This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hey act/Stephen.......you have been on island now for about 5 or 6 months.
    how does Canada/Aruba handle your extended stay?
    did you have to go to immigration to sate your case about being here for a really extended time?
    I had a conversation with a lady in the ocean yesterday that insists after 180 days the Canadians have to leave if they do not hold residency here.
    I told her that I believed that in these tough covid times that hitting the road for Canada or wherever home base may be, is not all that black and white.
    It's a little complicated to discuss in the forum. We're in the process of getting residency.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like

Responding

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hey act/Stephen.......you have been on island now for about 5 or 6 months.
    how does Canada/Aruba handle your extended stay?
    did you have to go to immigration to sate your case about being here for a really extended time?
    I had a conversation with a lady in the ocean yesterday that insists after 180 days the Canadians have to leave if they do not hold residency here.
    I told her that I believed that in these tough covid times that hitting the road for Canada or wherever home base may be, is not all that black and white.
    Hi Andrea

We have been here well over the 180 day restriction. In our case the airline cancelled 3 times and rescheduled new flights approx a month apart. In addition Aruba closed its border during this time. After the 3rd rescheduled flight was cancelled, the airline told us we had hit the maximum times they could reschedule the existing booking. They then cancelled us completely. We were forced to rebook a new reservation which was then cancelled again. Bothe Westjet and Air Canada suspended flights to sun destinations as per a Canadian Govt request, then decided that they themselves would suspend services to Aruba based on low passenger demand. Westjet are scheduled to start up again November 5th and Air Canada are looking at possibly restarting in mid September.

We advised the govt here and their response was 'In view of Covid and all the disruptions that have made your stay involuntary, all rule enforcement is out the window, as long as you have proof from the airline of the cancellations.' They also stated that the length of the overstay is affected by the resetting of the calendar for the 180 day stay each January 1.

We are advised to get a letter to this effect before leaving the island, as overstayers can be refused re-entry at a future date.

In terms of Canada, certain health care provisions can be extended providing the appropriate paperwork is completed. I am not sure if it is the same for all provinces and I only know it to be the case for Ontario.

In addition, the interprovincial borders were closed, meaning even if we could get back via US we would not be able to easlily return to our summer accomodation. With our animals and other factors traveling via the US was not an option.

That is what we have found out.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting your experience with the process.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I lifted this from Walt's trip report so as not to hijack his thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I've ever checked a weather report for Aruba while I'm there. The weather is always so consistent (and great) there is no need to. ACT, how do you mean the weather has been "weird"?
    Weirdness

7 am this morning: some light rain and dodgy looking clouds... this was along my route to the lighthouse around Gold Coast and Catalina...

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_2975-jpgTwo Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_2982-jpgTwo Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_2983-jpgTwo Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_2984-jpgTwo Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-img_2985-jpg
    2 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda neat looking. As long as no torrential rain or COLD weather, doesn't seem too bad. Do you walk to the Lighthouse some mornings? very nice route as a morning routine. Thanks for posting!
    Brian
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    Kinda neat looking. As long as no torrential rain or COLD weather, doesn't seem too bad. Do you walk to the Lighthouse some mornings? very nice route as a morning routine. Thanks for posting!
    Brian
    Yeah... the sun peeking through the clouds makes for some spectacular shots. Especially early in the morning and evening.

I tend to do the full walk to the lighthouse and back every other day - it's about 10 km (6 miles) round trip. Other days, I'll walk over to the sea and then head south toward the Ritz and cut back over to the centre from there which is about 7 km. I'll run sometimes but that's a mood thing.

You're welcome! Thanks for reading!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    You Brought 'Er, You Pfizer

The Dutch Neighbour gave us info from the now infamous Fresh FM repository of info that it's open season on the second dose of Pfizer and we can now walk in after the three week mark has been passed from the first dose. Then this appeared on the Aruban government site:

For the first vaccine, there is no longer the need for an appointment, and individuals can walk in and receive their vaccine in one of the two locations. The second vaccine should be administered 3 weeks after receiving the first vaccine and one can receive this second dose by simply walking in at the locations.

https://www.government.aw/news/news_...021_56570.html

So. It's. Happening. This. Friday.

Incredibly thankful to the Aruban government who viewed this as a humanitarian effort.

We'll hunker down for the weekend in case there are any side effects. Nothing a float and a visit from LM won't cure.

Exciting!!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a wonderful feeling of freedom after getting the second shot. Yes, you have to wait 2 weeks which seems like an eternity, but it's worth it. A week after we had the second shot we attended an outside baby shower/bbq for our friend's daughter and since everyone was vaccinated we got to hug(I read that one week after the second shot it is more than 90% effective). Saturday was two weeks for us and we went out to dinner inside a restaurant. Going out for lunch today, too.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    It is a wonderful feeling of freedom after getting the second shot. Yes, you have to wait 2 weeks which seems like an eternity, but it's worth it. A week after we had the second shot we attended an outside baby shower/bbq for our friend's daughter and since everyone was vaccinated we got to hug(I read that one week after the second shot it is more than 90% effective). Saturday was two weeks for us and we went out to dinner inside a restaurant. Going out for lunch today, too.
    I'll bet! Already booking reservations to "eat the island"!
    0 1