This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt and Pam in Aruba 2021

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Walt and Pam in Aruba 2021-screen-shot-2021-05-10-7-40-49-am-jpg

radar looks good.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, the games continue!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It's overcast in Noord and was raining an hour ago.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post

We sat and looked at the water and the dark ominous clouds to the south. It sprinkled very lightly for a few minutes, but by then we were floating in the sea.

It was sprinkling lightly when we headed over but by the time we were passing Moomba it really started raining. Like a hard driving, sideways rain. We were soaked to the bone, the wind was howling and the temperature dropped 10 degrees. We were huddled with our drinks under the beach bar roof with the bartenders and beach servers and our friends Steve and Abby. The rain slowed down to a drizzle

We walked in the sprinkles to Moomba for a couple and walked home in the rain. This morning it is still cloudy and everything still looks wet.
    It's definitely been a weird period for weather in Aruba.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Did your "Fresh" friend give you a weather update?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I've ever checked a weather report for Aruba while I'm there. The weather is always so consistent (and great) there is no need to. ACT, how do you mean the weather has been "weird"?
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Torrential rain is weird for Aruba...

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Did your "Fresh" friend give you a weather update?
    Give that man a kewpie doll! They did - I get a lot of information from The Dutch Neighbour and Fresh FM... good resource! The link isn't working because it's from The Face Place and I'm not a member... but here's the text from The Caribbean Weather Center:

The disturbance that is expected to affect the local islands in the next 24 to 36 hours is currently located over the southeastern Caribbean and is leading to heavy rain and thunderstorms over mostly the island of Tobago right now. The activity is expected to move west and shower activity is expected to increase by tonight across the local region. There is also the possibility of thunderstorms. The activity will continue thru midday and then possibly subside (decrease) in the afternoon and again increase on Sunday night till early Monday. Strong winds can be reported during the passage of these showers and or thunderstorms. Also as heavy rain is possible, significant amounts of precipitation could be reported and lead to localized flooding over the prone areas. As shower activity is expected and the skies will be mostly cloudy, temperatures will drop and be around the 29 degrees Celsius / 84 degrees Fahrenheit as a maximum and 23 degrees Celsius / 73 degrees Fahrenheit as a minimum. Winds will be moderate to strong (15 to 20 knots with gusts up to 28 knots mostly in and around showers) from the east.

And here's the link for people on FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/14046686275...227238770/?d=n
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I've ever checked a weather report for Aruba while I'm there. The weather is always so consistent (and great) there is no need to. ACT, how do you mean the weather has been "weird"?
    We've seen more rain in the last few months than in our previous trips - we're the same: never really looked at weather reports over the years. But one thing we've noticed that's shifted is morning rain. For many previous trips, I'd wake up to rain on the roof from 3:00-5:00 am (if any) but now it seems to be later... sometimes as late as 7:00 am. And I can count on one hand the number of times we've been caught in a sudden downpour over the years. There have been numerous incidents of that this trip.

A number of people (locals) have told us there are a few reasons:

- Sahara dust (yes, it's a real thing LOL)
    - El Nina
    - Climate change
    - God's vengeance

Take your pick!

Oh good... the clouds look like they're breaking up in Noord right now (9:26 am).
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 18. After breakfast in the room, we got down to the beach. We shared our palapa with our new friend Kathryn and and floated around most of the day. Somehow we didn't really eat lunch, so at dinner time we decided to go to Bochincha Container Yard. What a fun place. This is exactly what the downtown area needed. Several different and diverse restaurants and menus in one place all circled around a central bar. Pam had Dynamite Cheese Sticks and Lumpiang Shanghai from Sizzles and I had the Kofta Platter from Sultan's. Pam's meal was just the right amount and my platter was way more than I could eat. With a couple of drinks our tab was around $30. It is easy to get to this place and there is ample parking. We left and headed to Moomba to say goodbye to our friend Matt from Boston and took advantage of the extended curfew. Arriving back at HI we saw a couple in a tux and beautiful wedding dress at the Palm Bar. We stopped and congratulated them and had a couple more drinks. The bar didn't close until midnight, so we almost had a pre-covid late night in Aruba. This morning the sun is out in full force and we will be on the beach shortly.

0 2