This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. I tried growing some herbs a few years ago in pots on my deck. The ones the squirrels did not destroy were nice to have. I have since given up on even flowers in pots because the squirrels dig them out.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    From HGTV to Locked Up Abroad, a man of such range.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Stop! Thief!

I headed to Superfood because tomorrow is a holiday and god forbid we run out of wine or mustard soup. SF has these cart thingies (technical term) where you can put heavy items on the bottom underneath the child seat. So I plunk down a six-pack of sparkling water (you know where this is headed). Normally, I would put the water in the main cart area but it was a heavy shop so I needed the extra capacity. Nice time at the cashier, exchanged pleasantries, and make my way to the dreaded revolving door (which was wide open, thank god) but before I can exit, a security guard stops me and points at the sparkling water. "Oops." Back in I go, mortified. But then I remembered: I just spent $190 USD on groceries, was I going to risk criminal charges over a six-pack of Jumbo sparkling??

This update is being written from Aruba's central prison. Send help! I'm too pretty!

Heh. Good times.

With my notorious ways behind me, I headed back to The Manse and to tell The Spouse my tale of criminal activity. He loses interest very quickly and says, "Next time: stick the wine down there." Good thinking, Al Capone...

Other than that riveting tale, it's been pretty quiet around the homestead as it was overcast for most of yesterday (television and reading) and, today, I went for a 10km walk to the lighthouse and back. Saw four people: we all socially distanced by running blindly into traffic. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants? "He died avoiding COVID..."

The cell block guard is telling me to wrap it up. He doesn't know that I've made a shiv out of the sparkling water bottle.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Tracey what an interesting show that would be!
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Aruba Wishlist:

- Easy access to Nespresso Vertuo coffee capsules, '00' flour and San Marzano tomatoes
    - The prosecution of cyclists and drivers who don't yield to pedestrians
    - Oh yeah... an end to the pandemic

It's hard to reconcile how beautiful the island is right now against the looming spectre of COVID. "Everything is so sunny! Don't breathe near me!"

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-1sunset-jpgTwo Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-lighthousetoday-jpg

Listening to the news in Canada, we're just glad to NOT be there and relieved to be on island and able to walk around with very little fear. I'm hoping those vaccine shipments start to speed up so Aruba (and the world) can start to move forward. The variants are throwing a wrench in everything. Faster! FASTER!!!

Being down here for potentially even more time than we expected has taken me to some interesting places to find things like... insulin pump supplies - surprisingly, not the pharmacy... a trading company that imports them specifically for the two Type 1 diabetic insulin pump users! https://www.martijn-trading.com and I've been stalking another importer for '00' flour - Caribbean Overseas... https://www.caribbeanoverseas.com/in...p?page=default no luck yet but, as with all things in Aruba, perseverance is the order of the day.

I wonder if Aruba could make a go of vaccine production...? Hmmmm.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen Nespresso stuff at Lings on an end cap, but I don't know what type. I don't drink coffee, so I don't pay attention.

I have passed this place: https://www.caribbeanbakerysupplies.com/ and don't know if they would have the flour you want.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I've seen Nespresso stuff at Lings on an end cap, but I don't know what type. I don't drink coffee, so I don't pay attention.

I have passed this place: https://www.caribbeanbakerysupplies.com/ and don't know if they would have the flour you want.

Hi Robin:

Thanks. Yeah, Ling's sells the version we DON'T have (the original Nespresso). Unfortunately, it looks like the Vertuo line is exclusive to North America so I don't think we'll see those capsules here anytime soon. Ironically, we have an original Nespresso sitting at home in Canada collecting dust. Sigh.

I've been to CBS... for the most part, they're predominantly equipment; side note: Arubans are SERIOUS about their cake making. I'd gone in looking for bannetons for bread with no luck.

But thanks anyway!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave The Spouse a leaf blower/mulcher (to clean around the pool) for his 50th... oh and a choice of two pretty fantastic post-pandemic trips (Loire Valley or New Zealand). I can't confirm it but I think the mulching feature is the highlight of his half century. We're all still that toddler playing with the box rather than the toy apparently.

Given the numbers shown in the latest press conference and just an undercurrent of anxiety, we're getting stricter about isolation: one grocery/wine run per week and I've promised to cross to the other side of the road if I see someone coming in the distance on the morning walks. It's not hard: I saw two people on this morning's 7K. The island is definitely feeling "tighter"...

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-7k-jpg

The "go to" reaction to anxiety is comfort food: I made "Shake 'N Bake", extremely fattening "Cheesy Potatoes" and sweet corn for dinner. No judgements!

Still no word on a vaccine appointment yet. We're thinking April at the earliest.

For "sanity", I'm cutting down on the number of news podcasts I listen to on the morning walks and trying to focus more on levity. There's a great podcast called, "Dead Eyes" - it's a real life story about an actor who was dropped from "Band of Brothers" after being cast. The reason, he's been told, was that Tom Hanks thought he had "dead eyes". It's pretty funny the lengths the guy will go to try and confirm if that was the real reason.

Today will consist of house -> pool, pool --> house and no variation from that. Self-imposed lockdown. Doing our part!!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know, that mulcher would be hard to beat. I just gifted Tom with a rototiller. He seemed pleased!

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    The Dutch Neighbour (who works in media) was keeping us apprised in real-time of the new restrictions while watching the government's news conference. I was actually surprised they didn't lock everything down completely but understand the desperation the island is in. A New Zealand-like model isn't really within their grasp given the dire circumstances they're in fiscally.

We consider ourselves VERY lucky to be here. If Aruba had gone the New Zealand route, we wouldn't have made it down especially coupled with the restrictions Canada put in place after we left in November.

So... we don't criticize the Aruban government for trying to balance public health against business/tourism interests.

I do worry that, try as they might, there's going to be another wave and they may need to lock the island down completely again. The vaccines aren't coming fast enough so it'll be a race against the clock (i.e. virus) going forward. The reality is that they don't have the capacity to take on critical care/ICU cases and they only way out of this is stricter measures and vaccinating as rapidly as they can.

While people may not agree with the strategy or think it doesn't make sense, the reality is that nobody can look at their home country and say, "Ahhh we did it perfectly!"... unless they're a Kiwi.

As for numbers, percentages, etc. we don't care: it only takes one person to trigger exponential growth and transmission:

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-covid-jpg

So we sit and wait and hope for the best. The island is our second home and we'll do whatever it takes to help them get back to "normal".
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    With Aruba’s new restrictions, I was surprised that the rules were different for tourists vs residents. I suppose it could be because tourists need a negative test to enter Aruba? It has to be tremendously difficult for the government to decide what the best approach is.

0 2