PDA

View Full Version : Do we stay or do we go?



Nicole Kiladitis
07-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone! So we booked our trip to Aruba waaay back in January (we were so excited, it would be our first time). January feels like a lifetime ago. I have really valued everyone's information and trip recommendations. This forum is a treasure! We are now at decision day for our family as we need to cancel our booking by Monday in order to receive a refund from our hotel, the Divi. We are ready to take all the necessary precautions for the flight and while we are in Aruba. My husband's main concern for the trip is if it will be the experience we were hoping for when we first booked the trip or if we should just postpone the trip for another time when things resume to "normal". We would be traveling with out 13 year old daughter. I realize no one can make the decision for us, but any advice or thoughts you have would be more than appreciated.

ArubaAce
07-17-2020, 02:09 PM
That is a tuff call and very personal.

What month are you going?

Yes it will be a different experience on account of all the regulations required for travel for your safety and others. The experience will be different because they just started to open up so a lot of restaurants are also probably opening up slowly.

I think there are plus and minuses to the experience. Focusing on the positive you will have full access to the most beautiful beaches in the planet without worrying about beach huts, less crowding at restaurants, supermarkets. I think the negative experience might just be the traveling, airport but they seem to be pretty well organized than other islands, places.

Good Luck!

Nicole Kiladitis
07-17-2020, 02:18 PM
We will be going August 19 through the 25th.


That is a tuff call and very personal.

What month are you going?

Yes it will be a different experience on account of all the regulations required for travel for your safety and others. The experience will be different because they just started to open up so a lot of restaurants are also probably opening up slowly.

I think there are plus and minuses to the experience. Focusing on the positive you will have full access to the most beautiful beaches in the planet without worrying about beach huts, less crowding at restaurants, supermarkets. I think the negative experience might just be the traveling, airport but they seem to be pretty well organized than other islands, places.

Good Luck!

B Likes To Travel
07-17-2020, 02:19 PM
I would postpone and cancel the hotel to get your money back. As Ace mentioned, the upsides are less crowding but the overall experience may be worth waiting for since its the first trip.

Most of us here go at least once per year, sometimes more, and though we love it and know what to expect (under usual circumstances), many are still opting to wait things out.

I should've been going in the next few weeks, but I'm waiting to see how things play out before I choose a new date.



Hi everyone! So we booked our trip to Aruba waaay back in January (we were so excited, it would be our first time). January feels like a lifetime ago. I have really valued everyone's information and trip recommendations. This forum is a treasure! We are now at decision day for our family as we need to cancel our booking by Monday in order to receive a refund from our hotel, the Divi. We are ready to take all the necessary precautions for the flight and while we are in Aruba. My husband's main concern for the trip is if it will be the experience we were hoping for when we first booked the trip or if we should just postpone the trip for another time when things resume to "normal". We would be traveling with out 13 year old daughter. I realize no one can make the decision for us, but any advice or thoughts you have would be more than appreciated.

Pegmeister
07-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Such an individual decision. We cancelled our November trip as we are high risk. I would love to be there now. I imagine it will be a different experience but you will still have those beautiful beaches with a spot for yourselves.

Andrea J.
07-17-2020, 03:04 PM
personal decision.

let me answer the question with a question...................do you feel safe letting your 13 yr old ride on a plane with masks......knowing that some have tested negative .........knowing that some will test in Aruba?

do you feel safe knowing that if you or your husband test positive...you ill be separated and the infected person will be in isolation and the other 2 quarantined?

I think it is a lot to ask us and I think you have to do what is right for you and your family.

Traceyd14
07-17-2020, 03:25 PM
First thing I would consider is your state of residence. Personal choice, but if I lived in a state where testing is required before you leave, I would cancel and get a refund. There is no guarantee you will be a able to get tested and get the results in time to upload them 12 hours before your flight. If you have the option to test in Aruba, I would still test at home a week or so before to make sure you are negative and isolate as much as possible so you can do as much as possible to not test positive on arrival. Personally if I were traveling with a minor or someone who would not be okay if we were separated I would probably postpone.

Once you arrive and get through the testing, I feel confident you would be able to enjoy your vacation with smaller crowds, beautiful beaches, and stunning water colors that can put you in a trance.

How much are you willing to gamble, that's basically what it comes down to.

LisaGrn
07-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Nicole, timing is everything and I just took a break at work to come on and post about my own trip to Aruba in September, which I also booked last January when all was well. Extremely difficult and personal decision, but I cancelled it this morning.

So many reasons among them being, as Andrea pointed out, I don't really want to get on a plane right now, let alone one that flies out of Kennedy in NYC; I'm almost "positive" (sorry, couldn't resist that one!) I wouldn't be able to get test results back within the time frame required (I think that situation is only going to get worse) so I'd have to wait until I arrive in Aruba. I personally don't want to take that chance even if I'm fairly certain it would be negative. Who really knows? I could be walking around with it right now and not know it! Too stressful when my sole reason for vacation is to relax on a beautiful beach and leave my extremely stressful job behind. Spending two weeks in isolation across the street from a tropical beach I can't get to is not my idea of fun. I will go next August or September (and those of you who remember her from the Arubacon thread, "P" for Priscilla is planning on coming with me for her first trip to the Happy Island!).

