This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memory Lane

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    peg...now that I think about it, I think it was a punch.

Actually... if I remember it was Tom who you punched in the arm saying “look at that”!!

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahahahaha I punch all my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Actually... if I remember it was Tom who you punched in the arm saying “look at that”!!
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like

2007: My most emotional

In 2007, on our third trip to the island, I found something that brought me to tears. To set the stage, let me tell you that I returned to Aruba in 2003 after retiring. It was my first trip back in 46 years! I am a Lago Colony child having been born there in 1948 and leaving in 1957 when my father retired from Standard Oil. Anyway, for some reason I had never explored much of what was left of the colony on my first two trips back in 2003 and 2005. With so much of the colony housing and other buildings gone, I just didn't, though I did make great use of Baby Beach where I learned to swim as a child (we called it Baby Lagoon). One day, my wife said, "Let's just go looking around," so we did. After a short drive up to hospital hill, we slipped down into a few of the remaining homes. My family lived in Bung 330 the whole time we were there, so I thought I would look. And there it was! Still there after all of those years. I cried happy tears.

I don't know if it still stands today, but here is a picture of it in 2007. And that is one very happy memory out of many I have had since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Memory Lane-100_0443-jpg  
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ARUBA57 View Post
    In 2007, on our third trip to the island, I found something that brought me to tears. To set the stage, let me tell you that I returned to Aruba in 2003 after retiring. It was my first trip back in 46 years! I am a Lago Colony child having been born there in 1948 and leaving in 1957 when my father retired from Standard Oil. Anyway, for some reason I had never explored much of what was left of the colony on my first two trips back in 2003 and 2005. With so much of the colony housing and other buildings gone, I just didn't, though I did make great use of Baby Beach where I learned to swim as a child (we called it Baby Lagoon). One day, my wife said, "Let's just go looking around," so we did. After a short drive up to hospital hill, we slipped down into a few of the remaining homes. My family lived in Bung 330 the whole time we were there, so I thought I would look. And there it was! Still there after all of those years. I cried happy tears.

I don't know if it still stands today, but here is a picture of it in 2007. And that is one very happy memory out of many I have had since.