This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Review of Taste My Aruba

Post Thanks / Like

Review of Taste My Aruba

Had the pleasure of eating at this wonderful local eatery on Friday, August 6th, 2021. It is set up in a lovely courtyard next to a very historical colonial-style building (Cosecha, the local artisan store, is on the ground floor of the same building but was unfortunately - or perhaps fortunately for my wallet! - just closing up when we arrived) and they have a small kitchen where the food and drinks are prepared. The tables and accessories are all simple and rustic and there are strings of lights all around. It feels like my mother used to say Havana was like prior to Castro. Both the service and food were wonderful. It is not a set menu except for a few items. The menu is printed up each day with the “catches of the day” listed. It all depends on what the fishermen bring to Nathalie, the owner of the eatery. She is one of the most vibrant and friendly people I have ever met. The attached photo is of her with me. It is obvious she takes great pride in the establishment she has created and is enthusiastic about making sure all guests have a memorable experience. I had heard they make a great red sangria so my cousin and I shared a (very generous) carafe. It was delicious and loaded with fruit. Every table receives a small dish of funchi fries (made of polenta) with a mildly-spicy marinara sauce. I could have eaten a basket of those! They were divine! Our waiter (whose name escapes me but he was great) explained the different kinds of fish that were available that evening, including barracuda, but the minute I saw fresh grouper listed, I knew that would be my choice. All the fish dishes are simply prepared, just pan fried, so you really taste the fish and are all accompanied by white rice, black beans, pickled red onions (which were really interesting and delicious), and fried plantains. The portion of grouper was very generous and very delicious. We both finished our fish but left some of the accompanying items because Nathalie has promised to save us a piece of her specialty - the famous cashew cake!!

Now, let me preface this by stating I am not a big cake eater, but I had to try this one. The attached picture doesn’t really do justice to the size of the piece she brought out. Good thing we decided to share a piece - we had trouble finishing it! If you love cashews (which I do), you will love this cake. It is not overly sweet; very moist. A fairly dense cake. I wouldn’t want to eat it on a regular basis, but as a special treat when in Aruba, I would definitely have it again.

While we were there, two fishermen showed up with their catch to show Nathalie. They pulled out of a big Igloo cooler two HUGE red snappers. One of them brought it over to show us all and to take pictures. This guy was tall which gives you some idea of how big it was in the photo.

It is not an inexpensive restaurant but I feel it is worth every penny for the atmosphere, friendliness, and fresh fish beautifully prepared and served. It is the kind of restaurant in Aruba you save for that “special” dinner out. I loved everything about this eatery. Nathalie has created a very unique establishment and dining experience for her guests. She is a very special lady (who contracted and recovered from Covid-19 last summer). Meeting her and eating at Taste My Aruba was one of the highlights of my trip. I look forward to dining there again in the future and highly recommend it to all. Reservations are a must and should be made well in advance.

Review of Taste My Aruba-screen-shot-2021-08-17-9-31-42-pm-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of Taste My Aruba-screen-shot-2021-08-06-9-25-01-pm-jpg   Review of Taste My Aruba-screen-shot-2021-08-06-9-24-26-pm-jpg   Review of Taste My Aruba-screen-shot-2021-08-06-9-21-10-pm-jpg  
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-17-2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added photo
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Nathaly! She is one of my new favorite people. I ate dinner there last September and put that on my 'must go again' list. I loved the atmosphere and the food, but Nathaly makes it extra.

Your description of the details is exceptional. I'm going to have to up my trip report game
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I follow Nathalie on FB, love her posts. Hopefully coming in Sept (never can predict with Covid) and will get to Taste My Aruba
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted a review of Taste My Aruba from our June trip. We went for the grouper. They were out of grouper. We were disappointed and ordered lobster linguini and shrimp scampi and they were delicious, so we got over our disappointment really quickly. We had the cashew cake for dessert and loved it. I was in a pretty sad mood. I had just received a message that my college roommate who is still a close friend, had taken a turn for the worse. I really didn't feel like going our but I had promised my hubby, so I went along. Nathaly spent a lot of time at our table and was so kind and understanding. The staff was aware that I was having a rough day and went out of their way to give us an enjoyable evening. This restaurant is now in our top three, and I'm sure that we will go there every visit.
    Last edited by hatteras; 08-19-2021 at 01:14 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My backup plan was the lobster linguini if she didn't have any grouper. I felt lucky she had grouper and still had some cashew cake left! Nathaly is a very, very special lady and Taste My Aruba will be on the "menu" for all future trips!

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    I posted a review of Taste My Aruba from our June trip. We went for the grouper. They were out of grouper. We were disappointed and ordered lobster linguini and shrimp scampi and they were delicious, so we got over our disappointment really quickly. We had the cashew cake for dessert and loved it. I was in a pretty sad mood. I had just received a message that my college roommate who is still a close friend, had taken a turn for the worst. I really didn't feel like going our but I had promised my hubby, so I went along. Nathaly spent a lot of time at our table and was so kind and understanding. The staff was aware that I was having a rough day and went out of their way to give us an enjoyable evening. This restaurant is now in our top three, and I'm sure that we will go there every visit.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, the picture of the cashew cake looks SO yummy!! I am definitely going to try that on our next vacay. Thanks for posting!
    0 0