting what you've heard from your friends on the island. Your personal thoughts are okay, but the rumors and speculation aren't helping anyone right now. Ask Arawak, a lot of locals are just passing rumors that take on a sense of reality because people keep passing the same rumors till nobody knows what is the truth anymore. Lets all just wait until June 15th and see what the official word is from the Tourism Minister. It's only 7 more days...

Aruba4ever
06-08-2020, 10:45 PM
No worries Walt we/me will NO longer post any inside info and I will stick with my opinions. In honest...my sources are way better, lol.

WaltVB
06-09-2020, 07:02 AM
No worries Walt we/me will NO longer post any inside info and I will stick with my opinions. In honest...my sources are way better, lol.

Good, thank you.

Aruba4ever
06-10-2020, 01:06 AM
Be well Aruba and all my Aruba friends.

Mr. Ratt
06-11-2020, 04:12 PM
See you all next year....