This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Locals Bar

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I stayed in Mangel Halto earlier this year and visited the bar several times. It is locals, but they took us in as one of their own. They also serve pretty good Chinese food. We are looking forward to seeing our new friends again in November.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Oops... I thought the Dutch were considered local...I'm so confused
    Be careful who you say that to! Heh.

There's "local" and then there's "native": in my mind, Arubans are natives while everyone else can be local(ish) over time IF they make the attempt to integrate with Aruban culture. Over the years, we've seen more and more Arubans at eateries that were previously considered "touristy" but I haven't seen the same in the opposite direction. It might just be that we're living here full-time now and see more of the non-tourist areas of the island (and businesses).
    Last edited by act1966; 10-09-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Be careful who you say that to! Heh.

There's "local" and then there's "native": in my mind, Arubans are natives while everyone else can be local(ish) over time IF they make the attempt to integrate with Aruban culture. Over the years, we've seen more and more Arubans at eateries that were previously considered "touristy" but I haven't seen the same in the opposite direction. It might just be that we're living here full-time now and see more of the non-tourist areas of the island (and businesses).

Does that make you and Jeff local...Eh

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Does that make you and Jeff local...Eh
    We're trying! Pasa bon dia...eh!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    While not strictly ' local ' we have discovered The Old Dutch Cafe close to where we're staying and it's a great approximation of a Dutch brown bar.
    Not quite in the tourist strip but it attracts locals and expats.
    It's a chilled sort of place but it's on the route of the party buses - so immediately they arrive the music is cranked up to loud rap, the shots are machine-gunned out and then it's over as fast as it started until the next bus arrives.
    The music is turned down and the first track played after the bus has left is ...the Sound of Silence
    There's also a great Venezuelan food truck nearby.
    We like the place a lot.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is the Old Dutch Cafe on a map.
    it is near the Citgo station and is on rte 4
    real close to the bowling alley

Best Locals Bar-screen-shot-2022-10-17-7-41-11-pm-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds-R-Us View Post
    While not strictly ' local ' we have discovered The Old Dutch Cafe close to where we're staying and it's a great approximation of a Dutch brown bar.
    It's a chilled sort of place but it's on the route of the party buses - so immediately they arrive the music is cranked up to loud rap, the shots are machine-gunned out and then it's over as fast as it started until the next bus arrives.
    The music is turned down and the first track played after the bus has left is ...the Sound of Silence
    We like the place a lot.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we went by there once, but they were closed.
    I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds...
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    While not strictly ' local ' we have discovered The Old Dutch Cafe

Location: http://The Old Dutch Cafe +297 568 7...AtreM7YauLNEs6
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We like the place a lot.
    We've often thought of stopping there, but have not yet. Maybe next trip.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We like the place a lot.
    This place sounds pretty cool, I might have to check it out. Love "Sound of Silence". A band called Disturbed (I know, I know) has done this song and it's amazingly beautiful too. Check it out on Spotify.