I'm fortunate enough to live in New England where everything is fairly close, so before I actually cancelled Aruba, I booked a cottage right on the beach on Cape Cod (my other favorite vacation destination) for the same week. Hey, there may not be any palm trees, but it's a beach! And the lobster is better! LOL!

I don't envy you the decision, Nicole. I've been waffling back and forth with it for weeks when I knew in my heart I was really just postponing the inevitable. Again, very personal decision. Everyone has a different comfort level.

Now to figure out how to take off my trip ticker...what the heck, maybe I'll leave it on. It's got a palm tree on it after all! :-)

coldsteel337
07-17-2020, 06:27 PM
On the Cape, The Lobster is WAY better and you can get fried clams.

brady bear
07-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Like many we too booked in January; our problem is we bought through another person's "BG" and don't
really know how that works if Aruba's border is open.. then again it may close by September
Hopefully the owner will let me change dates, if this happens; I will be willing to to work with them and vs versa.
If everyone followed the "proper" guidelines from day one, this would not be such a huge problem;
As for flying I will carry my small container of odor ban and clean our seats, and area; wear a bacterial virus mask;
wear our mask in places such as casino's, stores, and etc.

brady bear
07-17-2020, 06:31 PM
On the Cape, The Lobster is WAY better and you can get fried clams.

and fried clams, fish and etc. lol
Moved from Cape Cod to Florida

EDMLS1358
07-17-2020, 06:43 PM
We will be going August 19 through the 25th.
Its a tough call, We had to cancel so many trips this year. On the bright side you should have a peaceful time with less crowds. We are still hoping to go in Oct.
Good Luck

ArubaAce
07-18-2020, 12:09 AM
Some great insight on this forum. I myself have a trip that I scheduled earlier in the year for September. Still not sure if I want to fly. I mean being on a plane for a 5 hour flight puts you at risk mask or no mask. At first airlines said they would not book the middle seat and so I chose an aisle seat but the 2 seats next to me were also recently booked. I guess I will see how the stats continue.

Andrea J.
07-18-2020, 09:52 AM
JB originally said they were keeping the middle seat OPEN thru Sept 8.


Some great insight on this forum. I myself have a trip that I scheduled earlier in the year for September. Still not sure if I want to fly. I mean being on a plane for a 5 hour flight puts you at risk mask or no mask. At first airlines said they would not book the middle seat and so I chose an aisle seat but the 2 seats next to me were also recently booked. I guess I will see how the stats continue.

mjh
07-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Another idea!!! How about cancelling so you are assured a full refund. Flights can be cancelled right up to day of departure (I believe but check). So, if in August you decide you want to go to Aruba and feel good about it, then rebook the hotel. They are surely not at even the capacity set for Covid time so it should not be an issue. Plus there are many hotels if the Divi is full. It was just a thought. We are hopefully going to Aruba in October as we have for many many years. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

robin
07-18-2020, 11:00 AM
It is a personal decision and you need to do what you are comfortable doing. We have canceled other trips we had planned this year-one requiring flying(it was actually cancelled for us) and three road trips because we are not comfortable with traveling due to underlying medical issues. We are supposed to go to Aruba in December for a week and then go back in January for 2 months(we have our own condo). We were there when the virus started and had to fly home during it the third Saturday in March. It was scary-packed plane, no masks AUA to PHL. Aruba seems to be doing it right-testing, masks on planes, etc. I'd think about what you are looking for and how comfortable you are going. Aruba cares about its people and the tourist. If you are looking for quiet and peace, it would be a good time to go, but everything may not be open. If you are looking for an active beach scene, then reschedule for next year.

Aruba4ever
07-18-2020, 03:03 PM
I myself would cancel. You will sadly not see the true Aruba we all fell in love with...that said no crowds is a blessing for sure...but the risks outweigh the benefits right now IMHO.

schexc
07-18-2020, 04:10 PM
We are still considering the month of November. The only thing that might change it for us, is if NYS becomes a hot spot again and we have to meet the 72 hr. window for testing. If rapid tests become more readily available for us, then we'd give it a go.

Brian B
07-18-2020, 04:17 PM
We are scheduled to fly to Aruba August 7. (Our connecting flight from Miami to Aruba leaves August 8.) We have three tests scheduled for August 5. The 12 hour window for upload will close as we are heading to the San Francisco airport. If the results don't come back in time, well we did everything possible to make it happen. My wife is a scuba diver and will be in Aruba 5 weeks so we would really like to go but are prepared to stay home if the tests don't come back in time.

