This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ongoing trip report - January 29 through February 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Every day is a new experience. I think you are thoroughly enjoying your stay. I also love SuperFoods. So many new and different foods.
    Last edited by Sue M.; 02-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Sue, thank you for reassuring me I am not alone in my love of Super Foods! I just love looking at all the exotic treats, and how they repackage American foods - before my trip is done, I have to dash over and take more photos. Now, what I *really* wish is I could bring the yummy mystery treats back home but I was informed by folks I visited at the beach that unless it's packaged at a manufacturer, I can't. It would have been fun to serve my colleagues at work a mystery-treat buffet.

Confessions: I looooooove food. Love it! Until I was 30 I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce. Totally different story now, I am sure many women can relate. I lost 10 pounds before my trip (I am a big woman) it was a major effort...about a half pound a week. And I did not deviate from my diet. Well, in a day I am pretty sure I've gained it all back and then some. I feel like a puff-ball mushroom. But! I am having sooooooo much fun. So I'll fast and avoid carbs when I get home.

I am traveling with a woman who is stylishly thin, and she watches every little thing she puts in her mouth - that is *not* me. Ah well, at my age (54) I shouldn't be so damned vain anyway. So be it, who is there to impress anyway at this age?!? I mean, the plane could crash! And I am sure they don't have cashew punk in heaven! (I can rationalize any of my naughtiness.)

So, today was no-plans day. My friend awoke early and nabbed the front-row palapa. I sauntered over about 11:30 a.m. It felt *really* good to sleep in. We spent the day floating and drinking and sunning and drinking and floating and drinking some more. Did I mention we drank?

Topped the evening off with dinner at Passions on the Beach because we just wanted to stay in the neighborhood. My friend agreed that the spring rolls rocked.

She's staying at the Eagle Beach resort. Totally different energy and atmosphere and I am so grateful for Amsterdam Manor. I prefer a more quaint and intimate experience. Plus the room location just doesn't get better...steps away from the beach. Spectacular views. I really lucked out. Counting my blessings.

Finally, sunscreen eludes me. Back in the day, I barely needed it. Now, whatever part of my body isn't immersed gets blisters. But unless you spray-coat yourself in it, you're going to get weird and random red spots. Ah well, better than sun poisoning. It's just that deep, dark tan that makes folks in Minnesota oooze envy is nonexistent.

Ah well, even if I don't look like I visited Aruba, I am collecting amazing memories.
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great day. You are living the good life. Sun, sand, and water. Eat and drink. That is what iT is all about. Enjoy.
    1 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    foods that you cannot bring to the USA (US CUSTOMS regulations):
    meat
    fresh fruit
    fresh veggies

-------------------

head back over to Superfoods and pick up some awesome:
    Old Amsterdam Gouda Cheese
    Stroopwaffel cookies
    Douwe Egbert Coffee
    Dutch Curry Ketchup (OMG good)

I am so glad to read that you did not go thirsty on the beach!!!
    If it's wet it hydrates

Your friend is stylishly thin I hate her

Again, thanks.
    Carry on.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    1 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea, thank you so very much for those excellent recommendations! I will!

I awoke today with eyes so swollen I could barely open them...don't know if it's the booze or the sun. So I eliminated (most) of the booze today because I sure as heck *will not* give up the sun. I have months of gray and cold to look forward to once I return home.

After the day-and-night drinking yesterday, we were up way too early to enjoy a champagne brunch cruise with Octopus Tours; it was beautiful and the hosts - Addie and Capt. Jethro - were super friendly. I am not a swimmer at all, and was slightly hungover, so I passed on the snorkeling and enjoyed the ride. I did have a couple of mimosas and switched to water for the rest of the day.

I was flabbergasted by the congestion on Palm Beach, just row after row of jam-packed palapas. It is light years different from Eagle. It felt like Las Vegas with the enormous resorts. So glad for these boards and all of you who are so generous with your advice and experience, because if I would have landed there, I would have been miserable.

After the cruise I just came back and played in the ocean for a bit, lounged by the pool, then decided to clean up and walk to Palm Beach. I wanted to experience Gianni's after I heard it mentioned by three people - a woman from Massachusetts who I met on the plane, the couple from Ohio I met in the ocean the other day, and then a couple from Sweden. I spied the restaurant when we were riding back to the hotel after our cruise, and I miraculously walked right to it even though I was walking beach-side and not on the road. I decided to exit the Hilton (mostly because it was a very pretty, if not ridiculously busy, resort), and there it was.

