PDA

View Full Version : Curfew

Andrea J.
08-27-2020, 12:19 AM
Effective Friday from
12 am to 5 am and to co to us for at least 2 weeks.

All people on the island are required to be at their home or their work.
No one is to be behind the wheel or on foot.

This is a preventative action to keep accidents at a minimum so that the hospital does not become overcrowded.

The Prime Minister announced it earlier tonight at her 7 pm news conference.

More info to follow.

LisaGrn
08-27-2020, 12:36 AM
Wow, that is really troubling. They want to try to keep beds and staff available for Covid-19 patients and treatment. So unfortunate but what a potentially lifesaving move.

Jacki
08-27-2020, 09:09 AM
That is great! Good for them! I love seeing that the government does what it needs to in order to keep people safe. They were able to completely flatten the curve before and I am sure they will do it again!

WaltVB
08-27-2020, 09:28 AM
Anything else of interest in that news conference? I'm sure the curfew will work, I just wonder what happens to the family at a timeshare with 5 members. There's someone on the island now with their 3 kids.

Andrea J.
08-27-2020, 09:42 AM
I believe that is a non issue (tourist families in timeshares or resorts)

One of the things that may/may not be an issue are home rentals?
I do not know if that has been addressed, but I do know that they are limiting house gatherings to groups of 4 or less.
Many times there are groups of 2 or more couples that rent larger homes for vacation stays.
Are these homes/situations part of the gatherings of groups of more than 4 ruling?

Lotsa questions indeed.

Someone mentioned to me in a private message this morning that young Aruba residents are gathering at different house parties (since they are unable to attend their local bar and nightclubs). These are almost like "underground parties". This will have to STOP. We are not talking thousands of young people, but most likely couple of hundred. I get it. I was young once. Living recklessly in the mid/late 70s was a blast. It was an exciting fun and selfish time in my life.
But as a young 20 something in the 70s, it was not "global pandemic" times. These folks MUST begin to act responsibly.................same here in our communities too.

Anything else of interest in that news conference? I'm sure the curfew will work, I just wonder what happens to the family at a timeshare with 5 members. There's someone on the island now with their 3 kids.

Andrea J.
08-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Evelyn Wever-Croes Prime Minister
"The Government introduced some measures, with the aim to lower the total amount of positive cases per day. An initial curfew of two weeks has been introduced starting this Friday, August 28th from 12 am -5 am.
Also, the Government requests everyone to adhere to the social guidelines during work hours, and at home to take care of the family by not allowing visitors of more than 4 people. It is only together that we are able to fight this virus. We did it once, we can do it again."

Andrea J.
08-27-2020, 10:26 AM
Key words "Visitors of MORE than 4 People!!"

So disregard my thoughts about tourists or home rentals by tourists.
Evelyn Wever-Croes Prime Minister
"The Government introduced some measures, with the aim to lower the total amount of positive cases per day. An initial curfew of two weeks has been introduced starting this Friday, August 28th from 12 am -5 am.
Also, the Government requests everyone to adhere to the social guidelines during work hours, and at home to take care of the family by not allowing visitors of more than 4 people. It is only together that we are able to fight this virus. We did it once, we can do it again."

robin
08-27-2020, 11:44 AM
This may sound mean, but I hope neighbors will call the police if they see parties going on.

I understand that young adults want to hang out and party-been there, done that. However, everyone else is delaying 'life' right now, and they need to realize that need to do that, too. The longer they don't social distance the worse it will be for everyone. I guess it is hard for them realize that others will suffer do their actions.

Andrea J.
08-27-2020, 01:49 PM
I don't think that it sounds mean and if it did..so what!?
this is a pandemic and all bets are off.
I would turn in my own mother if she was partying after midnight in a group and breaking the rules deliberately.
well maybe not my mother.........
This may sound mean, but I hope neighbors will call the police if they see parties going on.

I understand that young adults want to hang out and party-been there, done that. However, everyone else is delaying 'life' right now, and they need to realize that need to do that, too. The longer they don't social distance the worse it will be for everyone. I guess it is hard for them realize that others will suffer do their actions.

LisaGrn
08-27-2020, 02:49 PM
I don't think it sounds mean either, Robin. It's the world we are unfortunately living in right now. The reality, whether or not people agree with it or not, is that Robin & Stu wearing masks protects Andrea & Paul...Andrea & Paul protect Lisa...Lisa protects Peg & Tom...and on to all of us (stealing that from a great Uber commercial!).
And I'd have to run after my mother for racing out into the street to beat all the non-mask wearers with her cane before the cops carted her away (she was a tiny, 95-lb. ball of "don't mess with me"! Trust me, you didn't want to cross her!).