This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report January 6-April 1, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe travels. It hot, humid and sunny right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Cobb View Post
    Thank you for your trip report - we will be in Aruba in about 24 hours! Can't wait to see and feel the sun - nothing but grey days here in upstate NY.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't sleep so I figured I'd get back on the computer.

We went to Super Foods and Lings this afternoon. I like going in after lunch because it is usually quiet, and it was. Lings looks much nicer now-they've done a nice job with the remodel. We got some of what we needed. Tomorrow we will head to Price Smart and maybe DoIt depending on how Stu feels and if we can met up with our agent to pay our insurance. Stu is still coughing and he not a happy camper. Neither of us got much sleep last night. We decided to turn off the A/C tonight and open the doors. I think we are having issues with the thermostat again because it doesn't shut off. It's set to 25 which is 76 but using a regular weather thermometer it goes down to 71. I think people staying here may have had issues because it smells a bit musty. We will have them come out and check the thermostat and clean the vents. We are also going to look at getting a dehumidifier, but having figure out the logistics of where to put it when it is rented(so it can drain). I came up with an idea, but I don't know if it'll work. We will figure it out. After shopping, I worked on getting things done/organized/put away in the condo and Stu worked. After reading all the post about Local Store(which I love) and suggested it for dinner. It did not disappoint. I had the Black and Blue burger w/o bacon which was perfectly medium rare and the funchi fries which were nice and crisp and hubby had wings and some of my funchi fries. My taste buds and tummy were happy. The place was packed by the time we left. We came back and caught the US national news, did a few more things on the computer and around the condo and had some rum. My throat is getting scratchy(thank-you hubby) so maybe some more rum is in order.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Echinacea washed down with any booze will help! Repeat often.
    Glad to read that Local Store did not disappoint!
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday. We headed to Price Smart after breakfast in. The new highway is so quick and easy even with all the roundabouts. It is a different view of some of the places. Now to remember which roundabout is which when trying to navigate around the island. Did some shopping, but could not find everything we were looking for this week. It's been like that everywhere. We drove through town. There were two ships in and it was still easy to get through. Stopped in to pay our car insurance and found out that we can let our son drive for no added cost. Also, the government is replacing license plate every year, so we have pay our registration again in Jan. and wait for March to get our plates. I wonder what color they will be this year. We headed back home and unloaded. Stu went to work and I headed back out to find additional items we had not found or forgot-DoIt, SaveMore and Superfoods. Still missing an item, but I was hungry, tired and thirsty so I headed home to unload. Later in the afternoon I finally had a chance to walk around the property-they've added three new palapas by the pool on our side bringing the total to 7 and put 8 up on the other side where there weren't any. Stopped in the office and chatted for awhile and then spent the rest of the day in the condo-there is so much to do when we first get here. We had dinner on the balcony and watched the sunset. Stu worked in the evening and I worked on starting to see what I need to replace as far as towels. We did talk with our neighbor this week before dinner. His first question today: Do you really need to be at the airport 3 hours early? Then he said they dropped their daughter off at the airport and she would have missed her flight if someone did not let her in front of them. She was the last one to board the flight. Turns out she got there at only 1.5 hours before the flight because she only had carryon luggage and thought she'd be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    So happy to be reading the goings and comings of "daily living in Aruba".
    Thanks Sean abd Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night was another night of Stu coughing and neither of us sleeping. He finally, finally relented and I took him to the Urgent Care in Noord this afternoon after he conducted some business this morning while I ran an errand. He has pneumonia in one lung. Yes, he did have the shot but that only protects against one type of pneumonia which is pneumococcal, however, it probably lessened the severity of this one. He is now on an inhaler, antibiotic and a cough med. The cough med is something I've never heard of-it is effervescent tablet that you put in water and then drink. I was impressed with the doctor, who was very through and did not dismiss his other medical conditions. She checked each and every med to make sure it was safe for him to take. $150 for the doctor. Then we went to the pharmacy near us rather than near the Urgent Care incase there was a long wait. The three meds were $114. I don't know what it would have cost at home, but I think the inhaler he has would be about $200 at home without a prescription plan. While we were at the urgent care, I spoke to a woman in the waiting room while Stu was paying. Her and her husband were there before us and had come out before we went back and she was sitting there alone. He had walked to the pharmacy get her meds. They are on one of the cruise ships and she opted to get treated here rather than on the ship. They thought she'd get better care here.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW
    So glad that he got seen by a Dr.

I hope the medicine kicks in quickly so that everyone sleeps well tonight.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    WOW
    So glad that he got seen by a Dr.

I hope the medicine kicks in quickly so that everyone sleeps well tonight.
    I do too. He has been a mean grizzly bear.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, we all know about how "some" men get when they are ill...........even if it is a head cold.
    I am speaking from experience......married to one and gave birth to one.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I do too. He has been a mean grizzly bear.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Stu had a better night last night or I was just so tired I didn't hear him coughing.

It has been raining off and on this morning and I am deciding if I want to go to the pool or not. I started a Google Photo Album of the trip, and will put the link in my signature.