This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Completing the Trifecta

Post Thanks / Like

Completing the Trifecta

In just a few days, I will be making my 3rd two-week trip to Aruba since early December (and my 37th all-time). Time to kick off the trip report to document the preparations in the days leading up to my visit.....

I have my Covid test appointment in my hometown tomorrow morning (Thurs.) in advance of my Sunday travel. I used this location for my test in February and had the results in just over 48 hours. I am probably going to do a Vault test as well. I purchased and received the test kit prior to my last trip, but I didn't use it. I might as well use it now and we will see which yields the result the quickest.

My Dec. trip: Vault test results in ~52 hours
    My Feb. trip: Local clinic test results in ~49 hours

This trip??? Stay tuned for the exciting contest to see which is fastest!

Unlike my two previous trips, traveling will be less worrisome this time because I have been fully vaccinated. It'll be nice to view the day of airports and airplanes as a necessary nuisance, and not a danger!

I have the task of packing luggage for my Aruba trips down to a science by now. I have a corner of a room that has been a "staging area" where I have had things set aside since unpacking them a few weeks ago.

This time will be a little different, in that I will have some "umpire" luggage as well. My Aruban umpire friend has been in touch with me, and I will be umpiring a few games this trip. I missed my Spring trip to Aruba last year due to Covid, breaking a streak of about 8 or 9 years in a row of beginning my umpiring season with games on the island.

I even have a secondary set of umpire equipment (mask, chest protector, shin guards, etc.) that I have left behind with my friend there so I don't have to tote an extra piece of luggage back and forth. This time, I will not need that equipment, though. Apparently, the current protocols there do not have the umpire calling balls and strikes from behind the catcher.

Also, the current Covid protocol for sports is that the games are played without fans. I don't think too many umpires are complaining about that restriction!

I will be back with an update when I get my Covid results and begin the ED card process.
    Last edited by rpumpire; 03-24-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    0 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Umpire, What's your first name? Where are you traveling from?

It sounds like we are on the same track for our trip to Aruba this weekend.

We go for our Covid (PCR) test to a drive up facility tomorrow AM as well. I'm sure the results will be available by Saturday AM. The place where we are going does both the PCR and Antigen tests so we may get both (results of the antigen test are within 2 hours).

That is very cool that you do umpiring of baseball games while in Aruba. Sort of like "Spring training" for your regular season. What level/ leagues do you umpire at in the states? College?

Good luck with your test tomorrow. I'm sure after being vaccinated, we have nothing to worry about.
    Regards,
    Brian in NJ
    Brian

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Hi Umpire, What's your first name? Where are you traveling from?

It sounds like we are on the same track for our trip to Aruba this weekend.

We go for our Covid (PCR) test to a drive up facility tomorrow AM as well. I'm sure the results will be available by Saturday AM. The place where we are going does both the PCR and Antigen tests so we may get both (results of the antigen test are within 2 hours).

That is very cool that you do umpiring of baseball games while in Aruba. Sort of like "Spring training" for your regular season. What level/ leagues do you umpire at in the states? College?

Good luck with your test tomorrow. I'm sure after being vaccinated, we have nothing to worry about.
    Regards,
    Brian in NJ
    I am Rich, from Western Mass. (The Berkshires). I umpire all levels from Little League through high school, and some college over the years. I will be starting my 48th year of umpiring. Last year I umpired my 3000th game.

Good luck with your Covid test. Enjoy your trip!
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich................. HYDRATE and safe and easy travels!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    In just a few days, I will be making my 3rd two-week trip to Aruba since early December (and my 37th all-time). Time to kick off the trip report to document the preparations in the days leading up to my visit.....

I have my Covid test appointment in my hometown tomorrow morning (Thurs.) in advance of my Sunday travel. I used this location for my test in February and had the results in just over 48 hours. I am probably going to do a Vault test as well. I purchased and received the test kit prior to my last trip, but I didn't use it. I might as well use it now and we will see which yields the result the quickest.

My Dec. trip: Vault test results in ~52 hours
    My Feb. trip: Local clinic test results in ~49 hours

This trip??? Stay tuned for the exciting contest to see which is fastest!

Unlike my two previous trips, traveling will be less worrisome this time because I have been fully vaccinated. It'll be nice to view the day of airports and airplanes as a necessary nuisance, and not a danger!

I have the task of packing luggage for my Aruba trips down to a science by now. I have a corner of a room that has been a "staging area" where I have had things set aside since unpacking them a few weeks ago.

This time will be a little different, in that I will have some "umpire" luggage as well. My Aruban umpire friend has been in touch with me, and I will be umpiring a few games this trip. I missed my Spring trip to Aruba last year due to Covid, breaking a streak of about 8 or 9 years in a row of beginning my umpiring season with games on the island.

I even have a secondary set of umpire equipment (mask, chest protector, shin guards, etc.) that I have left behind with my friend there so I don't have to tote an extra piece of luggage back and forth. This time, I will not need that equipment, though. Apparently, the current protocols there do not have the umpire calling balls and strikes from behind the catcher.

Also, the current Covid protocol for sports is that the games are played without fans. I don't think too many umpires are complaining about that restriction!

I will be back with an update when I get my Covid results and begin the ED card process.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll be come in as we leave.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    You'll be come in as we leave.
    Robin, You're leaving after all this time and the all the great reports and info, just as we're arriving?
    Too bad. I'm sure the return home won't be easy. I guess you have to get your Covid test in Aruba tomorrow too? Good luck.
    Brian
    Brian

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Robin, You're leaving after all this time and the all the great reports and info, just as we're arriving?
    Too bad. I'm sure the return home won't be easy. I guess you have to get your Covid test in Aruba tomorrow too? Good luck.
    Brian
    We leave a week from today. We test on Monday.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    And the winner is .......

Vault Health (from jetBlue)!

They got my negative COVID result posted to my email in just over 31 hours after I dropped it off at the UPS store. That is, by far, the quickest time to get a result of the three trips to Aruba this winter.

We will see how long it takes to get the result from my local clinic (last trip, it took just over 48 hours). I suppose I should also hope that the result is negative as well!

I have uploaded my Vault test result and paid the mandatory Aruba insurance. Therefore, I am now the proud owner of a nice, fresh new GREEN CHECK MARK!

I will make my way to the airport hotel in Connecticut tomorrow afternoon in advance of my 6 a.m. flight Sunday morning to a certain happy island we all love!
    Last edited by rpumpire; 03-26-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Vault!
    (I'm loving this trip report already - and you're not even on the plane yet! )
    I look forward to hearing about your adventures while on the island.
    Safe travels.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you Rich. 3 of our traveling party got their negative test results back today. My wife and I are waiting for our results expected tomw AM (we were told 48 hours to receive). Hopefully we will get our green check marks and be good to go tomw afternoon.
    Brian

0 1