This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bradrobster & Deb - Aruba 2022! June 14 - 24th

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 2 - June 15th

Ok, for some reason I woke up early. Granted, we did have a couple drinks on the balcony and went to bed a bit earlier than usual but still, for me to be awake before 6am is highly unusual unless I have a flight to catch or an early international conference call.

I left Deb in the bed, went down to the coffee shop here in the Hilton, it’s really good. Got me a large coffee and went to explore the Sunrise. It was overcast so no real sunrise, but it was so nice and cool. I walked down pass the Riu and to where the new building is being built. I think someone said it’s going to be another RIU property? It’s huge for sure. I found me a lounge chair and sat there and watched the Cruise ship Allure of the Sea come in. For those that don’t know, you can always check the schedules here: https://www.arubaports.com/main/cruiseship-schedules

Came back and brought more coffee for Deb, she got up and we shared that on the balcony, such a nice start to the day! We are off to Bugaloe for Breakfast, we love it there. The view in the morning, the fish in the water, and the food is very good. I had the American Breakfast, it has 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, a hashbrown patty, 2 small pancakes, 2 pieces of toast and a piece of watermelon! All for $14. Deb got the steak breakfast tacos which she said were amazing, two large tacos with a spicy sauce for $12. Mimosa and coffee and we were out for about $34 before tip. We love the food and the vibe here so much we will most likely eat breakfast and lunch here till we move to the Marriott!

We had our Palapa and were on the beach by 8:30am. Fairly busy day when the cruisers rolled up from the Allure of the Seas. Security was really good about keeping them out of the Hilton’s Palapas. Most of them settled in the area right beside Bugaloe, no big deal.
    Much time spent in sea of valium, palapa was in the back so I could conveniently pop back and forth to the pool that I love to do. The Hilton’s pools are all zero entry and just really nicely done and well kept.

Back to Bugaloe for lunch. It’s so convenient to the Hilton, we can almost keep an eye on the palapa while we are there and its only a 2 min walk nextdoor. Lunch was busier that normal due to many cruise folks there. Had to wait a bit but got a good table near the waters edge so we could watch all the boats come back and forth. I had my fish basket again; Deb got the Grouper Ceviche appetizer and the Calamari appetizer. We shared the Calamari and she ate the salad out of my fish basket..lol Food consistently good, a few Amstel Brights and Vodka Cranberries and we were on our way back to the palapa. Such a nice long afternoon in the sun, surf and pool.

As some of you may remember, this time at the Hilton is what I have referred to for years as “Pre-Vacation”. These are the days before we actually check in for our week at the Ocean Club timeshare. Pre-vacation is a critical element of vacation preparation. It allows one to get “wound down” before hitting your vacation week. For me it’s a psychological thing, Deb says I’m just using it as an excuse to add more days..lol

After having a drink on the balcony, we walked over to Casa Tua. This is one of our favorites. It looks like they have expanded their seating area. I am not sure if that was due to covid or if maybe they get busier during the high season times and needed the space. Once again, they proved to be consistently very good. Service was excellent, Deb had a glass of wine, I had a Bacardi with a splash of diet coke. We decided to go with just appetizers since we were at the Hilton, managing leftovers is not easy. We went with the Beef Carpaccio ( Deb’s favorite), Escargot for me, and we shared the Calamari. All were perfect! There was a gentle breeze and temps have only been in the low/mid 80’s this trip so very nice to sit there and not sweat!

So, I will end the Day 2 report with an interesting dilemma I encountered. I am a creature of habit when it comes to my cocktail of choice. I love the plain Bacardi white Superior with a “splash” of Diet Coke. That is my go to drink. I even bring a couple of the plastic bottle fifths with me in the suitcase. I keep them in gallon zip lock bags which then get reused during the trip ( pro tip ) . Now the dilemma, when I went into the Hilton’s market thingy, the only thing any of them had was regular Coke and Coke Zero Sugar, NO Diet Coke. Now, before you say I am being picky, trust me, Coke No Sugar, is NOT Diet Coke, no way, not in this world/planet. So this morning I walked out of the Hilton in search of Diet Coke. Now, I actually googled it and found some disturbing information. Some of them even said that Aruba was only going to be selling regular coke and Coke No Sugar, hmmmm. Still I ventured out. 1st minimarket near Hilton, no go, then I went to the minimarket down across from the Holiday Inn that I have gone to for probably 15+years, walked in and she had it ! Canned “Normal” Diet Coke. I told her she made my day.

Now, at this point your probably saying, “Brad has a real problem with soft drinks”. No, I can assure you its under complete control. In reality, I probably only drink about a third of a can when I am having a few drinks on the weekend. Anyway, problem resolved. I am sure Superfood most likely has it as well, we just haven’t ventured there yet. Thanks for letting me share, I really do feel better now.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Great report. I know many Diet Coke aficionados who also swear Coke Zero is not the same thing!
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    love reading of your stay!
    glad that the sea of valium is wonderful.
    Diet Coke/Coke Zero ...I do not drink enough of it to really notice, but I think that I prefer zero.
    zero sugar root beer on the other hand............ I love a and w, and the other stuff zero sugar or diet is poison.
    (baileys in diet root beer is deeeelicious)

Bradrobster Ace will be making contact about meeting up tomorrow at 1 pm Lacabana pool bar!

time for a shower and then our 4:30 pick up.

Cp.............you got about 11 hrs before you can say it.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the concept of pre-vacation! I also, think more than a few people will be impressed that you managed to find real Diet Coke.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great trip report! Very entertaining for sure! I’ve heard about the Diet Coke dilemma! There are definitely fans out there. You are not alone. By the way when you move to the Ocean Club - have you ever tried Nos Clubhuis for lunch? Heard they have great food and inexpensive happy hour from 12-1. I’ve never been there but would love to try it in September when we are at the Marriott Stellaris.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Superfood had diet Coke when we were there last month. Can you ask Deb for me "why do you need an excuse to add extra days?" We've been adding days to our trips for years, we stayed 29 days our last trip. We do pre-vacation and post vacation before and after our two weeks at Surf Club. Our favorite lunch item at Bugaloe is the goat cheese sandwich. I'm really missing the sea of valium...
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the sea of Valium name since we are ocean people. It’s your trademark!

Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    What a great trip report! Very entertaining for sure! I’ve heard about the Diet Coke dilemma! There are definitely fans out there. You are not alone. By the way when you move to the Ocean Club - have you ever tried Nos Clubhuis for lunch? Heard they have great food and inexpensive happy hour from 12-1. I’ve never been there but would love to try it in September when we are at the Marriott Stellaris.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    So excited you are back in Aruba.. looking forward to hearing more
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two properties being built passed the RUI. The first one, which was a skeleton when we left the end of March, is going to be a St. Regis with I think about 220 rooms. The white and brown monstrosity a little further down is the Embassy Suites-330 suites. Construction has had many delays and it is long past its initial opening date due to covid, supplies and $$$$ issues. They build a walkway that goes under the road to their non-existent beach.

Yes, getting diet coke is an issue. I got used to Coke Zero when we were there. From what I was told, Balashi bottles Coke products on the island.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Love the concept of pre-vacation! I also, think more than a few people will be impressed that you managed to find real Diet Coke.
    Peg and Bradrobster, I agree about the pre-vacation concept! Adding several days to a weeks stay is the best - I also go for 10 days. I need a few just to wind down and get in vaca mode.

I also prefer Diet Coke, I can taste a difference as well. Enjoying your trip report!
    0 2