This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report January 6-April 1, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning our friend in the unit above us came down to measure for the improvements we will be making next year. She owns two furniture stores in Florida and used to have one here in Aruba but sold to their partner after her husband passed away 5 years ago. We will be replacing all the furniture, and window coverings. I told her that I was going through Prestige's website looking at other Oceania rentals and discovered that one unit had the same paint colors I have. I knew that was the first unit she owned(she's in the penthouse now). What I did not know was she was the one who painted it the same colors I have. What are the odds? Knowing the style I was looking for, she also suggested the line of furniture I liked online.

After she left, Stu finished up some work and we headed to Baby Beach for lunch. I thought Rum Reef had food because we had eaten there before they changed spots, but they did not have food. Stu didn't want to eat at Lago Colony because it was not full service-just walk up and order, so we headed to Big Mama. I had the chicken sate and fried plantains and Stu had the fish sandwich with the fried plantains. Food and service was fine. Walking from the parking area to Big Mama, we heard what sounded like heavy equipment behind a large fenced off area which we guess will be Sandals. If that is the location on the hill, they will have an awesome view.

When we left, we decided to find the lighthouse because Sean and Susan had recommended it. We had never been to that area before and it was as amazing as they said. The views were beautiful and the rocks so different than what we have seen elsewhere on the island. We only had about 30 minutes to spend there, but took a bunch of pictures(I'll add some to google photos) and plan on getting back there to explore some more, but I don't know if it will be this year.

We then headed to Barcadera area for our car inspection. This was our first one. We had a 2 pm appointment. We got in line and then found out you have to go inside first to take care of paperwork, then go to the line they tell you to go into, wait, they take the car and do what they do, then you pick it up at the end, go back inside and wait for the paperwork. A stop for essentials(coconut rum and Chill) at Price Smart and then home before 4 pm. Just watched TV, did some laundry, napped and had whatever was in the fridge for dinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    This morning our friend in the unit above us came down to measure for the improvements we will be making next year. She owns two furniture stores in Florida and used to have one here in Aruba but sold to their partner after her husband passed away 5 years ago. We will be replacing all the furniture, and window coverings. I told her that I was going through Prestige's website looking at other Oceania rentals and discovered that one unit had the same paint colors I have. I knew that was the first unit she owned(she's in the penthouse now). What I did not know was she was the one who painted it the same colors I have. What are the odds? Knowing the style I was looking for, she also suggested the line of furniture I liked online.

After she left, Stu finished up some work and we headed to Baby Beach for lunch. I thought Rum Reef had food because we had eaten there before they changed spots, but they did not have food. Stu didn't want to eat at Lago Colony because it was not full service-just walk up and order, so we headed to Big Mama. I had the chicken sate and fried plantains and Stu had the fish sandwich with the fried plantains. Food and service was fine. Walking from the parking area to Big Mama, we heard what sounded like heavy equipment behind a large fenced off area which we guess will be Sandals. If that is the location on the hill, they will have an awesome view.

When we left, we decided to find the lighthouse because Sean and Susan had recommended it. We had never been to that area before and it was as amazing as they said. The views were beautiful and the rocks so different than what we have seen elsewhere on the island. We only had about 30 minutes to spend there, but took a bunch of pictures(I'll add some to google photos) and plan on getting back there to explore some more, but I don't know if it will be this year.

We then headed to Barcadera area for our car inspection. This was our first one. We had a 2 pm appointment. We got in line and then found out you have to go inside first to take care of paperwork, then go to the line they tell you to go into, wait, they take the car and do what they do, then you pick it up at the end, go back inside and wait for the paperwork. A stop for essentials(coconut rum and Chill) at Price Smart and then home before 4 pm. Just watched TV, did some laundry, napped and had whatever was in the fridge for dinner.
    Rum Reef is working on their kitchen, at a very slow pace. We often stop and get something to eat at Kamini's Kitchen. It's right on the way and the food has always been very good.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup that is the area where the new resort is being built.
    the view from that bluff will be amazing, and the corporation and the government will be upgrading and improving Baby and Rogers beaches.
    (or so they say)

is there still a lighthouse in that area?
    we have never been in that area and often we say, we should go down that road....and we never do.
    thanks for posting those photos.

did you see the dog cemetery?

