This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteras is in Aruba 1/31/20 - 2/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll have to remember Aqua Grill for the crab cakes. It’s something I never order out because I like my own but I would be willing to give them a try

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm late to the party this week and just catching up. Thanks for sharing your trip and your genealogy experience.
    1 1

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Quinta Del Carmen for dinner last night. We've only dined there once before, and that was just a few months after they first opened. On that visit, we thought that the ambiance and grounds were beautiful, but found the menu to be somewhat limited, and the food to be bland.

We decided to give it another try. We were very impressed with the improvements and expansions that they have made to the grounds. They were seating people in the front area, but we asked to be sat in the back courtyard. It is lovely, and we both agree that it is the prettiest, most romantic spot that we've been to in Aruba. The menu was very different from our first visit. I chose the grouper thermadore. I knew that it would be the same fish that they serve at Barefoot. My favorite dish at Barefoot is Caribbean Grouper, and I order it every year. Tom got the picanha, which is sirloin steak that has been marinated in wine and spices for 24 hrs. My fish and sides were very good. I didn't love the sauce that was on the fish, so I wouldn't order it again. Tom's steak was delicious and very tender. It is served with all of the fat left along the sides. There looked like there was a good amount of steak, but when he sliced the fat off, there was a lot less. We asked the server if it was always served this way, and she said that it is a Brazilian dish, and that's the way that it's supposed to be served. She said that some people eat the fat - ( yuck! no thank you). I had the stroopwaffle parfait for dessert, which was good but didn't blow me away. Tom had the brownie, which he loved. All in all, I'd say that the meal was good, but not outstanding. I did see the servers deliver some dishes that I'd like to try. Service was excellent. We'd probably go back again and give it one more try.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-06-2020 at 08:05 AM.

2 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting guys and taking time from your trip to bring us along. How has the water and weather been so far?
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Thanks for posting guys and taking time from your trip to bring us along. How has the water and weather been so far?
    Sean and Susan
    The weather this week has been gorgeous. Nice and warm, but not hot. We've had a couple of 1 minute showers. The water is chilly. I'm a sissy, I like the water to be warm when I go in, but I've seen very few people in the water this week.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I’ll have to remember Aqua Grill for the crab cakes. It’s something I never order out because I like my own but I would be willing to give them a try

Peggy, so many places serve crab cakes with lots of filler or previously frozen. These were fresh, very little binder, and had a delicious buttery mushroom sauce. The sauce is so good that I asked for extra.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI - I'm following a guy that is currently on the quarantined Princess ship in Japan. He's posting video updates. I'm posting updates from him on the corona virus thread, if you'd like to follow along.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Sue, I believe that the lobster is Carribean lobster. My husband loves all lobster. When we cruise, he always orders several on lobster night. He's had the lobster at Chalet Suisse before and looked forward to having it again this year.

I agree that this forum is a safe place. People are kind and polite. Even though I have only met a few people on this forum, I feel like I'm good friends with many of the members.
    I also like lobster but have not tried it in Aruba. I have read many posts that there is quite a difference in the Lobster served there.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Quinta Del Carmen for dinner last night. We've only dined there once before, and that was just a few months after they first opened. On that visit, we thought that the ambiance and grounds were beautiful, but found the menu to be somewhat limited, and the food to be bland.

We decided to give it another try. We were very impressed with the improvements and expansions that they have made to the grounds. They were seating people in the front area, but we asked to be sat in the back courtyard. It is lovely, and we both agree that it is the prettiest, most romantic spot that we've been to in Aruba. The menu was very different from our first visit. I chose the grouper thermadore. I knew that it would be the same fish that they serve at Barefoot. My favorite dish at Barefoot is Caribbean Grouper, and I order it every year. Tom got the picanha, which is sirloin steak that has been marinated in wine and spices for 24 hrs. My fish and sides were very good. I didn't love the sauce that was on the fish, so I wouldn't order it again. Tom's steak was delicious and very tender. It is served with all of the fat left along the sides. There looked like there was a good amount of steak, but when he sliced the fat off, there was a lot less. We asked the server if it was always served this way, and she said that it is a Brazilian dish, and that's the way that it's supposed to be served. She said that some people eat the fat - ( yuck! no thank you). I had the stroopwaffle parfait for dessert, which was good but didn't blow me away. Tom had the brownie, which he loved. All in all, I'd say that the meal was good, but not outstanding. I did see the servers deliver some dishes that I'd like to try. Service was excellent. We'd probably go back again and give it one more try.
    We dined in the courtyard area and it is gorgeous. Our grouper was very tasty and we tried the orange cosmos which were delicious. It was too bad the steak was not what you were expecting. I would have hated the fat as well. There are so many great restaurants it is hard to choose each visit.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Peggy, so many places serve crab cakes with lots of filler or previously frozen. These were fresh, very little binder, and had a delicious buttery mushroom sauce. The sauce is so good that I asked for extra.
    we will have to try this. I loved the mushroom sauce they served with my schnitzel at Chalet Suisse.
    0 0