This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Oak Restaurant and Bar

Post Thanks / Like

Oak Restaurant and Bar

We made a reservation before we left home and the only available times were early. We arrived at 6 and were promptly greeted and sat. They don't have many tables so reservations are needed. We saw a couple trying to get in another day and only 9pm was available. This could die down some once the newness wears off but I'm not sure because the food is very good.

We started with martinis, cucumber for me and pineapple for Jon. The pineapple was topped with Grand Marnier, and both were nicely done craft cocktails. We were served rolls with an olive tempenade before our drink orders were taken. We ordered fish and shrimp ceviche as an appetizer to share. It wasn't the best we've had, but it was good. The lime flavor was a little overwhelming.

We went with the waiter recommendations for the entrees. Jon had peppercorn steak and I had coconut shrimp. The steak was a perfectly cook medium rare (as ordered) and was tender enough to be cut with a butter knife. I took a bite and the flavor was better than expected. The coconut shrimp were massive, so.much so that you could taste the shrimp and not just breading. It wasnt your typical coconut shrimp appetizer, they were nicely prepared. Both entrees came served over a bed of veggies including squash and zucchini. The steak also included potatoes. I give both entrees a thumbs up.

For dessert we shared a flavorful coconut carmel flan that wowed us.

Average prices for a nice restaurant with entrees in the $30-40 range.

A few things that do take away from this place: the bread was of hard, the butter was served in packets like you would get at a breakfast buffet. The seating is close so you will hear every word of your neighboring table discussions. The staff was also standing around talking loudly. Reservation system is a back and forth by email. We tried to call from our hotel to.ask about changing our reservation, and there was no answer.

Overall I think we will go back, but it won't be a must go every year.
    3 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul and I were hoping to go to OAK this trip.
    We have a reservation for next Wed.
    However, with his hearing challenges it would not work out.
    Someone else mentioned to us of the conversations being aplenty from surrounding tables.
    Since I have to speak up to accommodate his hearing, everyone else will be hearing us.
    Thank you for your real good honest review.
    I think we are going to pass.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were trying to get reservations but i am glad i read your report. I was on the fence about this restaurant. Now i am glad we didn’t get a reservation. There would have been 4 of us. I don’t think we could have had a good time.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a group of 4 next to is that seemed to be enjoying a good conversation, we just also enjoyed most of it too. The group of 6 behind us were loud and had one complainer, so I may have made it sound worse that it was. They also hav outside seating so maybe that would be an option? The food is worth a try.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review. There are very few restaurants worth going to with tables that close together and with so many great ones in Aruba, I don't think I am in a rush to try this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    We felt the same when we were there earlier this year - very loud and no ambiance inside. We asked to be moved outside. There are a FEW decent tables outside but most make you feel like you're sitting in the parking lot. Between that and the lackluster service and a bill that was incorrect (no apologies for charging us a higher price for a different bottle of wine), we won't return for quite a while. Too many great restaurants downtown now that are much better like Wilhelmina, Maroc, Taste My Aruba, Anno 1877, De Suikertuin.......we are spending alot more time downtown for dinner now like we used to do back in the 90's.
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: April & May 2020 -- Switzerland: July 2020

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Paul and I were hoping to go to OAK this trip.
    We have a reservation for next Wed.
    However, with his hearing challenges it would not work out.
    Someone else mentioned to us of the conversations being aplenty from surrounding tables.
    Since I have to speak up to accommodate his hearing, everyone else will be hearing us.
    Thank you for your real good honest review.
    I think we are going to pass.

We really enjoyed our meals there but we like to sit outside. If you sit outside the background noise is not like it is inside.
    Andrea, if you want to give Oak a try, outside should work fine.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    we are spending alot more time downtown for dinner now like we used to do back in the 90's.
    Arubans would be very glad to hear it. After all the new malls in Noord and elsewhere were built, coupled with the global economic crisis in the late 2000's and the advent and success of online shopping, "Playa"(downtown) got hit hard with a lot of store closures. But, over the last 4 years or so there has been a big push by locals to revive the area. There is still more to be done, but its good to hear that both locals and tourists are enjoying the downtown area again.
    1 2