This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Hatteras trip report. 6/4/21 - 6 /18/21

Post Thanks / Like
    How unnerving! Fortunately, someone was able to bring him in.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    She is an angel and he is one lucky guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    I decided to finish my trip report after we get home because the wifi goes down every few minutes and it's very frustrating to type a report. I do want to share what happened last night. While we were having dinner at Barefoot, we noticed a lot of the staff rushing towards the edge of the water. We looked toward the water and saw a woman, fully clothed, carrying a man to the shore. He seemed to be ok, but sat down in the sand for the remainder of the time that we were there. We talked to our server about what happened and she said that she heard the woman that was with him screaming and someone rushed in and saved him. We didn't hear anything. It was very disturbing to us that we were just two tables away from the shoreline, enjoying our meal, and we didn't hear or notice anything. I'm so glad that someone heard them. I guess this is how people drown close by other people. You just don't realize someone is in distress near you. He seemed to be ok, just stunned and we never saw the lady that rescued him again. I guess that she came from Reflextions, next door.
    Trip 33 begins on July 15.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, scary event during a nice dinner. Thankfully the man is going to be okay.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    from what i'v heard drowning people usually don't make much noise, so it could be hard to hear if someone is in actual distress. makes it kind of scary and a good lesson for all.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    typically a drowning person is unable to scream for help and often times is facing away from safety.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that you are able to put that experience behind you and enjoy the last couple days.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 2

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    I finally have a few minutes to finish up my trip report. We arrived home on Sat. June 19 at 1:30 am. This trip took us 13 hours to get home, from Renaissance to our house. It was a long day, not helped by having to wear a mask almost the entire time, except when eating a snack and drinking a beverage. I'll get back to our airport experience near the end of this report.

Week 2 - As I posted earlier, we moved to Renaissance the second week, from Costa Linda. While Costa Linda was relatively busy, Renaissance was packed. Many, many large groups around the pool and the pool bars, apparently there to party. It was definitely a different crowd than what we are used to in February. I'm sure that breaking free from covid had something to do with it, but this felt more like South Beach than Aruba. I suspect that a lot of these people had booked the all-inclusive, because many of them were at the swim up bar from morning until after we went to bed. The restaurants at Renn. were very crowded, along with the restaurant on the private island. I felt sorry for the staff because they were overwhelmed at times.

We divided our days between floating in the water on the private island, and floating in the water in the pools. The blow up noodles held up well throughout the entire trip. We really enjoyed them.

We had breakfast several times on the island, which is always a treat. Breakfast was especially busy each day, and as I mentioned, the servers were overwhelmed by the amount of people dining. They did their best, but it was hard for them to remember everything. They really need to bring in more servers.

We only went to happy hour at Renaissance a few times because we were either still on the island or we were getting ready for dinner. They used to have a band that played most days that we really enjoyed, but this year they have a DJ that played loud, hip hop type music, which isn't our thing.

Dinners -

West Deck - always a favorite and it did not disappoint. We had the same thing that we get every time - Balashi Grouper Fingers.

Taste My Aruba - This was new to us this year. We went because they have fresh, real grouper. We arrived and were told that there was no grouper that day, which was disappointing because that's why we were there. I decided on the Drunken Shrimp Linguini, and Tom chose the Lobster Linguini. My meal was very good and Tom's was fabulous. The lobster was very fresh (Caribbean, caught locally) and the sauce was delicious. We shared their famous cashew cake for dessert, and that was very good. The staff was excellent.

Cafe the Plaza -I wasn't in the mood for a big meal so we decided to give Cafe the Plaza a try. I had a bowl of tomato soup and Tom had the pork sate. My soup was average and Tom really liked his dinner.

Barefoot - always my favorite. I wrote earlier about the rescue of the snorkeler on the beach while we were eating, so I'll just talk about the food. I had my usual, Caribbean Grouper and Tom tried the Grouper Romana. Mine was great but Tom didn't love his meal. He topped it off with the Chocolate Brownie with Ice Cream, which is his favorite dessert.

Yemanja - I had shown Tom pictures of the new Grilled Tenderloin Kebab with loaded potato fries, and he was all in. He loved every bite. I had my usual, Grouper Filet with Boursin Cheese, and it was as delicious as I remembered. I realize that none of the grouper dishes that I had are actually grouper, but they were all great. There was no room for dessert after this meal.

Casa Tua - We went on Wednesday night because that's the night that Amy Sorrino performs on the stage in front of the restaurant. We got there early to get a good seat. We shared the pizza that has shrimp and really enjoyed it. Amy was outstanding, as always, and came by to chat with us during her break.

Dutch Pancake House - We went there on our last night. We had planned on going one morning for breakfast but the line always had about 50 or so people waiting, so we decided to have breakfast for dinner. We shared a savory pancake, and a sweet pancake with nutella, strawberries and bananas. As always, everything was very good.

We tested at the Renaissance Convention Center two days before we left to come home. Our appointment was at 8:30 am. We arrived at 8:20 and we left the building at 8:39. It was very simple and very easy. Our negative results came in around 4:30 the next morning. I walked over the next morning and they printed the results for us.

As I mentioned, going home was a long process. I had read several stories of it taking about 3 1/2 hours to get through the airport on the previous Friday, so we decided that we would allow about that much time. We got through in about 1 1/2hours. The lines for check in were really long, but we had priority check in, and only had 3 people ahead of us. There were only 2 customs agents working, but the lines moved well. We were able to get inside the customs room to get in the line, but a few minutes after we got in, the lines were backing up through the luggage room. I think if we hadn't been able to use the priority check in, we would not have been able to get ahead of the crowd, and it probably would have taken us at least another hour to get through everything. Both flights home were good and on time.

We rode with Bully several times. He started back to work the day that we moved from Costa Linda. He looks great but he has lifting restrictions right now. Tom handled all of our luggage.

Top Three Restaurants for Tom-
    1 - Taste My Aruba
    2 - Yemanja
    3- Matthews for ribs night

Top Three Restaurants for Dianne-
    1 - Barefoot (always my number 1)
    2 - Yemanja
    3 - Taste My Aruba

Another great trip, and only 7 months to go until we are back on the island!
    Last edited by hatteras; 06-27-2021 at 04:31 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks so much for sharing the last of your trip. The lobster linguini at Taste My Aruba sounds delish.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thirteen hours to get home!! That’s a really long day. Glad you had a good trip though. You hit up a lot of our favorite restaurants. It’s nice to hear that they were open.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow 13 hrs is a long haul.
    Been there, done that and hate it.

Thank you so much for sharing your Aruba Story.

Does Taste My Aruba have a set menu or is it a surprise each time?
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0