This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One and Done

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    I'm shakin' in my boots on this one because I know a lot of you adore this place, but my big "one and done" was Bavaria German (1st trip in 2015). Service was really slow (they were not busy at all), the potato pancakes were greasy, and the weiner schnitzel was really tough. But the beer was REALLY good! Okay, white asparagus lovers, bring it on! LOL!

Well. .... count me in as one of the white asparagus lovers and we do enjoy Bavaria but it just shows how different everyone’s taste buds are. I always figure I’ll get creamed for not liking Elements but we really were disappointed there.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the things I love most about Aruba is the wide variety of dining options. Something for almost everyone!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    For us Wacky Wahoo just didn't cut it. The food was okay, but the crowding and noise chased us away. And MJ's... just didn't do anything for us.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Smokey Joe’s for me. I take my barbecue seriously and I do NOT believe in pre-boiling ribs, which is what I strongly believe they do. You can really taste the difference. It’s a large restaurant and I can’t imagine that they slow cook all the ribs they serve there. Having said that, I still found the quantity fair for the price and it wasn’t horrible but it’s definitely a “one and done” for me.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably Old Cunucu House. We went once and it was great. The second time it was so awful. The server was none existent. We were in a room with several other tables filled with people and for at least 20 minutes no one came into the room. Someone even went looking for a server. We both had Kesha Yena-Stu's was wonderful and mine was burnt and dried out. There was a large holiday party going on in a different area of the restaurant and it seemed liked everyone forgot they had other diners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Hi Andrea,

Thanks for this double dose of "One and Done" because our O&D experiences pretty much all relate to our culinary adventures. I have a couple of these.

And to everyone else; remember that because this deals with restaurant experiences, it is just an opinion. Don't go a*****t if it sounds like I've dissed your favourite place.

Okay, let's go.

Charlie's Bar, San Nicholas.

Every place (including our own hometowns) has its share of over-rated spots and for Aruba it's this bar. After spending about half an hour in the place (This was about 20 years ago.) then fending off a couple of no-goodniks who were hanging around our car and trying to bother us, my wife and I couldn't get out of San Nicholas fast enough. Never been back. Never understood the appeal of this place to start with.

Restaurant at California Lighthouse

Every Aruba vacation involves at least one drive up to the lighthouse. The views are spectacular. We went to the restaurant many, many years ago. The food was really good, the views were wonderful and the service was pretty good. But we were not alone at the restaurant. It seemed like every fly in Aruba had put the word out to join us for lunch. It ruined our lunch and no, we've never been back there either.

I'm sure there are other O&D dining experiences but these will do for now.

Glenn
    Interesting. I agree the views at the lighthouse are amazing. Neither of us cared for the food and would not eat there again because of it.

We went to Charlies last year for the first time. We were expecting bar food and were disappointed in the menu. I loved the stuff to look at but it isn't worth going back to unless some we were with really wanted to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    We were there once for dinner. The food was great(not buffet) but we had the worst server they had. You could see the difference in how she inattentive to all her tables vs the rest of the waitstaff who were attentive to their guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Well. .... count me in as one of the white asparagus lovers and we do enjoy Bavaria but it just shows how different everyone’s taste buds are. I always figure I’ll get creamed for not liking Elements but we really were disappointed there.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a few One and Done's that probably won't make me very popular either:

Zeerover's. It was just ok. Too long of a wait for "just ok".
    Madame Jeanette's. Also just ok. Too expensive for "just ok".
    Flying Fishbone. We all have heard my "wet cement slab" story, so I won't beat that dead horse.

This next trip we take, we are going to try out some of the other places everyone here talks about and then maybe I will have more! LOL. No really, we are not horrible people, I promise. I think maybe some of these things just didn't live up to the hype in my head.

Andrea J - have you done a thread with "I have had/done it a thousand times and won't hesitate to have/do it a thousand more!"? That might also be fun!!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogg108 View Post
    We have a few One and Done's that probably won't make me very popular either:

Zeerover's. It was just ok. Too long of a wait for "just ok".
    Madame Jeanette's. Also just ok. Too expensive for "just ok".
    Flying Fishbone. We all have heard my "wet cement slab" story, so I won't beat that dead horse.

This next trip we take, we are going to try out some of the other places everyone here talks about and then maybe I will have more! LOL. No really, we are not horrible people, I promise. I think maybe some of these things just didn't live up to the hype in my head.

Andrea J - have you done a thread with "I have had/done it a thousand times and won't hesitate to have/do it a thousand more!"? That might also be fun!!
    I like the idea of I have done a thousand times thread!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Madame Jeanette's did thrill me either. I think they are resting too much on their laurels. Really pretty setting though...

0 1