This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report 9/20-10/3/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Posted twice
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura in NH View Post
    How much does tip a taxi in 'normal' times(not pandemic)??
    https://aruba.bynder.com/m/168d9a9a4...-2018-2022.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean how much do you tip a taxi driver
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh... a couple of dollars a trip, more if they help you with luggage or bags at the grocery... Or if they're really cool and you have a fun ride maybe more. I've tipped the fare going downtown with a really fun driver. So like 20 bucks downtown from hi-rise.
    Last edited by WaltVB; 09-22-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never now how much to tip either. Usually it’s around 30%. I find that many drivers are really personable and ask about your vacation and offer ideas on places to go so for those folks I tend to give more. One time we were going from downtown to LaCabana and I just wanted to run into the gift shop so I asked the driver if he would mind waiting. We gave him a $20 and he was really appreciative. The taxi fares in Aruba are quite reasonable so I don’t mind leaving extra.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually leave a bit more than I normally would at home (20-25%). The tax drivers are usually so friendly and helpful.
    So glad you arrive safely, Laura. Enjoy!!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent the day at the little pool and got way too much sun. The one person from my group that came to the island besides me is staying at ABC, but she came down to Divi and spent the day at the pool with me today. We were pretty much the only ones at the pool.

for dinner tonight I went to Taste My Aruba. I have never been but it was on my list of things to do this year… The list I made last year on the plane on the way home. I loved the food! I had some kind of cocktail that they made with vodka instead of rum at my request, they brought out funchi fries with a tomato jam. I had the ceviche appetizer which had some heat to it, and barracuda for my entrée. I have never had barracuda before and this was very good. There were some starchy sides, truffle potatoes, jasmine rice, plantains, black beans, and some pickled onions and a Creole sauce on the side.

Nathaly is such a sweetheart. She asked if I like sweets and sent me home with a piece of cashew cake with my leftover box.

I took a cab downtown since I knew I was probably going to have a cocktail and I don’t like to drive if I’ve had even one drink. It’s $10 from low rise to downtown. My cab driver on the way home was very talkative. She was telling me that I was her second fare today and her first fare had been just before mine. She said on Sunday she only had two all day. I gave her a 100% tip I liked her a lot. And I felt bad for her.

One of the employees here, the lady that used to run the bingo when they had bingo, said that they have to carry their work schedule and their work ID badges with them in case they get stopped after curfew they can show that they’re allowed to be out to get to or from work at whatever hour it is.

I had planned on going to the infinity pool tomorrow, but I’ll have to wait and see how my sunburn is doing when I get up.
    Last edited by Laura in NH; 09-23-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Talk text typo
    1 4

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends on the length of ride. I always tip 25% plus...and a lot more on short trips. An example is from the Ritz to the Hilton....the charge was always $7. I would always give at least 10 and if they were extra nice 12 since they "lost" their spot in line for a short fare. Rides from the airport I usually tip 10.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I have a friend that works for one of the largest companies on the island and when she works nights (she is there now) must carry documentation from employer in the event that she is stopped for being out after curfew.

never let the sunburn ruin your time outdoors.
    send some time under the umbrella or shade area and enjoy!!!

your tip was very generous and I am sure was much appreciated.

Nathaly is a lovely person and her "Taste My Aruba" is awesome!!
    I am glad that your meal was good and you enjoyed your night out.

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adding it to my list!

0 1