This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteras is in Aruba 1/31/20 - 2/20/20

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Gunk in the bottom...yuck! So glad to hear you guys enjoying walking around as much as I do. Have fun.

There's stuff growing in the bottom, like algae. I don't know what it's called, but lots of people get in it.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the last few times that we stayed there, they were cleaning up the lagoon (one of the guests explained to me it was an every few month maintenance).
    there was a guy scuba diving and kind of towing along a small boat with a vacuum contraption thing.
    he was there daily for the 2 weeks we were there.
    the stuff that he appeared to be removing looked like deflated balloons.

we often swam and or floated in that lagoon.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    You really seem to enjoy the same restaurants we enjoy. The Ren is the first place we stayed here and where we feel totally in love with the island. I am really enjoying your trip report.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Renaissance but generally use the pools when staying there. I did reserve a cabana at the island for one day on our May trip. Hoping there’s no bottom coating over there.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I love the Renaissance but generally use the pools when staying there. I did reserve a cabana at the island for one day on our May trip. Hoping there’s no bottom coating over there.
    The water on the island is beautiful and clear. There is a little coral along the shoreline to step around, but you wil have steps leading to the water at your cabana. You will love it.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, it has been a busy couple of days. Tom can only stay in beach slug mode for so long, so when we get to Renaissance, we hit the ground, running. On Monday, we spent the morning by the lagoon. We decided to go walk around town that afternoon. We walked to the flea market by the Citgo station, next to the cruise entrance. He was looking for the lady that sells the carved iguanas that her uncle carves out of burl wood. We walked all over and finally found a table that had just a few carved items, but the lady was nowhere to be found. The guy in the next booth asked us if we wanted to speak to her, and we said we did. I thought that she was outside or somewhere close by. He actually called her and got her on the phone. She said that she was close by and would be there in a few minutes. We spent the time buying a few trinkets (caps for Tom's friends, beach cover up for me, another shirt for Tom, sunglasses for me), all things that we were going to buy around town, anyway, so it was one stop shopping. The lady showed up, and she remembered us, so she greeted us with hugs and kisses. She has moved most of her stuff to Palm Beach, to a kiosk near Hard Rock. She had some nice turtles for sale, and Tom didn't have one, so he bought that. Next time, we will visit her in Palm Beach.

We walked around town for quite a while. It was hot and we were thirsty, so we stopped by Lucy's to get a drink, and sat out back by the waterfront. It is great that they are still doing well in that spot.

We went back to Renn. and cleaned up, and then walked to Yemanja for dinner. It was packed, and there was still a long line at the door at 9:00 when we left. I had two appetizers for my dinner, stuffed shrimp (excellent), pumpkin ravioli (very good). Tom got the surf and turf skillet, with steak and shrimp, and it was incredible. I'm planning on ordering that next time. This has now moved up to his number one dinner on this trip. Yemanja has my favorite dessert, banana tart tartin, and they brought back Tom's favorite dessert, by popular demand, chocolate souffle. We were stuffed. We walked along the waterfront for a while, and then went back to Rennaissance. We had a early day planned for Tuesday.

Tuesday was a special day. I had seen our dear friend, Bully, tour guide extraordinaire, post some pictures of some owls last summer. I immediately messaged him and told him that we wanted to go see the owls on our next visit. Since we've been here so many times, there isn't much that we haven't seen, so Bully and I came up with some ideas. We started the day with breakfast at Bright Bakery, one of our favorite stops. We headed towards San Nicolas, and stopped at Mangel Halto and some places in Savanetta, along the way. Bully parked in San Nicolas, and gave us a great tour of the incredible murals. Then he took us to an abandoned phosphate mine near the anchor. He and Tom climbed down into a hole, and I decided to wait for them up top. Bully had a flashlight, and they had a blast, exploring under ground. He then took us to an underground cave near Baby Beach. That one has a ladder that you climb done. It has water that you can walk through. After that, we went by the pet cemetery. After this, he took us to an area not far from the hospital that has an owl's nest. I was surprised to see the parents and a few babies hanging out. I figured that actually seeing them would be hit or miss. They hung around for a few minutes, while we took pictures. Bully dropped us off at Superfoods, and we stocked up for the next week. We caught a taxi back to Renn., had a late lunch, and then hung out at the pool, through happy hour. We decided to eat at Renn's restaurant, Fresco, for dinner. We both had the pasta in the wheel, which was very good.

This morning, we took the 7:15 boat to the island. I love it over here in the early morning. It's so peaceful.

I don't know how to post pictures. Bully posted some on facebook, and I posted some on the Renaissance facebook page. Andrea, if you'd like to post some of our adventures, that's fine with me. The mine pictures are quite interesting.
    Last edited by hatteras; 02-20-2020 at 09:45 AM.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great time.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are doing lots!!
    the bully tour I am sure was awesome.
    I will post some of your photos.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hatteras' photos from the tour with Bully and their view from their 1st week at Costa Linda

Hatteras is in Aruba  1/31/20 - 2/20/20-84539906_10221084063155039_8461118270706024448_o-jpgHatteras is in Aruba  1/31/20 - 2/20/20-84832345_10220654159014833_8292937697970880512_n-jpgHatteras is in Aruba  1/31/20 - 2/20/20-85209471_10220654158774827_3893380453595348992_n-jpg
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see an owl. Not sure about going in a cave with a flashlight though.

I remember your mission to find the carved iguanas. You were looking for them when I was searching for a djucu. Glad you were able to catch up with the lady who sells them!

0 0