This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Hi Everybody!

Long time, no post! I’ve been off social media for quite some time now but thought I’d give an update on the state of the nation on island as we’ve been here since November 1st.

We made the decision in March/April of last year to bail on Canada and ride out the pandemic down here. So we booked our flight and started loading up on things we’d need (in particular, meds). Then Air Canada started canceling flights. We didn’t get out until November 1st.

The flight was “interesting”: everybody was nervous. We had both masks and face shields on and The Spouse was constantly dousing us in sanitizer. I’m pretty sure we killed every germ on that flight. We opted to test at AUA as we couldn’t get a guarantee of a test result in Toronto in time for the trip.

Going through customs was easy but then everybody was herded into a corner to line up for the testing. That wasn’t fun – no social distancing so it was a bit of a nail biter. But once out, we went straight to the house. The Neighbour had stocked us up with enough food and wine to make it through a few days while we waited for our results. By 8pm that night, we’d been notified that we were negative, and quarantine was over. We ordered in and started isolating in Aruba! I’ll give it to Aruba: for all the “challenges” the island has in normal times, they really got their act together on this to manage the hordes of travelers coming on island. I found it really disheartening when we’d see foreigners in the news breaking quarantine protocols for stupid things like groceries (see below), It’s a level of arrogance that’s a real turn off.

Speaking of groceries, one by-product of the pandemic is that it’s forced a lot of businesses down here to pivot to new service models including delivery, curbside pick-up and online shopping. It made isolating a lot easier with those aspects available. We bought a tv and it was delivered two hours later – beat that Amazon!!

So, what have we been doing? The Spouse is working so that accounts for forty to fifty hours per week communicating with Toronto. I recently retired so I’ve been mastering artisanal bread making and pizza dough. A boy needs a hobby! I do a 7-10km walk each morning – usually to the lighthouse and back. Chores, meals, dinner with lots and lots of wine. Rinse. Repeat. On the weekends, we’re out at the pool debating the best time for margaritas. Let’s face it: any time is margarita time. Of note: on my morning walks, I’ll be surprised if I see three or four people; in “normal” times, I’ll see dozens of people. The island is a bit like a paradise ghost town. A little creepy at times but nice from a safety standpoint.

So, we’re locked down: we weren’t going to take any risks and that includes going out to restaurants. But my cooking skills have moved up quite a few notches and we’re happy to be healthy and safe and in the warm weather. We’re having work done around the house and we finally got rid of “count down panic”.

We’re probably here until May/June depending on whether Canada gets its act together.

I hope you're all well, healthy and safe and look forward to getting back to 'normal" sometime in the future!

Take care.
    0 7

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thrilled to see your posting.

Even more thrilled to read that you are both well and surviving nicely.

So, if I read correctly, you have not been to any restaurants for in and or outdoor dining?

Enjoy your time there and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Hi Everybody!

Long time, no post! I’ve been off social media for quite some time now but thought I’d give an update on the state of the nation on island as we’ve been here since November 1st.

We made the decision in March/April of last year to bail on Canada and ride out the pandemic down here. So we booked our flight and started loading up on things we’d need (in particular, meds). Then Air Canada started canceling flights. We didn’t get out until November 1st.

The flight was “interesting”: everybody was nervous. We had both masks and face shields on and The Spouse was constantly dousing us in sanitizer. I’m pretty sure we killed every germ on that flight. We opted to test at AUA as we couldn’t get a guarantee of a test result in Toronto in time for the trip.

Going through customs was easy but then everybody was herded into a corner to line up for the testing. That wasn’t fun – no social distancing so it was a bit of a nail biter. But once out, we went straight to the house. The Neighbour had stocked us up with enough food and wine to make it through a few days while we waited for our results. By 8pm that night, we’d been notified that we were negative, and quarantine was over. We ordered in and started isolating in Aruba! I’ll give it to Aruba: for all the “challenges” the island has in normal times, they really got their act together on this to manage the hordes of travelers coming on island. I found it really disheartening when we’d see foreigners in the news breaking quarantine protocols for stupid things like groceries (see below), It’s a level of arrogance that’s a real turn off.

Speaking of groceries, one by-product of the pandemic is that it’s forced a lot of businesses down here to pivot to new service models including delivery, curbside pick-up and online shopping. It made isolating a lot easier with those aspects available. We bought a tv and it was delivered two hours later – beat that Amazon!!

So, what have we been doing? The Spouse is working so that accounts for forty to fifty hours per week communicating with Toronto. I recently retired so I’ve been mastering artisanal bread making and pizza dough. A boy needs a hobby! I do a 7-10km walk each morning – usually to the lighthouse and back. Chores, meals, dinner with lots and lots of wine. Rinse. Repeat. On the weekends, we’re out at the pool debating the best time for margaritas. Let’s face it: any time is margarita time. Of note: on my morning walks, I’ll be surprised if I see three or four people; in “normal” times, I’ll see dozens of people. The island is a bit like a paradise ghost town. A little creepy at times but nice from a safety standpoint.

So, we’re locked down: we weren’t going to take any risks and that includes going out to restaurants. But my cooking skills have moved up quite a few notches and we’re happy to be healthy and safe and in the warm weather. We’re having work done around the house and we finally got rid of “count down panic”.

We’re probably here until May/June depending on whether Canada gets its act together.

I hope you're all well, healthy and safe and look forward to getting back to 'normal" sometime in the future!

Take care.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Andrea! Nice to hear from you. We're taking as few risks as possible as I'm a type 1 diabetic and don't want to deal with the nightmare of COVID plus that. So, sadly, we're not dining out. But we're ordering in like crazy! Our only exposure is grocery and hardware stores. Boring, I know, but safe. We're keeping the economy alive through online ordering with vendors that have it down here. Sadly, our favourite, Wilhelmina, hasn't pivoted their model for delivery. We miss it terribly. And Fred's. And Two Fools. And Matthew's... and... and... and....
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-24-2021 at 08:48 AM.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    omg I edited your posting in error by adding my comment.

I hit Edit instead of Quote.

sorry

I said ...I hear ya and agree.
    you are doing everything correctly.
    I forget what "normal " is.

we go for our 2nd dose of vaccine today!
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I hear ya!!

Do you ever have a difficult time remembering what "normal" was?

We go for our 2nd dose of vaccine in 4 hrs!!

Hey Andrea! Nice to hear from you. We're taking as few risks as possible as I'm a type 1 diabetic and don't want to deal with the nightmare of COVID plus that. So, sadly, we're not dining out. But we're ordering in like crazy! Our only exposure is grocery and hardware stores. Boring, I know, but safe. We're keeping the economy alive through online ordering with vendors that have it down here. Sadly, our favourite, Wilhelmina, hasn't pivoted their model for delivery. We miss it terribly. And Fred's. And Two Fools. And Matthew's... and... and... and....
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s so nice to see you posting. Self-isolating in Aruba sounds so much more pleasant than here in the Boston area

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    <<irritating voice>> "Cold enough for ya?!?"

Ugh... Do. Not. Miss. Winter.
    0 2

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    I opened this forum page this morning and was so delighted to see a post from you! How great that you guys got to spend this horrible winter in Aruba! We were supposed to be there this month and I've been a little grumpy. We get our second shots next week and hope to be there in a few months. Morning walks around the island sound like heaven.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see you back! Glad Aruba is keeping you both safe and sound. Look forward to hearing from you
    Trip 32 begins on June 5.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back to the forum! It's nice to you are here in Aruba. It is so much safer than at home. We've been here since mid Dec.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So nice to read yet another trip report. I love reading them.
    1 0