This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin and Stu Dec. 12-Mar. 31

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, any updates on the breaking water pipes you mentioned the other day?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by annf View Post
    Robin, any updates on the breaking water pipes you mentioned the other day?
    Yes, they did a temporary fix in the morning, then in the afternoon they shut off the water to the 5th floor and fixed the pipe. It had become disconnected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we went to pay for our car registration. We first went to the MFA in Noord and they said they do not take cash any more and sent us to the main office near the airport. We waited under tents outside for a little over an hour. Once we got inside we had to tell them why we were there(used to use a kiosk), they said we can only pay cash if we were over 60-I'll turn 60 later in the year and hubby is a few months younger than me. They want everything to be paid with a debit card from Aruban banks. We had to speak to a supervisor and she wanted us to do a bank transfer. We said I would be 60 later this year and she finally relented. We go our number and waited about 10 minutes to be called, paid and were out the door. From the time we arrived until we left was under an hour and 45 minutes. We stopped at Pricesmart since we were in the area. We stopped at Dijtham and then headed back to the condo for lunch. After lunch I headed to the pool and Stu joined me later.

We went to Taste My Aruba for dinner after browsing in Coscha. Instead of bread, the brought out crunchy funchi fries with tomato jam. I had the grouper and Stu had AmberJack. Both came with mango salsa, jasmine rice, truffle mashed potatoes, black beans and plantains. We skipped the black beans-I am allergic and Stu doesn't like them. Everything was so very good. Neither of us finished our meal. We split a large slice of a very good cashew cake.

Once home we went upstairs to help out our friend who is leaving on Monday and chatted for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder why you have to be 60 to pay cash? It seems like an odd requirement.

0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your dinner sounds amazing! I regret not visiting that restaurant while
    I was there but it sounds fantastic. I am weak for mango salsa. Too bad you’re allergic to black beans they’re super high in protein.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    had me at mango salsa yum!

that debit requirement seems quite ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    I was there but it sounds fantastic. I am weak for mango salsa. Too bad you’re allergic to black beans they’re super high in protein.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    I like black beans. It took me three times eating them to figure out I was allergic or have a "food sensitivity" I don't break out in hives or anything. I have colitis like symptoms including a fever at the evening and living in the bathroom in the am for an hour or more. The first time they thought it was the flu as I shared a hotel room with a friend who woke up with the flu. The second time we were in Florida and they thought I picked up a bug because I took a dip into the intercoastal from the boat we had rented. The final time was really bad. I finally figured it out but not until I had a bunch of tests and this all happened the week second week of school and the week leading up to David's Bar Mitzvah-luckily I was very prepared for both.

Post Thanks / Like
    The debit issue. I had read that they were doing it for taxes because they did not want to take cash because of Covid. They made an acception for those over 60 because they consider them "seniors" and many don't use debit cards-doesn't make sense to me. Some people said they were just trying to force people to use specific banks on the island-sounds like Aruba. I also heard that people were paying or in the case of family members, just asking those over sixty to go in and pay in cash for them because they either did not have a bank account or it was with a bank they do not use. They also seemed to let the older people cut the outlines(as they should).

Post Thanks / Like
    I can remember saying "I can't wait till I turn 18; then I can't wait till I turn 21
    and so on. Now it's I can't wait till I turn 60. lol
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    I can remember saying "I can't wait till I turn 18; then I can't wait till I turn 21
    and so on. Now it's I can't wait till I turn 60. lol
    lol. Like my husband said, "I never thought I'd have to argue with a government to give them money".

If they weren't going to take our money, we were not going to register the car this year and just pay for two years next year since they are not changing the license plates this year. Arubans do it all the time.