This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Trip Report #16 2/24-4/3

Post Thanks / Like

Live Trip Report #16 2/24-4/3

Travel Day:

Our flight was scheduled to depart at 5:52 AM, so had the alarm set for 3:00. The wife woke up at 2:00 a little anxious about the high wind warnings. When she's up we're both up. I really could have used the extra hour of sleep. Oh well, we could at least get ready at a leisurely pace. Syracuse's airport is not that big or busy, especially on a Sunday, so we arranged for an UBER pickup at 4:30. UBER has been a reliable service for us since we started using it...JUST NOT TODAY! The first driver canceled and we were assigned to another car, but now we are scheduled to arrive at the airport is 5:00. It'll be tight, but we already have our boarding passes and no checked bags, so I think we have a chance. The app keeps updating the driver's arrival time but the time keeps increasing. At 5:00 I decide to cancel UBER and take one of our cars, so I disconnect the battery tender and throw the luggage in the car. It's now a race to the airport! We arrive at the parking garage at 5:22, the exact time that we are scheduled to board. The garage is full and we have to go up four levels to find a spot. I'm now running with three checked bags and glancing over my shoulder to see if the wife is in sight. Down four flights of stairs and into the terminal...she's still in sight. Up the escalator to security and there are no lines...I think we have a chance. Wait for the wife and hit TSA. My boarding pass won't scan, so I take out my phone and open the app. All is good. I'm not supposed to have my medical bag x-ray'd. No time for a hand check, everything in the machine. Now I'm running again, bags in hand to the gate. We're boarding on time...when does that ever happen! It's now 5:40. The wife catches up and we board, with the door closing behind us.Whew...!

Good new...the winds weren't bad and no turbulence to Charlotte. And even after all of the excitement I was able to snooze for an hour. We arrived early and make it to our next gate. After a brief layover we're on our way to the island. We watched a couple of movies and landed 3 1/2 hours later, a little ahead of schedule. There were zero people at the Happy Flow Line, so we were through in minutes.

We met Ricky from Wheels2go...always a pleasure and we were off.

We drove through downtown and straight to Super Foods. It wasn't really that busy and we were out of there in reasonable time. Got to the condo and unloaded and unpacked. We've got it down to a science now. We hadn't eaten anything all day so we went to Ling's Chinese Restaurant for dinner. They prepared a platter for two of chicken and vegetables. It was $16.80 plus tip. It's a nice local place. We've been there three times now and we'll keep going back.

We returned to the condo for a beverage, a little TV and crashed. Travel day is an exhausting adventure...!

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    What a stressful start!! Glad you made it. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy!!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made your flight! I know the adrenalin of that experience. I also experienced Uber canceling out on me and delaying me so now I only use them when I'm not in a rush and use a local cab company for airport trip. It was great that u made the smart decision to hop in your own car. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a crazy start to your day. I am glad you made it and enjoy the trip! Ours has sadly just about ended.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    omgosh
    wow
    .......that was was too stressful, well done though!!!
    if I were in your shoes, I would be sitting in a corner, crying, in the parking garage.

looking forward to hearing your adventures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back! What a stressing start to your trip! I've had to run for a plane twice-not fun at all-once our whole family and once by myself. I hope things go much smoother the rest of the trip. Hope to see you soon.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats Uber! Once they find out you want to go to airport they cancel. Its hard to get an Uber ride back home at that time in the morning. I did Uber Black for a part time in the summer. I've heard this story airport nightmare many times! Have fun in Aruba!!!
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow, I was stressed out just reading about your morning. My husband would go crazy. This really solidifies our recent choices to stay at a hotel near the airport when we have an early flight. We have 4 airports that are reasonably close to our house but with traffic and possible uber cancellations, I'm thinking that will be our move from now on when we have an early morning flight. I'm glad it all worked out and I'm sure today the relaxation really begins!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s to funny...but not to funny

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    omgosh
    wow
    .......that was was too stressful, well done though!!!
    if I were in your shoes, I would be sitting in a corner, crying, in the parking garage.

looking forward to hearing your adventures.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our airport is literally a 15 minute ride. In the end we learned a lesson. We had two of the kids pickup the car and bring it home the same day, so at least we didn’t come home to a big parking bill. Let the relaxation begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Oh wow, I was stressed out just reading about your morning. My husband would go crazy. This really solidifies our recent choices to stay at a hotel near the airport when we have an early flight. We have 4 airports that are reasonably close to our house but with traffic and possible uber cancellations, I'm thinking that will be our move from now on when we have an early morning flight. I'm glad it all worked out and I'm sure today the relaxation really begins!
    Last edited by schexc; 02-25-2019 at 02:35 PM.

0 1