I think that your review of MAMA' s at Baby Beach was the first positive review that I have read in a long time.

Thanks for taking the time for us Robin.

[This morning our friend in the unit above us came down to measure for the improvements we will be making next year. She owns two furniture stores in Florida and used to have one here in Aruba but sold to their partner after her husband passed away 5 years ago. We will be replacing all the furniture, and window coverings. I told her that I was going through Prestige's website looking at other Oceania rentals and discovered that one unit had the same paint colors I have. I knew that was the first unit she owned(she's in the penthouse now). What I did not know was she was the one who painted it the same colors I have. What are the odds? Knowing the style I was looking for, she also suggested the line of furniture I liked online.

We then headed to Barcadera area for our car inspection. This was our first one. We had a 2 pm appointment. We got in line and then found out you have to go inside first to take care of paperwork, then go to the line they tell you to go into, wait, they take the car and do what they do, then you pick it up at the end, go back inside and wait for the paperwork. A stop for essentials(coconut rum and Chill) at Price Smart and then home before 4 pm. Just watched TV, did some laundry, napped and had whatever was in the fridge for dinner.]
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup that is the area where the new resort is being built.
    the view from that bluff will be amazing, and the corporation and the government will be upgrading and improving Baby and Rogers beaches.
    (or so they say)

is there still a lighthouse in that area?
    we have never been in that area and often we say, we should go down that road....and we never do.
    thanks for posting those photos.

did you see the dog cemetery?

I think that your review of MAMA' s at Baby Beach was the first positive review that I have read in a long time.

Thanks for taking the time for us Robin.
    Mama's food was fine as in okay, but that's it. They let me get plantains instead of fries, so that makes me happy. The service was good. Stu's choice not mine, although I do like the wood tables.

There is no lighthouse like the California Lighthouse, but there is something that appears to service as warning light-a light in a caged enclosure that has steps up to it but it is not tall like the old lighthouses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Rum Reef is working on their kitchen, at a very slow pace. We often stop and get something to eat at Kamini's Kitchen. It's right on the way and the food has always been very good.
    We were at Kamini's last year and loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    After breakfast today Stu scraped and caulked the shower since we won't be using it for a few days. We then headed to the Ren and checked in just before noon. Lunch was at Bistro De Suikertuin restaurant. We had been there for breakfast a few years ago. Since then there is a new owner. I had warm brie with a piece of thick dark bread, a bit of salad and I think blueberry jan on the sides of the plate. Stu had a spicy stir fry on a roll. Both were excellent as was the service. All the menu items were not on the website so it was a nice surprise.

After lunch we headed to the Renaissance Island. That yacht we saw a few weeks ago sis back in port and I took lots of pictures for my friends. It is so huge up close. The adult side seemed pretty crowded so we headed to the family side and got some loungers. We had not been on the adult side for several years and was happy to see that they added a bar and I think food to that side. We also saw a group of people talking on the walkway between the two side. One of the women had a nice beach bag that caught my attention. It had the name of the yacht on the bag.

