This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Service Charge-Additional Tip?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Service Charge-Additional Tip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    We have been there only once and it was delish.
    I know in Europe you don't tip(pre covid), but now, I certainly want to do my best in supporting those affected as I do here in the restaurant biz. Question is. When a service charge is added, due you tip over it, and how much??
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    7,329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joehick View Post
    I know in Europe you don't tip(pre covid), but now, I certainly want to do my best in supporting those affected as I do here in the restaurant biz. Question is. When a service charge is added, due you tip over it, and how much??
    We’ve found that most of the restaurants we go to haven’t had the service charge. When there is a service charge we do add to it generally to bring the tip to 20% or 25 % depending on service.

    0 1
     

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    39,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    if there is a service charge added, we usually tip an additional 5 or 10% .
    if the service was poor, we leave no additional tip. (to the best of my memory, this has only happened 1x)


    Joehick..I am moving this to its own thread.
    always a very interesting topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by joehick View Post
    I know in Europe you don't tip(pre covid), but now, I certainly want to do my best in supporting those affected as I do here in the restaurant biz. Question is. When a service charge is added, due you tip over it, and how much??
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

    0 2
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's how I usually handle it as well if there is a service charge. I honestly can't remember a bad service experience in Aruba.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    if there is a service charge added, we usually tip an additional 5 or 10% .
    if the service was poor, we leave no additional tip. (to the best of my memory, this has only happened 1x)


    Joehick..I am moving this to its own thread.
    always a very interesting topic.
    0 1
     

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like
    We always tip over on the bill, and also post Covid we gave even more in cash to our service for excellent service.
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Super Moderator WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Surf Club
    Posts
    5,995
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is a service charge I usually add 5% for great service. That is unless the server goes on and on whining about the service charge going to the owners and not the servers. Then I add nothing. I'm looking at you Pelican Nest.

    0 2
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like
    When dining at a place that has a service charge and we receive good service I tip 15% on the basic bill (bill before service charge added). No service charge I tip at least 20%.
    0 0
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member bhoffdhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    If there is a service charge I usually add 5% for great service. That is unless the server goes on and on whining about the service charge going to the owners and not the servers. Then I add nothing. I'm looking at you Pelican Nest.
    We do the same.
    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joehick View Post
    I know in Europe you don't tip(pre covid), but now, I certainly want to do my best in supporting those affected as I do here in the restaurant biz. Question is. When a service charge is added, due you tip over it, and how much??
    I really don’t know where you got the idea that we in Europe don’t tip. We do! But not 20% like in the States but 10%, because legal minimum wages are higher than in the States. Over the years I notice that a lot of Americans think that Europeans don’t tip. I really wonder how this incorrect believe started.
    1 1
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are places I avoid like the plague because of their policies....and stories- I too have my eyes on PN- sorry, but no chance I go there.
    Trip 32 begins on June 5.








    0 0
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •