This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Wilhelmina - May 2021

  1. #1
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wilhelmina - May 2021

    This island gem has managed to survive and thrive into the post-pandemic era. The staff are still going strong and Chef/Owner Dennis has some plans for the future that will make this mainstay a continuing delight. I wrote about the evening in my trip report so this will focus on the food.

    Off the top, service is still top-notch and the expanded courtyard is beautifully done with a lush, tropical ambience and music played at just the right level. The wine lists (the standard and premium) offer great selection (especially by the glass) and they've added some new cocktails to the already wonderful selection.

    Amuse Bouche - celery soup shots and pork filled bitteballen

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-amuse-jpg

    A constant at W. and still a great way to start. Both are smooth with subtle spicing and the bb's are served on a bed of curry mayo.

    Appetizers

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-ceviche-jpg
    Ceviche - this is a renowned "Carte Blanche" specialty that Dennis introduced into "Wilhelmina" a few years ago. The presentation alone is worth ordering. Subtle citrus flavours 'cook' the fish and shrimp to perfection. Definitely a must-have for seafood eaters.

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-shortribravioli-jpg
    Short-Rib Ravioli - what can we say about this dish? The Spouse orders this Every. Single. Time. and other forum members have raved about it as well. It's the go-to for carnivores and the jumping-off point for a night of meat debauchery.

    Main Course

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-braisedshortrib-jpg
    Braised Short Ribs - continuing in the meat-a-thon, beautifully done short-ribs in a savoury jus that gets a total plate licking. Again, a constant for The Spouse.

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-seafoodtrio-jpg
    Shrimp, Escargot and Seabass - subtly steamed with a rich cream sauce and delicately dried and sautéed cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and tomatoes, this dish is probably top of the list for me as it's hearty but light. A winner.

    Dessert

    Stuffed but not defeated... the Dame Blanche. Sadly, the website only allows for five uploaded photos so... NO DB FOR YOU!!

    Please support the downtown restaurant scene in Aruba! God help us all if that short-rib ravioli disappears.
    1 1
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    7,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your restaurant reviews are a favorite of mine especially since you always include food photos! Thank you!!

    1 2
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Your restaurant reviews are a favorite of mine especially since you always include food photos! Thank you!!
    Thanks for reading, Peg!
    0 1
     

  4. #4
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    39,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing.
    Looks delicious

    A very very good choice for your first dinner out.

    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    This island gem has managed to survive and thrive into the post-pandemic era. The staff are still going strong and Chef/Owner Dennis has some plans for the future that will make this mainstay a continuing delight. I wrote about the evening in my trip report so this will focus on the food.

    Off the top, service is still top-notch and the expanded courtyard is beautifully done with a lush, tropical ambience and music played at just the right level. The wine lists (the standard and premium) offer great selection (especially by the glass) and they've added some new cocktails to the already wonderful selection.

    Amuse Bouche - celery soup shots and pork filled bitteballen

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-amuse-jpg

    A constant at W. and still a great way to start. Both are smooth with subtle spicing and the bb's are served on a bed of curry mayo.

    Appetizers

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-ceviche-jpg
    Ceviche - this is a renowned "Carte Blanche" specialty that Dennis introduced into "Wilhelmina" a few years ago. The presentation alone is worth ordering. Subtle citrus flavours 'cook' the fish and shrimp to perfection. Definitely a must-have for seafood eaters.

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-shortribravioli-jpg
    Short-Rib Ravioli - what can we say about this dish? The Spouse orders this Every. Single. Time. and other forum members have raved about it as well. It's the go-to for carnivores and the jumping-off point for a night of meat debauchery.

    Main Course

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-braisedshortrib-jpg
    Braised Short Ribs - continuing in the meat-a-thon, beautifully done short-ribs in a savoury jus that gets a total plate licking. Again, a constant for The Spouse.

    Wilhelmina - May 2021-seafoodtrio-jpg
    Shrimp, Escargot and Seabass - subtly steamed with a rich cream sauce and delicately dried and sautéed cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and tomatoes, this dish is probably top of the list for me as it's hearty but light. A winner.

    Dessert

    Stuffed but not defeated... the Dame Blanche. Sadly, the website only allows for five uploaded photos so... NO DB FOR YOU!!

    Please support the downtown restaurant scene in Aruba! God help us all if that short-rib ravioli disappears.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh I have waited too long to return to this restaurant....they should hire you to advertise ! Delighted this was your first choice once you could 'roam ' again!
    1 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew I could count on the spouse to guarantee me a picture of those short ribs. We need to get back there.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    1 1
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by annf View Post
    Ahhh I have waited too long to return to this restaurant....they should hire you to advertise ! Delighted this was your first choice once you could 'roam ' again!

    Thanks, annf! I'll work for ceviche!
    0 0
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I knew I could count on the spouse to guarantee me a picture of those short ribs. We need to get back there.
    Now Covid free!
    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and your seafood looks good too.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 0
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Oh and your seafood looks good too.
    LOL thank you for your thoughts and panties.
    0 1
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •