This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Deb and Tom Escape From Reality

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you could find earplugs at Superfoods!
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to hear of the ear!
    MACKS earplugs at the pharmacy near St Anne's church.
    On Palm beach road, past Lindas and Ningos...phrmacy abut another 100 yds up the road on the left.
    I forget the name. Noord Botica or Sainta Anna Botica

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBunches View Post
    I've lost track of the days, but I guess that is what vacations are for! I will catch up on the highlights, and sadly, a little low point.

After snorkeling at Arashi, we came back to the OC for showers and a little rum punch, courtesy of Tom’s outstanding bartending skills. We then walked over to Papillon for dinner. There were a few other occupied tables, but not many. Dinner and service were both outstanding.

The sidewalk merchants along the strip were set up as if it was business as usual. Everyone appeared to be fully-stocked with the usual swag. The only things missing were the shoppers and browsers. I am so sad for these people, and I wish I could buy something from each of them.

Wednesday was diving day! I am a long-time SCUBA diver, and I always dive with the fine folks at JADS. They have been taking great care of since my beginner days many years ago. I was so excited for my first time diving on Aruba that I showed up at the shop on Baby Beach WAY too early. I didn’t know that there weren’t really any shops around that area, and I hadn’t had breakfast. JP, the owner of the shop, made me coffee and a sandwich, and I have never forgotten his kindness. The shop continues to go above and beyond with their professionalism and respect for the ocean and the island. Tom is not yet certified, so he wanted to take the introductory course. (our hope was for Tom to do the intro on St. Martin in March. If he enjoyed it, he would have completed the study and pool portions at home, and then finalize his certification on Aruba. Our luggage stayed in the closet in March....)

Tom aced the mini course and the test, and we were off to Rocky Beach. This is where the low point comes in. Tom ruptured his eardrum on the first dive. The good news is that the pain is gone, but no more swimming unless we find some earplugs somewhere. Tom did love the experience while it lasted, and he wants to give it another go some day. The visibility was outstanding, the the sea animals were abundant, and the reef was as colorful as I’ve ever experienced here.

The rest of the afternoon was spent by the pool. We were completely alone the entire afternoon.

We had dinner at Faro Blanco up by the lighthouse. For a while it seems like it was getting less-than-stellar reviews, but I have never had a bad meal there. Wednesday was no exception. The food and service were outstanding. The view is unparalleled, and a great place to watch the Aruban sunset. On many visits I have gone there just for a cocktail to watch the sunset. The bar isn’t open now, so that probably isn’t an option.

Except for the ruptured ear drum thing, it was another beautiful day in paradise.

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    While I’m glad to hear the eardrum is better, I can imagine that was an extremely unpleasant experience, especially with no more swimming. Would he even be able to go in the water with earplugs?
    I think so. He is happy to float and not put his head under.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your informative posts. I love living vicariously through others.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear of the eardrum issue, but happy that the pain is gone.
    Loving Aruba from NJ
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Come back SuperBunchess. We miss you.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    1 2

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thursday is my favorite dive day, because the boat leaves from Hadicurari pier, and the dives on Thursday pretty much guarantee TURTLES! I was not disappointed. The first dive was off of the coast of Arashi, and second was the Antilla wreck. The visibility was fabulous, and just like Wednesday the sea life was abundant and the reefs were healthy looking and colorful. We saw lots of turtles on both dives. In between dives during our surface interval, a big storm was brewing to the Southwest. Two large water spouts developed parallel to each other in the clouds and eventually made it down to the ocean where they drew water up into them. It was quite a thing to see, and the captain Jair and Instructor Rudolf were very excited! The Aruban coast guard ship was sitting right near it during this apparently rare event. We were all imagining their excitement sitting so close to the spouts in that giant ship and watching Mother Nature do her thing. I have some video of it, and I will try to post it.

While I was out diving, Tom went to the Butterfly Farm and really enjoyed his visit there. We planted milkweed at home this year and eventually had some Monarch butterflies emerge from chrysalis and take flight, so we are especially keen on learning more about them. Our hope was to return so I could see the butterflies, but we never found the time. Maybe I can get there on the next visit!

Thursday afternoon we went out on The Black Pearl. I have gone out on this boat several times over the years, but this is the first time I was on the boat without the owners Albert and Joann. Albert did come out to see us on his little speedboat to say hello. Joann is in the states taking care of some family business. We had a great crew, though. Captain Andy, Eugenie and Ricardo took excellent care of us. There was only one other couple on the boat, Chris and Cynthia, and they were celebrating their 30 year anniversary. While snorkeling, Chris picked up some shells on the bottom of the ocean and very excitedly brought them on board to show Cynthia. He somehow was able to slide her anniversary present into one of the shells for her to find. It was very sweet and romantic! You can watch part of it on The Black Pearl Facebook page from September 3. They take a brief video of every voyage and post it the next day. The sail was peaceful and relaxing. I highly recommend the Black Pearl if you are looking for a fun sunset outing without the crowds and raucous party atmosphere.

It was a busy day and we were tired, so we spent it on our balcony listening to music and enjoying the view.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    REALLY...SERIOUSLY...you are home?

Thank you for sharing your time with us.

Here is the link to the video of the Black Pearl
    https://www.youtube.com/watchv=3KrRr...1D94PHgb8-PqRo

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't get the link to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    What an amazing experience! I saw video of the water spouts. So cool!
    Loving Aruba from NJ
    0 0