This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt and Pam 2020!

Post Thanks / Like
    This was the first time we went by that they were open.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    when we went by yesterday it was open as well.
    Bri went there for lunch and really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    This was the first time we went by that they were open.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Are any of you planning on dinner at Bavaria German this trip? Or is that only in May when it's white asparagus season?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    White asparagus season is only in May. It’s one of the reasons I really enjoy going at that time of the year. Well, that and it’s a nice way to spend our anniversary. I would still go to Bavaria at any time of the year though.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Your days sound amazing. So how do you get to The Pub? We have never been there and would love to try.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pub is in South Beach Plaza, tucked back beside Hooters.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you and Pam are enjoying the island.
    Thanks for sharing.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to The Bulldog this evening on our way to Moomba. The Bulldog Amsterdam has quite the storied history, you can use the Google tool to find out more. We had drinks and bought some t-shirts. Got to Moomba and had a couple before heading back to Ocean Club. We spoke with a gentleman we had seen on several occasions on past trips there. He is a retired State Trooper from Massachusetts, come to find out like us he usually visits at the end of April but decided to come down now since he missed his trip earlier this year. It was pretty dead at Moomba, but we kind of like it that way. No waiting for a seat at the bar, no waiting for service, no cigarette smoke from the person next to you... We usually come right after the high season at the beginning of low season. This trip is like low season on steroids. I know the locals are hurting, but it's really nice with the island being so quiet.

0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Walt - I completely agree with your comments about the unique and pleasing "emptiness" of Aruba (I laughed at your comment about it being like low season on steroids). I think Aruba Bob was one of the first forum members to make the observation that visiting Aruba now is like entering a time machine and returning to a time (like the 1970s) when tourism to Aruba hadn't boomed yet. That comment had peaked our interest and my husband and I first returned to the island this year in September. As we were enjoying our FRONT ROW palapas every day on the beach, we'd pretend that we had just arrived on a row boat on a deserted island in paradise. We'd look to the left down the gorgeous stretch of sandy beach, and see no people. Then, we'd look to the right out across the turquoise water and see a few sailboats and seagulls. Then we'd look behind us to marvel at the fact that we'd scored a front row palapa (for free) - that was a first in the 15 years that we've owned at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club. And then, off in the distance along the beach, we'd see the Marriott waiter slowly walking towards us with a tray holding our "2 for 1" happy hour Slippery Monkeys .... and they were the only two drinks on his tray! We laughed and said it was better than a deserted island because the island of Aruba had a waiter, with a welcoming smile, bringing us drinks on the beach! Overall we missed the amount of people and socialization we normally have on our vacations, however, that was offset by the wonderful time we spent together (so relaxing - and even romantic) and we marveled at the fact this would likely be our only time to ever experience Aruba in this way in our lifetimes.
    Last edited by SkiChris; 12-03-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree it probably is a once in a lifetime thing considering the lack of crowds. Today we spent the morning and early afternoon with Paul and Andrea at Reflexions. It was our first time there. What a nice place, right on the water with loungers and covers and an umbrella. Now the best part was when we got there we were the only 4 people on the entire beach and in the water. We had a nice lunch with great company for a very reasonable price. We also met George (Jorge) the owner. He came up to the table to see Andrea and welcomed us to his place. A super guy, he told us he has a new restaurant called Ceviche's at Caribbean Palm Village. It has been added to the list. Afterwards we got back to Ocean Club, had a beverage at the pool bar, walked over to Flip Flop Beach Bar and had a couple more and are back in the room. We are waiting for laundry to finish before going to dinner. Not sure where that will be yet, but we have a couple of places in mind.

0 3