This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report January 6-April 1, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Thursday I had an appointment for a mani and pedi at Indulgences by the Sea. I came home and ha breakfast. Since there was only one ship in I headed into town to find gifts for my friend's son and daughter aka my nephew and niece. I had wanted to get both kids, ages 15 and 11, baseball hats this year. I don't know how many stores I went into, but the only deep purple hats had bling all over them. I finally went back to a store that had a lavender hat for her and got him a red one. I do have to go back and get one for their dad since he is having the surgery in two weeks. I didn't think about it at the time, but he'll need one this summer even though he usually doesn't wear one. Headed home, had a quick lunch and did a few things until Stu was ready for the pool. Sat and read for awhile, and chatted with friends. The wind started to really pick up-sand flying by the pool, so I decided to head in. Dinner was leftovers and a quiet night of watching tv.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    robin do you think that the winds have been stronger than usual? or stronger than you experienced last year during your extended stay?
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    robin do you think that the winds have been stronger than usual? or stronger than you experienced last year during your extended stay?
    It don't think it is worse than in past years. We will get a few days in a row with really strong winds and usually cloudy and then it calms down again. You can't control the weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an appointment for color and highlights at Indulgences by the Sea. This is the first time I had highlights done here. At home my hairdresser does the color, highlights, and toner at once and it takes under two hours. Here they did in one at a time. I was there over 3 hours. Now I know what to expect. After lunch we headed to the pool. It was busier than usual, but the wind and sand were whipping today, so it wasn't surprising. It was cloudy and the breeze was cool. I think that today was the first time I ever felt cold(my bathing suit was wet) while outside here. We noticed flashing police lights when we went up near the exit from the beach parking. It looked like some had broken down, but it could have been an accident with police and other flashing lights. Made dinner and are just hanging out and reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday was a typical weekend day for us. It was still windy, but not as bad as Thursday and Friday. I went down to the pool around 10. Stu had planned to come with me, but a business email prompted a few phone calls and some work. He joined me around noon. We were there until about 5:00, just reading, talking, etc. I did go back up for lunch and to take care of laundry. Made a simple dinner of pasta and meat sauce and read the rest of the evening.

Sunday was another beautiful day and pretty much a repeat of Saturday other than Stu did not work. We did speak to a couple that has a Neso tent. We've seen a few of them this year, and it seems like a great alternative to fighting for a palapa. They said even in the strongest winds last week it was fine and it takes about 5 minutes to put up. https://www.neso.com/ Dinner was chili I had made earlier in the trip and had frozen. We talked to Stu's sister and I needed rum. Our older son and gf called right after we hung up with my sil and it was a fun conversation as always. I wish our younger son had time to call, but he is working 12 hr shifts and because they are short staffed he is working 21 days between March 4 and 27 from 6pm to 6am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Saturday was a typical weekend day for us. It was still windy, but not as bad as Thursday and Friday. I went down to the pool around 10. Stu had planned to come with me, but a business email prompted a few phone calls and some work. He joined me around noon. We were there until about 5:00, just reading, talking, etc. I did go back up for lunch and to take care of laundry. Made a simple dinner of pasta and meat sauce and read the rest of the evening.

Sunday was another beautiful day and pretty much a repeat of Saturday other than Stu did not work. We did speak to a couple that has a Neso tent. We've seen a few of them this year, and it seems like a great alternative to fighting for a palapa. They said even in the strongest winds last week it was fine and it takes about 5 minutes to put up. https://www.neso.com/ Dinner was chili I had made earlier in the trip and had frozen. We talked to Stu's sister and I needed rum. Our older son and gf called right after we hung up with my sil and it was a fun conversation as always. I wish our younger son had time to call, but he is working 12 hr shifts and because they are short staffed he is working 21 days between March 4 and 27 from 6pm to 6am.
    We've seen a few of those tents used on the beach. They do seem to fare well, even with strong gusts.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that Neso tent is as good as I have heard , it is a no brainer!!!

Did you see the people setting it up?

Robin ... so far so good here .
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the setup video and it appears really, really easy to set up and 5 min seems very reasonable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    If that Neso tent is as good as I have heard , it is a no brainer!!!

Did you see the people setting it up?

Robin ... so far so good here .

Post Thanks / Like
    Grocery shopping was a must today, so I was at SuperFoods before 9 am. I was quiet when I went in, but the parking lot was crazy when I was leaving. Stu had gone for a haircut and I got caught up on things here. I was sitting here watching the flags near Screaming Eagle flapping like crazy and the white caps rolling. Weather.com said the winds were between 25-35 miles an hour and I decided not to even bother heading to the pool. I knew the winds would drive people off of the beach. We had a call from the head of maintenance. Stu has been working with him and the Oceania property manager with an issue with the brackets that hold the glass panels of the balcony in place. Some units have glass dropping down to the floor of the balcony-this started last year. Stu had done some research at home, but need more info and needed help taking things apart. They figured out a few things, but still need to find out something. Basically, the brackets are good, but all the screws are rusting out. Last summer Stu had found a major supplier about 45 minutes from us at home which will probably a lot cheaper than on the island. The hope is they can figure out what is exactly needed and Stu and arrange a bulk price for the complex. After lunch, I decided to try to wash the cushions on our balcony chairs. Huge fail. I am going to buy new ones tomorrow. I had along conversation with my sweet neighbor at the condo complex I used to own at the shore by us. She lost her husband, a dear, sweet man, in November. I have not talked to her since he passed and she finally called me over the weekend. I was great to talk to her. Dinner was chicken piccata. Read and watched TV. Added some pictures to the photo. Off to bed now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was very windy and cloudy. I could see tons of white caps. I went out for new outdoor cushions and a few groceries I did not get yesterday. Lings has a contractor working to remodel the outside. I went home and basically did nothing other than sweep, annoy Stu, and playing on the computer. I just wasn't feeling well-something I ate I guess-until late afternoon. I made Keshi Yena for dinner. Stu is working now and I'm watching tv.