This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timeshare Investment

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a timeshare, after market in the Poconos, it was on the Interval exchange program. I did have maintenance fees, member fees to Interval and exchange fees, with all of that I exchanged to La Cabana twice, the Surf Club once (ocean front!) and Aruba Beach Club, with all the fees, each exchange was about $750. I had done West Palm as well for about the same price. My ex got the timeshare in the divorce, so now I just use Redweek and have had awesome luck renting from there. I have considered buying in Aruba since I no longer have mine, but the maintenance fees are really high in comparison to some other locations. Good Luck, would love to know what you decide.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I will say, if you can get a timeshare cheap-a few thousand dollars, then it may be worth it. We bought a one bedroom Marriott timeshare in Kauai-every other year usage for about $2500 including transfer fee and first year's maintenance fees. We rented it to a friend the first year for $2000. We used it one year and if we had to pay for that room it would have cost us more than we paid for it. We also bought week 49 at the Ren here in Aruba and with transfer fees and first year maintenance about $3500. Maintenance a year was $650 and it went up to $7??(I can't remember). Even with the special assessment, we came out ahead.

For all our timeshares we traded heavily and travel around the world. We had 4 timeshares up until 2018(sold them all now since our travel has changed). We traded to Greece, Portugal, Spain, Belize, Thailand, DR, St. Maarten several times, Grand Cayman, Mexico 2x, other resorts in Aruba, various places in the U. S. I really can't remember them all. We also gave a week to a friend for a honeymoon and another to hubby's assistant.

IF you can get it cheap enough in the right season and learn the tricks of using it to trade to other locations, then it may be worth it. It all depends on how and when you want to travel. We bought ours because we could only travel on school vacations as I was a teacher and for us it guaranteed us a nice location when prices were highest. Now, we can do what we want and when we want so we sold all of them. It isn't right for us now, but it was for many years. We love owning our condo in Aruba.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    In Michael’s query it appears that he’s looking for long term or many multiple weeks. We’ve never owned a time share, but don’t you have to pay the maintenance fee for every week? Do they give you any break for purchasing multiple weeks?

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    All our units were at different resorts, so I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    In Michael’s query it appears that he’s looking for long term or many multiple weeks. We’ve never owned a time share, but don’t you have to pay the maintenance fee for every week? Do they give you any break for purchasing multiple weeks?

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we owned at lacabana weeks 51. 52, 1 and 2.
    same unit
    be bought thru resale in the late 1990s
    no break on the maintenance fees.

we sold weeks 1 and 2
    and transferred the other 2 weeks to our son.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why we exchange our 1 week with Interval. We get two weeks for a fraction of the cost of the maintenance fee for owning an additional week.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are wise to do it that way Walt!

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    That's why we exchange our 1 week with Interval. We get two weeks for a fraction of the cost of the maintenance fee for owning an additional week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so confused. How does 1 turn into 2, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I am so confused. How does 1 turn into 2, lol.
    We own a two bedroom Villa at the Surf Club for one week, it has one bedroom and living area and a studio lockoff. We deposit our 2 bedroom week with Interval. Then we contact Interval and request a one bedroom for a week, and a studio for a week. We specify the weeks we want and Interval does he rest, for a very reasonable fee. See? Two for one... like happy hour!

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes some sense. Back to the beach I go.