This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: My 4 month trip is about over with.

Post Thanks / Like

My 4 month trip is about over with.

I came to Aruba the first part of December. I don't write daily reviews, because it would sound like a broken record. This was my 63rd trip to Aruba and its feeling like my first home more and more. I really LOVE Aruba!
    I was diving on Curacao with my Daughter, a year ago March and they closed the Aruba Airport. I could not get back to Aruba until last Summer, when they opened the airport. So last March, I decided to sell the snorkel business and so I did. I am still The REAL ARUBA BOB, but I am not with the company anymore. I did see them giving a few tours last summer and a few more this winter, but I did realize, that this was the best thing I ever did. When you try running a business over 2,000 miles away from your home, its more work and stress than you realize. So I am a Happy Camper! I have met so many people over the past 20 years, I always have someone to take snorkeling. So now that I have more time to do some exploring, we found the spot where turtles hang out. So almost everyday I would snorkel with the turtles. Some days 3 or 4. A few days about 15 turtles. So that's going to be my new gig, since I am a Resident and still stay 6 months a year here. I will show people the turtles up close. And if they are really adventurous, and good swimmers, I will go to Mangel Halto because that's the Coral Gardens of the Island.
    So my Wife and Daughter came over Christmas and New Years for 3 weeks. Then my Daughter is going to School to be a Nurse. So with online learning, she was able to come back 2 more times. So she got 3 trips this winter. My wife was not to crazy on coming back, with the testing, so I flew to Orlando in Feb for 10 days and we enjoyed a Marriott Timeshare. I do rent a Air B&B for 6 months a year and they keep all my clothes and toys. ( 2 motorcycles, 2 bikes and 2 UTV's.) I really did not want to rent a car 6 months a year or buy a car so we make do this way! So we did stay in alot of timeshares this trip, even though I had my other place. The deals were really good and I could pretty well get into the Marriott any week I wanted to. So it was a very fun winter. We do alot of cooking in the room, since I am here so long, But here are the places I really enjoyed:
    For Taco Tuesday, I tried Crafts, Lucie's, a place in the Containers and Pure Ocean at Divi Phoenix. Some were $1 and some were $2 a taco. Hands down, the Pure Ocean beat them all. They were twice the size and filled to the fullest. Steak tacos was my favorite.
    We also tried Daniels steak house for the first time. I would put that steak up against anyone's! Right behind Daniels is Azia. Chineese and it was fabulous!!!The Local Store was also good for finger foods. We don't drink so I can't tell you about any of the drinks anywhere. That does save a lot of money and probably pays for several months in Aruba.
    We always enjoy Sultans for a Local place. Also ZeeRovers, and Casa Vieja are right at the top of the list. The Sunday BBQ is always good just by the ocean right before the circle to go to Lings. We also really like Yemanja. That's our old time favorite. There are so many food trucks since the covid, its really crazy how they can all make it.
    As far as coming to Aruba, I was here 2 months last Summer and 4 months this winter. I would not even think twice about coming to Aruba. I feel alot safer here than in Indiana. My wife just told me there are 10 people off of work with Covid at home. The numbers you see on Aruba, are the younger kids and they sit on the beach, parking lots, bars when they were opened, and they drink and pass the bottle and no mask. Well 99.9% of the tourist coming over here, will not even be close to that environment. So if you ask me, get on a plane and come to Aruba. You will not be sorry. Things are slowly picking back up, but they are still not full tilt. This is a Tourist's dream!!! Sorry for going on and on, but that's the REST of the story!!! Good Day!!!
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Kent, thanks for the report and encouraging words about visiting Aruba. That explanation of where the local cases are coming from makes a lot of sense to me. We’ve seen that scene before in Aruba and it’s what I pictured might be the cause of many problems. We are coming down this a Sunday and were getting a bit concerned about the numbers and the increased restrictions there but after reading your comments I feel much better about our visit.
    have a safe return back to Indiana (won’t call it home).
    Brian

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    kent/bob thank you so much for sharing your time with us.I wish I had known you were there in early Dec, I would have wanted to meet up with you for a visit and turtle snorkel!

safe travels to Indiana.....it is time for your Spring/Summer/fall business to keep you busy!

I am glad that you mentioned about the young people that are possibly the spreaders of covid.
    I hear from so many people about the evening gatherings and using the trunks of cars as bars.
    I hope the new temporary rules bring the #'s down significantly.

