This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: Coldsteel's extended stay

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like

Coldsteel's extended stay

Hello all. How about a live report? I am up and about 5 to 7 days a week , by 6 30AM. There are already people walking, jogging and bicycling by then. My destination typically has been to various beaches from Arashi to Divi Divi. Lately I have going to Saveneta and Baby/Rogers beaches. The area at the juncture of LG Smith where you bear left to Boca Catalina or right to the Gold Coast Golf area is the crowded early in the day. There will be 8 to 12 cars parked and people will already be fishing, swimming, walking etc. The parking areas for Eagle Beach will have cars and people doing the same. A surprising area is the two new traffic circles past the airport. There are parking spots available and there are usually over a dozen cars at each circle. People are taking advantage of the sidewalks that were installed. There are also people walking along the sidewalk adjacent to Watty Vos Blvd. I am detailing all this because I am impressed and happy to see so many people working on their mental as well as physical health. The afternoons tend to mirror the early mornings. I have noticed many more people fishing than before the virus. Generally, it appears the people on the Island are adhering to the guidelines set forth by the government, The offenders I observe are on the beach. You will see a group of up to 8 people sometimes swimming and hanging out together or fishing together. The Supermarkets all sanitize your hands upon entering. The larger ones also spray the handle of the shopping cart. Even the small supermarkets spray your hands. The weather is the same as always ( it rained heavily for 4 minutes this morning ) . MacDonalds by the high rise hotels is open at 7AM now ( drive thru only ) but closes sometime in the afternoon. Wendys and Taco Bell are not open for breakfast but stay open until curfew time and are packed every night ( drive thru also of course ). The few Aruban and Dutch people I have spoken to are upbeat. Does anyone here know the bartender from Divi Divi, Franki? I spoken to him a few times, as I know where he goes to fish in the evenings. The Island is quiet and serene and waiting for everyone to come back.
    0 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since this is a real aruba story, it gets its own thread!
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    A real report! I had almost forgotten you were still there. So wonderful to hear that people are getting out but also practicing safe distancing and that you are doing well. Don't get too used to that quiet and serene, Aruba!! We'll be back as soon as we get the all clear!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    How long do you anticipate being in Aruba for now? It’s nice to hear that you are going with the flow and having time to enjoy the beach.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    With sadness, we are leaving this coming Sunday.The US Consulate arranged with Spirit Airlines for a Flight first to Colombia and then on to Florida. We will overnight at FLL and then continue to NY the following Day.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe and healthy travels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    With sadness, we are leaving this coming Sunday.The US Consulate arranged with Spirit Airlines for a Flight first to Colombia and then on to Florida. We will overnight at FLL and then continue to NY the following Day.
    What influenced your decision?

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was out of the house My wife received a tel call from the US Consulate office telling her about the new Spirit flight and pretty much intimidating her by saying if we were not on this flight we probably would be here for months. I came home about 30 minutes later and already had 2 e-mails from them. " this is the last flight out!". Well she was adamant we be on this flight. Rather than argue, I agreed. Today I spent 3 hours on the computer and telephone changing our flight from Florida to NY next Monday because AA cancelled our 1PM flight and put my wife on a 10AM and our daughter on a 6am flight. Cancelling was easy...except to get a refund I had to call. They would only give me flight credits doing everything on line. Now we are flying united.
    To really put salt on the wound, The consulate sent another e-mail today telling us about ANOTHER flight out..this one on the 17th. No phone call this time. I wish they made one and I had answered.

And that is why I am leaving paradise for the eye of the storm.
    1 0

EAGLE & PALM BEACH ORANJESTAD PADDOCK - MADAME JEANETTE SOLE MARE KUKKO KUNUKOO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safe travels, still a little rough here in NYC, couple of months huh, guess my July trip is OFFICIALLY gonna be cancelled. Glad to hear you guys are OK !!
    1 0