This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I'm a sucker for a big-mac. Stephen, two all beef patties or a nice, med-rare single? Side note, you can get special sauce on any item, just ask...
    Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-burger-jpg

That bowl in the upper right is the homemade Big Mac sauce aka heart attack in a spoon.

Oink.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Rinse, Repeat

We headed back to the Aruba Post office as our registered mail arrived. We needed to get letters confirming that we don't have criminal records. There's that brief moment when you're opening the envelopes and you side-eye your spouse and think, "Hmmm... is this like the Lifetime movie where I discover the past isn't really all truth"? I kept waiting for Victoria Principal to break in, point a gun and scream, "FOR MY HUSBAND!!!"

Annnnnd scene.

The variants have definitely upped the ante on avoiding people on the morning walk. It's a twisted ballet of everybody running to opposite sides of the street. Oh well... hopefully this will all end soon. Relatively soon. Momentarily. Within a reasonable timeframe. ANY TIME NOW, PFIZER!!

I went a little carb crazy yesterday and baked bread and pizza... this might just be pandemic jitters or I'm taunting the Keto Crowd. Both? We gave one loaf to the American Friends.

Me: "Hey! I'm baking bread today...would you like a loaf?"
    American Friends: "Always. Don't even ask."

I swing by their house and hurl it out of the car like a low-level cocaine run. "No, officer, really... it's just bread. Can I bake you a loaf?"

The Drug Bag:

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-bread-jpg

Carb Nation!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    I do hope you get your vaccinations soon. It really is liberating. In the meantime, cooking helps. The bread you have been making looks amazing. Do you think you’ll continue baking once you can run free?

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    loving your writings!

bread looks fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post

I swing by their house and hurl it out of the car like a low-level cocaine run. "No, officer, really... it's just bread. Can I bake you a loaf?"

The Drug Bag:

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-bread-jpg

Carb Nation!
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I do hope you get your vaccinations soon. It really is liberating. In the meantime, cooking helps. The bread you have been making looks amazing. Do you think you’ll continue baking once you can run free?
    Thanks, Peg. Fingers crossed.

I think I will continue with bread and pizza. I bought store-made bread the other day and it just didn't compare. Definitely worth the effort.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Peg. Fingers crossed.

I think I will continue with bread and pizza. I bought store-made bread the other day and it just didn't compare. Definitely worth the effort.

Have you tried making cardamon bread! It’s one of my favorites and a little bit of work because you braid it. This bread freezes well but I also like it when it’s a couple of days old and you slather it with butter and grill it. Top with strawberry jam and it is wonderful.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    B-I-N-G-O

A new experience: we had to get photos taken for our visa application so we asked our consultant where is the best place to go. He recommended CheckPoint Colour which is located downtown. So we hop into the car and fire up Google Maps and head down. Ugh. Google put us on the trolley street (Main) which is a one-way and we were definitely heading the wrong way. If this had been regular high season, the ending would not have been good. We high-tailed it outta there and headed up to "4D Photo Bar" near the house and a very nice guy helped us out. Lots of social distancing and people lined up outside the store. Perfect.

https://4dphotobar.com/

Interesting moment with The Photographer: we got to chatting about COVID (like there's anything else to talk about) and asked him if he'd been vaccinated yet. He hadn't and said, "I should check the app." He did - his appointment was scheduled for that very night at 6:30. I guess you could say I'm now a Hero of the Pandemic. The other thing we learned is that he's in his twenties so they must be getting through the locals rapidly now. There were 30,000 Pfizer doses brought in this week (up from the usual 10,000+) so we may be getting close. But balance that against the ICU numbers and it's a crazy race against time.

After the excitement of a real-world activity, we headed to the pool and then we opted to order in and got Bingo to deliver a great meal: The Spouse had a chicken and ham giant egg roll and I had coconut shrimp and the three seafood main. It was all delicious and hot when it arrived. Loving Bingo lately.

I've forgotten the photographer's name.

Sorry - "name-o".

Heh.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Walk Fun

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-tingwei-jpg

I made The Spouse go in to pick up Covid... I mean, clothes pins.

We schlepped around the neighbourhood for a walk and to get "somebody" some exercise because they aren't sleeping well. Ahem. Guess being chained to a computer screen for the work week isn't all that healthy.

Yesterday, we had a visit from Patty Paloma and her friend, Lord Hand Blender. They stayed for some time but not long enough to overstay their welcome. There's nothing worse than a hang over after the age of fifty. Caution, children!

A productive day of floating in the pool and asking life's larger questions:

"What do you miss from Canada?" (Nothing except one particular All-Clad pan)
    "Who do we know that we're surprised they DIDN'T get Covid?" (Ranked list)
    "What constitutes 'hot' now?" (Above 32C)
    "Who should be on the first dinner party guest list?" (Anyone who's willing to eat like a lunatic with no holds barred)
    "Are there volcanoes close enough to worry about?" (Yes but Patty Paloma took care of that angst)

So, yeah, a very productive day.

I have the tan of a lifetime. I make sure to light it properly on Zoom calls back to Canada. Just because.
    Last edited by act1966; 04-18-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Be Bold in All Things
    1 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we too have the list of "surprised they have not caught covid.....YET!" they will.

and "just because" is the perfect answer.

Walk Fun

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-tingwei-jpg

I made The Spouse go in to pick up Covid... I mean, clothes pins.

We schlepped around the neighbourhood for a walk and to get "somebody" some exercise because they aren't sleeping well. Ahem. Guess being chained to a computer screen for the work week isn't all that healthy.

Yesterday, we had a visit from Patty Paloma and her friend, Lord Hand Blender. They stayed for some time but not long enough to overstay their welcome. There's nothing worse than a hang over after the age of fifty. Caution, children!

A productive day of floating in the pool and asking life's larger questions:

"What do you miss from Canada?" (Nothing except one particular All-Clad pan)
    "Who do we know that we're surprised they DIDN'T get Covid?" (Ranked list)
    "What constitutes 'hot' now?" (Above 32C)
    "Who should be on the first dinner party guest list?" (Anyone who's willing to eat like a lunatic with no holds barred)
    "Are there volcanoes close enough to worry about?" (Yes but Patty Paloma took care of that angst)

So, yeah, a very productive day.

I have the tan of a lifetime. I make sure to light it properly on Zoom calls back to Canada. Just because.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Flora and Fauna

Found this in the back lot:

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_4417-jpg

Per Google, it's a "mossy passionflower". It has a Venus flytrap vibe, no?

And we finally have one pepper!

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_4420-jpg

We've been having issues with Aruban pigeons trying to nest in our roof - you can tell they're Aruban because they coo in Papiamento. Nothing a good spray of the garden hose can't take care of. No animals died in the making of this water fight.

Vaccine Watch 2021 continues....
    0 5