Again Kent, thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent-ArubaBob View Post
    I came to Aruba the first part of December. I don't write daily reviews, because it would sound like a broken record. This was my 63rd trip to Aruba and its feeling like my first home more and more. I really LOVE Aruba!
    I was diving on Curacao with my Daughter, a year ago March and they closed the Aruba Airport. I could not get back to Aruba until last Summer, when they opened the airport. So last March, I decided to sell the snorkel business and so I did. I am still The REAL ARUBA BOB, but I am not with the company anymore. I did see them giving a few tours last summer and a few more this winter, but I did realize, that this was the best thing I ever did. When you try running a business over 2,000 miles away from your home, its more work and stress than you realize. So I am a Happy Camper! I have met so many people over the past 20 years, I always have someone to take snorkeling. So now that I have more time to do some exploring, we found the spot where turtles hang out. So almost everyday I would snorkel with the turtles. Some days 3 or 4. A few days about 15 turtles. So that's going to be my new gig, since I am a Resident and still stay 6 months a year here. I will show people the turtles up close. And if they are really adventurous, and good swimmers, I will go to Mangel Halto because that's the Coral Gardens of the Island.
    So my Wife and Daughter came over Christmas and New Years for 3 weeks. Then my Daughter is going to School to be a Nurse. So with online learning, she was able to come back 2 more times. So she got 3 trips this winter. My wife was not to crazy on coming back, with the testing, so I flew to Orlando in Feb for 10 days and we enjoyed a Marriott Timeshare. I do rent a Air B&B for 6 months a year and they keep all my clothes and toys. ( 2 motorcycles, 2 bikes and 2 UTV's.) I really did not want to rent a car 6 months a year or buy a car so we make do this way! So we did stay in alot of timeshares this trip, even though I had my other place. The deals were really good and I could pretty well get into the Marriott any week I wanted to. So it was a very fun winter. We do alot of cooking in the room, since I am here so long, But here are the places I really enjoyed:
    For Taco Tuesday, I tried Crafts, Lucie's, a place in the Containers and Pure Ocean at Divi Phoenix. Some were $1 and some were $2 a taco. Hands down, the Pure Ocean beat them all. They were twice the size and filled to the fullest. Steak tacos was my favorite.
    We also tried Daniels steak house for the first time. I would put that steak up against anyone's! Right behind Daniels is Azia. Chineese and it was fabulous!!!The Local Store was also good for finger foods. We don't drink so I can't tell you about any of the drinks anywhere. That does save a lot of money and probably pays for several months in Aruba.
    We always enjoy Sultans for a Local place. Also ZeeRovers, and Casa Vieja are right at the top of the list. The Sunday BBQ is always good just by the ocean right before the circle to go to Lings. We also really like Yemanja. That's our old time favorite. There are so many food trucks since the covid, its really crazy how they can all make it.
    As far as coming to Aruba, I was here 2 months last Summer and 4 months this winter. I would not even think twice about coming to Aruba. I feel alot safer here than in Indiana. My wife just told me there are 10 people off of work with Covid at home. The numbers you see on Aruba, are the younger kids and they sit on the beach, parking lots, bars when they were opened, and they drink and pass the bottle and no mask. Well 99.9% of the tourist coming over here, will not even be close to that environment. So if you ask me, get on a plane and come to Aruba. You will not be sorry. Things are slowly picking back up, but they are still not full tilt. This is a Tourist's dream!!! Sorry for going on and on, but that's the REST of the story!!! Good Day!!!
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kent - Thanks for sharing your Aruba story with us. I look forward to hearing more about the turtles the next time our paths cross in Aruba. We had the best time on your tour a few years ago. I can tell from your report that you are truly happy with your decisions. And man, those timeshare deals this year were good ones! Congrats to your daughter on her choice to study nursing.. I remember how patient and kind she was to an extremely nervous woman who snorkeled with our group. Safe travels and best wishes to your family.

Tracey and Jon
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Kent - it was great seeing you again after all these years! Had a great time catching up! See you again later this year in Aruba!
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: Oct. & Nov. 2020 -- 41st trip to Aruba: Feb & March 2021

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Kent, even though you don't report daily this is one of the best trip reports I've read and appreciate. It was great running into you in December while I was having lunch at Pure Ocean at Divi Phoenix. I have to agree that the tacos at Pure Ocean were awesome and so filling for just $2. I've only dinned at Daniels and Yemanja once but you have renewed my interest to return. For my 1 week trips it's just so hard with so many great restaurant choses. I'm glad you mentioned Casa Vieja which I did not know was still around. They make some awesome Colombian food and very affordable. I hope to run into you again sometime in the future and maybe go snorkeling.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing Kent. Your turtle excursions sound like fun!! People would love it.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your report. I wish I would have known so we could have met. Hopefully we will meet at the airport or on the plane since we are on the same flight.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing! I will try and member the tacos...my wife loves them as does our son. Glad you feel like selling your business was the right move.
    Trip 32 begins on June 5.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Kent. Wish we could have got together in December, but there's always next time. Safe travels.

0 0