I had the Fruit of the Sea pasta which was outstanding. (The Italian food in Minneapolis is pretty much subpar, so that's why I have a fixation on it here.) Deciding whether I want to go there again for my last meal or seek out wahoo...which was served at Carte Blanche and is now my new favorite fish.

I caught the sun setting on the stroll back home; it seemed to go way faster than the walk there.

After a nice soak in the jacuzzi (I loooove that my room has a jacuzzi)...I am going to get some much-needed rest.

After seeing some of the larger resorts on the island, I am appreciating Amsterdam Manor all the more and am glad I made this choice.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 02-02-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    0 4

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    as strongly as many advocate for Eagle Beach area.........there are those that have just the opposite opinion.
    I too am and Eagle Beach are lover!

my favorite though........is Boca Catalina Beach and Surfside.

Glad that you had an awesome experience with Octopus.
    So many love that experience!

Wet tea bags on your eyes?
    (if you do not have any, ask the front desk)
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe next trip I try Boca Catalina - it looked little more isolated when the cruise took us out that way - love being isolated...

Thank you for the tea idea - we do have some in the room!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Today is going to be my last full day in Aruba. And I was wide awake at 4:30 a.m. because I made the mistake of accepting the espresso offered to me at the conclusion of dinner at 2 Fools and a Bull. The ultimate first-world problem. (So, I am giving in and typing this quick report.)

While 2 Fools and a Bull was a fun experience and the food was excellent; I prefer Carte Blanche simply because I thought the offerings were tastier to me - I think this is TOTALLY a matter of preference.The primary difference between the two, I observed, is that 2 Fools has already prepared much of the courses whereas Carte Blanche creates most of them in front of their guests.

Unfortunately, I didn't know my travel companion as well as I should have before the trip (how much trouble can someone be when they hit their 60s? Right?) Well, she ended up having too much to imbibe and I ended up babysitting her by the time dessert came around; this and other behavior that doesn't need to be detailed, colored my experience as well. This was good contrast for me to realize traveling alone is just fine. (I had met her through a meet-up group a few months before the trip and had only gone out with her a couple of times, and she seemed perfectly fine and is a professional. Like I said, lesson learned. I don't know how people who lead tours do it because it they could end up with a total whacko along and they have to take care of everyone. I could at least put up some boundaries.)

On a more positive note, my day began with a stroll to the Butterfly Farm - my new happy place. It was magical! And I learned so much about butterflies! Like, the ones from the rain forest nourish themselves on fermented fruit, so they essentially spend their five-week lifespan flying around drunk and trying to mate. Not unlike too many people I know. You can tell the males that end up "getting around" too much, explained the young guide, because they look beat up and die faster. Let that be a lesson to you, men!

My favorite type of butterfly, a deep, iridescent blue, landed on me and hung out for several minutes. There were butterflies of every color, and lots of monarchs, plus a koi pond and some budgies trained not to eat the butterflies. It was a peaceful, beautiful place.

I am returning there tomorrow at 7:15 a.m. for a guided meditation. (My plane doesn't take off 'til 4:30 p.m., but I do plan to get to the airport by 12:30 as I heard customs can be a bear.) What's cool is that the Butterfly Farm let's you return free all week once you pay the price of admission the first time.

As I was strolling back home I noticed an isolated beach area in front of the Azure condominiums. I took note and returned to float for about an hour - I am not a fan of any kind of crowds and it was nice to share the beach with just two people. (The reason I chose Aruba was the guaranteed warm weather - otherwise, you will find me in the sparsely populated Out Islands of the Bahamas. But the Bahamas aren't as warm as Aruba this time of year. I have a trip to Cat Island at the end of April when - fingers crossed - it should be in the 80s.)

Today the plan is to visit Super Foods to get Andrea's recommended souvenirs, spend hours in the ocean, and then maybe enjoy a final dinner out. I am contemplating a trip to the Donkey Sanctuary, but not sure how the taxi situation would work and I would like to keep my final day stress-free and simple, especially as my traveling companion is flying out today and I don't have to worry about her anymore.
    Last edited by ideastowords; 02-04-2020 at 05:50 AM.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to plan ahead for the airport, but three hours should be fine, especially mid-week.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know! Thank you!
    0 0