Around 415/430 or so we headed back to the hotel, picked up our keys and went to our room to unpack and shower and relax before dinner at Yemanja. We split a bottle of wine. We both thought the salads and appetizers were more appealing that the entrees. I don't mean that the entrees were not of interest because we have had several of them in the past, but we just like the salads and appys more. I had Filo Dough with Goat Cheese: Salad Blend, Warm Fill Dough Pouch Filled with Goat Cheese,Prunes, Sundried Tomatoes, Shallots, Walnuts, Honey and Stu had Beef Carpaccio Bombe Thinly Sliced Raw Angus Beef Tenderloin, Salad Blend, Arugula, Pine nuts, Cucumber, Tomato,Scallions, Old Amsterdam Cheese, Sour Dough Croutons, Pesto, Truffle Sauce, Balsamic Crème. We actually split both and both were so delicious. Next I had: Spinach & Pumpkin Ravioli 4 pc Ravioli, Sage-Hazelnut Brown Butter Sauce, Oregano-Garlic Crumbs,Sundried Tomato Slices, Fried Sage Leaves, Chili Flakes served on the side and Stu had:Mediterranean Lamb Dumplings 5 pc Crispy Lamb Dumplings, Tunisian Tomato & Bell pepper Salsa,Garlic & Herb Creamy Yoghurt Sauce, Sumac, Mint. We did not split these because I don't like lamb and he does not like pumpkin. We looked at dessert, but we were so stuffed, we passed. We checked at "Taste My Aruba" and plan on giving it a try in the future. We walked around the Marketplace to see who will be open for lunch tomorrow because we know that some will not open and other's will close early, but it seems like there will be enough places to eat lunch.

In the square across (from Italy in the World/Fort Zoutman) there is a place with all the umbrellas. Is it just a bar? It was open when we went by after lunch, but closed after we had dinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so confused and must have missed something, lol. You checked into the Renn? Is that because of the shower updates?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robin and Stu checked in for 2 nights at the Ren Marina so they would have great parade viewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I am so confused and must have missed something, lol. You checked into the Renn? Is that because of the shower updates?
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    We want to watch the parade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grand Parade Sunday. We started the day at the Dutch Pancake House for some Poffertjes and then headed to Ocean Suites for the pool. We found a few chairs under the trees in the sand. Stu listened to music as I read. Around 12:30 we headed to It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere for lunch. They had Carnival(I can't remember what they called it) frozen Margarita-the ice was done in blue, yellow and red and it was good. They also had 2 for 1 beer, so hubby was happy. He had steak tacos and I had Tequenos. Both were great. The service was good too. It did take a while to get my margarita, but he said up front that it takes a while to make.

We headed back to our room about 130 and by that time you had to show your room key to get into the hotel. We showered and waited. We did not realize that they started the parade an hour later this year. The parade finally made it's way down just after 4 pm and then just stopped for about 15 minutes because one of the first vehicle in the parade-a flatbed with an SUV on it-had issues and could not move. It was so hot and humid that we would have to step off of the little balcony and back into the room. The copious amounts of rum I was drinking didn't help. Around 630 we stopped watching for awhile to cool off and get ready since we dinner reservations for 7:00 at Que Pasa?. The sun was starting to set. We watched from inside for a few minutes before leaving at 650. By the time we got outside and across square/plaza we realized the parade was over-tons of people with cooler, chairs, and children and cars trying to move away from the parade route. Stu said he saw the DOW trucks pick up the barriers.

Dinner was great. Stu had a pitcher of sangria(we brought some home) because there was no way I was drinking anymore alcohol. I had tenderloin with garlic sauce with a huge piece of blue cheese on top and plantains. Stu had their lamb dish with plantains. I couldn't finish my dinner. We watched the bumper to bumper traffic out of the window while we ate. The traffic did ease on the back streets but was still steady and slow on Smith when we got back around 8:30. Read and watched TV. I had a difficult time falling asleep-all that rum really messed with my acid reflux.

This morning we discovered someone cracked the mirror of the passenger side of the car in the parking lot. Someone had folded it in and when Stu pushed it out we saw a crack. I also notice a paint chip on that side. We headed to Linda's for breakfast only to find it closed. I guess they too are celebrating "National Hangover Day"(saw that sign in a shop's window yesterday). We ended up at ToF for some Dutch Pancakes and we happy with breakfast and service. We walked around for a few minutes. It seems like the Shalom Spa will be taking over the spot that housed the cuban restaurant. It said hair and nail bar, so I'm guessing they are expanding what they have adding to what they already have.

I'll add pictures and video from the parade to Google Pictures once I go through what I have.