ArubaAce
07-18-2020, 10:28 PM
JB originally said they were keeping the middle seat OPEN thru Sept 8. I just went to their website. The middle seat is blocked on large planes thru 9/8 and aisle seat is blocked on smaller planes. My flight is 9/20 so the middle seat is not blocked.

cmynes
07-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Our April trip was cancelled and I rebooked our 24th year in a row for September 12th. My husband and I live in NJ and are at vulnerable ages so not sure what to do. I trust Aruba but worried it won’t be the same and all our favorite restaurants may not be open. We do have 8 weeks before we leave. Found a place that will give us test results within 2 days but the whole ED card process is intimidating. Does anyone know if I can use an iPad to register? Everyone is suggesting google chrome and I do everything on iPad. I am also worried about those being tested in Aruba are not being placed on different line at Aruba airport. I read a few posts. I am so torn. We need a vacation desperately but want to do the right thing! I definitely won’t test in Aruba just in case one of us is asymptomatic. Heard we would be separated. Help. I really want to go. I think we need to wait 4 weeks and see how it goes there. Thank you!

Andrea J.
07-19-2020, 11:58 AM
welcome to the aruba.com community forum

the ED card thing is indeed intimidating, just read thru it and it will all fall into place.

yes you can use and iPad, but if you have access to google chrome, why not do the ed card stuff on that.


you and your travel mates should get your PCR test at home 72 hrs prior to travel and you will all follow the same path line out of the airport.
you will go to the line where temperatures/health screening happens.
others who need test proceed to different lines.

I think you need to wait and see how it all plays out.

frequent THIS site and try to stay away from believing all of the FB group postings.
some of those are "sky is falling" mentality.


Our April trip was cancelled and I rebooked our 24th year in a row for September 12th. My husband and I live in NJ and are at vulnerable ages so not sure what to do. I trust Aruba but worried it won’t be the same and all our favorite restaurants may not be open. We do have 8 weeks before we leave. Found a place that will give us test results within 2 days but the whole ED card process is intimidating. Does anyone know if I can use an iPad to register? Everyone is suggesting google chrome and I do everything on iPad. I am also worried about those being tested in Aruba are not being placed on different line at Aruba airport. I read a few posts. I am so torn. We need a vacation desperately but want to do the right thing! I definitely won’t test in Aruba just in case one of us is asymptomatic. Heard we would be separated. Help. I really want to go. I think we need to wait 4 weeks and see how it goes there. Thank you!

cmynes
07-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Thank you so much for your reply Andrea! I was concerned as others were that those not tested in the US are on same line as those who tested negative - for infection purposes. I feel like that they should be on a different line. For the ED card should we start completing it when we know for sure we are going ahead of testing of course? Not sure if I can download chrome on iPad. Does my husband have to to do his separately? Or can I do applications for both of us on 1 device? Really appreciate your help. We go every year and stay at the Marriott resort. We are in love with our favorite restaurants. I know right now it’s a soft opening but if our faves are not open it may make me want to put this trip off. Here’s a list - Yemanja, Barefoot, Quinta Del Carmen, Madam Janette, Wilhelmenia, Elements, Oak, and maybe Wacky Wahoo and Chalet Suisse but they are inside. Do you think these will be fully operational by September 12th. Thank you so much and you are right. I have to watch it week by week. As much as we need a vacation we want to do it safely. We lived through being in the epicenter. Thanks again!!!

the ED card thing is indeed intimidating, just read thru it and it will all fall into place.

yes you can use and iPad, but if you have access to google chrome, why not do the ed card stuff on that.


you and your travel mates should get your PCR test at home 72 hrs prior to travel and you will all follow the same path line out of the airport.
you will go to the line where temperatures/health screening happens.
others who need test proceed to different lines.

I think you need to wait and see how it all plays out.

frequent THIS site and try to stay away from believing all of the FB group postings.
some of those are "sky is falling" mentality.[/QUOTE]

Andrea J.
07-19-2020, 03:02 PM
I am not browser savvy.
I do not know if Chrome can be added to an iPad.

Pegmeister
07-19-2020, 03:22 PM
I have Chrome on my iPad. I downloaded it when I had issues with Safari.

cmynes
07-19-2020, 03:30 PM
I have Chrome on my iPad. I downloaded it when I had issues with Safari.

Thank you. I just realized I can download from App Store.

Nicole Kiladitis
07-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Thank you all for your advice!! We know it is such a personal decision but it is so good to hear from everyone besides our own family back and forth. We have decided to cancel our trip for now, but we will keep an eye on things and hope to reschedule when we can. I am going to keep checking in on this forum, you are all so much fun!

cpjones
07-20-2020, 03:09 PM
I am going to keep checking in on this forum, you are all so much fun!

Thanks for the kind thought..... but we're much more "funner" when we're regularly going to Aruba and sharing trip reports! Sorry you had to put your trip off.