This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This was a first for me....charged for a glass of water

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    I can accept trying to upsell to bottled water...but charging for tap water..... not right! I can accept a discount for paying cash, but call it that.... not an upcharge for credit card use, cuz I understand that cc's charge huge merchant fees. What are people thinking.....?
    Agree 100%. Charging for tap water in Aruba would be a total turn off to me and I would not return to that establishment. We did not experience an up charge at all for using credit cards at dinner anywhere in Aruba. There are a few places at home that charge a small percentage - one bar/restaurant and my eyebrow place. I just pay cash at that salon. But we use credit cards for everything so it is very annoying to be charged extra for using them. I understand businesses are charged a percentage but in this economy they should be happy to host you minus the charge!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    A better system would be to not put water out for everyone (as much is wasted) but if someone asks bring them a glass of water....and do not charge. Not crazy about the added fee for using a credit card....roll it into the prices ...it is the cost of doing business. Ticky Tacky....not my kind of place!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm glad it isn't just me that feels this is a "tacky" way to do things. Seriously my BIG thing was....15Cents!!! What?? Who does that ?
    Really felt weirded out and it's a one and No for me !
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking there is ZERO chance I would eat there. Their polices would annoy me beyond belief. Charging me for water is comical.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    I can accept trying to upsell to bottled water...but charging for tap water..... not right! I can accept a discount for paying cash, but call it that.... not an upcharge for credit card use, cuz I understand that cc's charge huge merchant fees. What are people thinking.....?
    Trip 38 booked for Feb! Cant wait.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    To add some context to the discussion, "tap water" in Aruba is expensive. All water in Aruba comes from the desalination plant (since the island is a desert, there are no natural wells). I own a vacation home on the island and I can tell you the monthly water bill in Aruba is quite high in comparison to what we pay in the USA. This is why you sometimes see some establishments that charge for use of their bathrooms. Now, that being said, I think charging for a glass of tap water at a restaurant is absolutely ridiculous! The restaurant owner should consider water as a utility cost and factor it into prices he sets on the menu. Charging patrons extra for a glass of water, especially when most patrons are not accustomed to the heat of Aruba, is a major turn off and simply bad business sense.
    Bella Ruby - a luxury vacation home for your next tropical adventure in Aruba: www.BellaRubyAruba.com
    1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you back Chris!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    To add some context to the discussion, "tap water" in Aruba is expensive. All water in Aruba comes from the desalination plant (since the island is a desert, there are no natural wells). I own a vacation home on the island and I can tell you the monthly water bill in Aruba is quite high in comparison to what we pay in the USA. This is why you sometimes see some establishments that charge for use of their bathrooms. Now, that being said, I think charging for a glass of tap water at a restaurant is absolutely ridiculous! The restaurant owner should consider water as a utility cost and factor it into prices he sets on the menu. Charging patrons extra for a glass of water, especially when most patrons are not accustomed to the heat of Aruba, is a major turn off and simply bad business sense.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    It puts undue and unnecessary burden on the wait staff!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    It puts undue and unnecessary burden on the wait staff!
    So true! Servers often end up losing out because some would reduce their tip. Just not fair to the server.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a disaster for all involved. I hate to be annoyed by little things- I know I should not let it bother me but being charged for water would, paying an extra 5 percent also would rub me the wrong way. Unless its at the Ritz or Bugaloe, I pay cash for most meals but the policy would still keep away. I also avoid any place that has a service charge then says- its not a tip....thanks but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    So true! Servers often end up losing out because some would reduce their tip. Just not fair to the server.
    Trip 38 booked for Feb! Cant wait.

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    "someone" on trip advisor posted that the 15 cents is only for drinking water refills...........due to the amount of waste and the cost of water.
    now, I wonder if there is a surcharge for leaving food on their plate?
    leaving rolls in the basket?
    0 1