This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the freedom...it is a wonderful thing! Where in Canada do you live? My sister lives in Burlington....my nephew in Ottawa.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by annf View Post
    Enjoy the freedom...it is a wonderful thing! Where in Canada do you live? My sister lives in Burlington....my nephew in Ottawa.
    Thanks! We're from Toronto.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It feels weird going out again. it took me a couple weeks to feel like it was okay to be out again.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So, how was it?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    thanks! We're from toronto.

i love toronto!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    They may be in a food coma

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    They may be in a food coma
    Zzzzzz. More later...
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Toronto is a great city. We have made many trips into the city when visiting my sister! Anxiously awaiting your 'food report'!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Iron Chef, Iron Diners

You know the evening is starting with a bang when you hear a gaggle say, "Yeah... we'd like a table where we don't have to look at a wall..." and you're dining in a courtyard.

And so it began: the vaccinated return to our island favourite, "Wilhelmina"!

The night started with a pick up by our trusty driver, Jerry, who we handn't seen since arriving in November. That was the first indication that things had changed: we tentatively fist-bumped and then everybody grabbed hand sanitizer (he has a bottle in the car) and laughed at how paranoid we all stlll are.

A quick zip downtown and arrival at the restaurant. Dennis (chef/owner), in normal times, runs four restaurants at that location (for the uninitiated): "Maroc", "La Trattoria", "Wilhelmina" and the infamous "Carte Blanche". I've written about all of these in the past and I'll review last night's "Wilhelmina" experience in the Culinary forum.

We walked in and could immediately tell things were different: the "Carte Blanche" section is now a service hub so there wasn't the usual boisterous crowd or bright lights illuminating the festivities. Trattoria and Maroc are closed for the duration (while Dennis decides what he's going to do with them for the future - some of the Trattoria menus is available in Wilhelmina). Much to our delight though, the senior staff are all still there: Miriam, Sondra, Glen and, of course, Dennis. Many greetings and quick catch ups and then out to the modified courtyard that was smaller when we last visited (ugh February 2020). Dennis expanded into the larger area and created a grotto on the west-side where they now hold Carte Blanche outdoors on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. They tucked us away in a beautiful leafy corner (I think Sondra could tell The Spouse had a little trepidation while I was barreling through to see what had changed).

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-0a22ccca-2543-4741-8b41-624a61c6c336-jpgTwo Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-94da72ec-7f64-4159-af61-0cd5afe5b0ea-jpg

We had celebratory "cack-tails" to commemorate the return and leapt right into appetizers and dinners. The amuse bouche of soup shots and bitteballen remains (thank god or The Spouse would've had a nervous breakdown) and capped off the night with a Dame Blanche dessert.

Chatted with two couples from New York that were interested in learning more about buying a house on the island and costs. Anyone who knows New York City knows that everything is a bargain relative to Manhattan. No sticker shock there.

Talked to Glen and Dennis about getting in at "Carte Blanche" (they're sold out for the next few weeks) and we may make it in if there's a cancellation.

And, with that, the seal is broken! We're absolutely thrilled that Dennis and the staff had the resilience to make it through this insane sixteen months and we hope everyone will consider supporting them as they get back to full capacity.
    1 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Cancel Culture

We lucked into a cancellation at "Carte Blanche"( https://www.carteblanchearuba.com ) last night. They've moved the setting out of the main building and into the courtyard. It's actually great in that you can see everybody around the table (as opposed to the semi-circle set up inside). You don't get to see Dennis cook though as he's tucked into a corner just off the courtyard. Bummer. But he made an appearance at every course to explain what we were dining on. The meal was fantastic (more in Culinary). Glen is still front-of-house and kept the evening (and booze) flowing.

It was us and fourteen Americans - so the ratio fit the geo-political skew.

I wine-paired and The Spouse did not. Wise, Spouse. Wise.

Even though it was cloudy, it was a beautiful night with a nice breeze and great conversations. Surprisingly, there wasn't a lot of talk about vaccines and COVID so that was a relief. Everybody is done with this pandemic.

It's been a little cloudy for the last couple of days but no real rain to speak of. The Spouse is not happy as he's on vacation right now. Oh well... given that it snowed in Canada last week, enjoy the heat, Spouse.
    Last edited by act1966; 06-03-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Close Those Brackets You Monster
    1 1