This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report January 6-April 1, 2020

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am loving your days and wishing that Paul and I were brave enough to do the trikes tour.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I am loving your days and wishing that Paul and I were brave enough to do the trikes tour.
    You should try them. It was fun. I was leery at first, but it was great. Once our kids find out, they'll think we are nuts and my younger one, the EMT, will lecture us about helmets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday and Sunday: We headed to the beach to join our friends. They are early risers and get a palapa every day and we join them on the weekends(this is their last week here). Sitting, sunning, bobbing and talking until 4 each day, return stuff to our condos and then drinks at the pool until dinner. Yesterday, I made dinner for us and today we joined them at their condo and made the remainder of the fish from the guys fishing trip.

On Saturday afternoon, we heard screeching brakes and turn around to see a van(taxi) bouncing back from the small car he hit near the entrance to Eagle Beach. We were going to head over, but so many people were closer and went running so we waited until we saw some returning and then walked down(they guys didn't want to come). It did not appear that anyone was hurt and it didn't seem like anyone was in the taxi, but the car it rear ended up going over a metal pole and into another one in the middle of the median. The car that was rear ended appeared to be driven by a young driver and there were 3 kids his age standing off to the side looking upset. It took a long time for the police to arrive and longer to have the vehicles removed since neither were drivable and both were in the wrong lane.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that on Sunday I was able to book our flight down on Jan. 4, 2021 for $237 a person one way, which was $11 a person cheaper than this year. Last year it dropped a few $$ after I booked it and I was going to wait, but hubby said just do it. Today I booked the Hampton Inn for the night before at a great rate ($114 plus taxes=$132.62) and it is cancellable up to three days before.
    Last edited by robin; 02-10-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: wrong day and fix something

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Ikes for breakfast today because I wanted to try the coconut french toast that I've read so much about on here. It was good. I think I am going to try to make it at home but use coconut syrup instead of maple syrup. Stu had the bagel and salmon platter. While walking out, I saw the largest Nutella jar I ever seen sitting on the buffet. Hubby wouldn't even let me get close to it. He knows me so well. We did some errands on the way home. We were looking for either additional flatware that matches ours to replace what is missing or something new. We were not successful. We went back to the condo and I read until I finished my book while listening to the wind whistling through the front door. Headed to DoIt and Superfoods to look for flatware and get groceries. As I got off the elevator around noon, I heard voices and was surprised to see a locksmith at the unit next to me. The group of women who checked in last night used the deadbolt before going to bed and this morning, it would not open. They had been locked in their condo all morning. As I went to put the groceries on the counter, I hit one on the cabinets and heard the sound of breaking glass. Salsa can really make a mess-it leaks right through a cheap canvas bag and drips everywhere. After lunch I headed back out in search of flatware (and a new jar of salsa). I didn't buy anything except the salsa, but I have made a decision. Even though the same flatware is available at home and I could get our friends coming in to bring it, it makes more sense just to replace it here. I'm going simple-restaurant stainless steel from Price Smart. I'll have tons of extra for future missing pieces. The only thing is most of the sets here do not have salad forks. We'll live without them. After coming home I prepped Chicken Tikki Masala for dinner and joined our friends at the pool for drinks. They said the blowing sand was so bad they left the beach early. Made dinner and now getting caught up on stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I make the coconut French toast at home using coconut milk, egg and a little vanilla. I cook it on the griddle and then brush more beaten egg and top it with the shredded coconut and toast it lightly. When I don’t have coconut milk I just use regular milk and sauté the toast in some coconut oil.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    That is pretty much what I was thinking about doing, I mean using the coconut milk, eggs and vanilla.I also picked up some coconut extract here to take home. I think I'll try adding a little of that too. I like your idea of how to toast the coconut. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I make the coconut French toast at home using coconut milk, egg and a little vanilla. I cook it on the griddle and then brush more beaten egg and top it with the shredded coconut and toast it lightly. When I don’t have coconut milk I just use regular milk and sauté the toast in some coconut oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much happening. Some housework then time at the pool by 1045. It was very windy again today. Our beach bum friends came to the pool around lunchtime today because they just couldn't deal with eating sand. Other friends joined us too then hubby came down. Hung at the pool until it was time to make dinner-Taco(salad) Tuesday's. Two friends leave tomorrow(two sisters) but one comes back with her husband in two weeks. Our other friends leave Saturday. They also informed us today that they are not staying at Oceania next year, but rather renting a house on Rt. 2. They plan on spending most their 5 weeks here, just not staying here due to issues with their current rental. We did have a surprise today. A huge yacht anchored off Eagle Beach and ferried it's passengers to the beach in a smaller boat(I didn't see that happen, but my friend did). I put a picture of it in my pictures, but it really doesn't do it justice.

Post Thanks / Like
    That yacht is a monster, lol. It looks 60 feet plus with more square feet than some smaller motels.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taco Salad Tuesday sounds fabulous.

Nice Yacht. I wonder who the owner is.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Not much happening. Some housework then time at the pool by 1045. It was very windy again today. Our beach bum friends came to the pool around lunchtime today because they just couldn't deal with eating sand. Other friends joined us too then hubby came down. Hung at the pool until it was time to make dinner-Taco(salad) Tuesday's. Two friends leave tomorrow(two sisters) but one comes back with her husband in two weeks. Our other friends leave Saturday. They also informed us today that they are not staying at Oceania next year, but rather renting a house on Rt. 2. They plan on spending most their 5 weeks here, just not staying here due to issues with their current rental. We did have a surprise today. A huge yacht anchored off Eagle Beach and ferried it's passengers to the beach in a smaller boat(I didn't see that happen, but my friend did). I put a picture of it in my pictures, but it really doesn't do it justice.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0