This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9/11

Post Thanks / Like

9/11

It is hard to believe it has been 19 years since this horrific event that changed the way we live and travel. I think everyone remembers where you were and what you were doing when you learned what happen. So, where were you and what were you doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    9/11-e02e9880-c3da-4429-bce7-0d2937bc72b2-jpg
    In our hearts forever
    Last edited by GETA62; 09-11-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in work getting ready for a meeting when one of the engineers came running down the hall yelling that a plane had gone into the tower. My first thought was it was a horrible accident. It was beyond my thought process, in that moment, that it could be anything other than accidental. We, of course, quickly learned the truth. I worked for NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) which is a fire safety code development association. There were committee members and other associates in New York so people were on the phone trying to find out if they were okay. Televisions were set up in the conference rooms and people were in and out for updates.

In the days that followed I, along with the rest of my department received hundreds of emails from all over the world from people expressing their condolences and sadness over this horrific event. We read them over and over.

It is a day I will never forget.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Sept 11 2019

When the plane hit the first tower, I was on my way to work.
    When the South tower was struck at 9:03, I had just turned on my music and hopped into the pool to lead a deep water aerobics class.

The rest of the day was spent in and out of my office watching the news...........our stock broker was killed as was most of the staff in his office, husband's Raytheon co-worker killed as he was on one of the planes, a high school classmate was killed as he was also on one of the planes.

Our swim team opening night welcome banquet was scheduled for that evening and we (the staff and parents on committee) decided to go ahead and continue the planned event. It was a wonderful event and more came than expected. It was just what we needed...a 2 hour distraction and a fun event for the kids.
    Not one complaint about it being held.

On sept 11 and for many days after, including today................I said that I was grateful that my dad was gone and did not have to live thru the events and aftermath.

That day was also the first day that my son had his first cell phone.
    He was in 9th grade, and kept calling me for updates.
    His high school kept the kids pretty much in the dark.
    His show choir teacher, brought much comfort to the kids as she was able to fill them in and immerse them in music.
    i gave him permission to spend the day in the music wing with her.
    This angel of a teacher, Johanne Holt Mcivor is owed much gratitude for her kindness and her compassion.

On that Sept 11 day, while at work, i was also on the phone lots with my friend Sherry (Sefeit) RIP.
    She was in a state of panic as her daughter Candace, then an executive with LEGO, was in Manhattan at meetings.
    Sherry did not hear from her daughter til late that night and she was ok!

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at work when my phone rang. I knew it must be important and it was Pam telling me a plane had hit the Trade Center. I was like are you sure? She was like yes, it's a terrible accident. I had been on my desk phone before she called and my fellow workers had gone to a meeting about us leaving for Kittery on the 12th. Long story short, we left the 13th and drove by the smoldering remains of the destruction on the turnpike (no air travel). I can't explain the feelings I had at the sight, but it was very sobering. Pam and I have been to the Ground Zero Memorial and it is such a great memorial to all of those who gave their ultimate. Ace, please post your story, it's amazing...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in my classroom. I had moved from self contained special ed to in-class support 3rd grade that year. It was also the year they decided the whole building would have reading first thing in the morning. One of the basic skills teachers came in and whispered to Carmen(regular ed teacher) and myself that a plane hit the tower. We both thought some decided to commit suicide by flying something like a Cessna into the building. Then someone else came in and told us that the other tower was hit with a passenger plane. We were anxious and I got on the computer, but we could not connect. The kids had specials in the classroom so Carmen and I went into the adjacent classroom(we were quad made into twins years ago) and turned on the TV as the teacher in the room took her kids to specials. We sat on the kids desks and turned on the TV and a few second into the broadcast the first tower fell. We both just grabbed each other in shock and probably yelled. We had a hard time explaining to Linda, the teacher who walked back into the classroom what had happened. All the 3rd grade teachers gathered together and watched until the kids came back. We were instructed not to tell the kids. We went back to our rooms and went through the motions until lunch and gathered again to watch. We decided to group two classes together into one each side of the quad and put on a movie while we took turns watching the tv in the vacant classroom. Carmen was terrified because her son was flying for work that day and was in the air when the attacks occured, but was not on those flights. Another teacher's son and dil worked on either side of the towers. That son went to get his wife and crossed under the walkway between the two towers as the second plane it and debris came raining down, but luckily he was under the walkway. They were. During the day kids kept getting picked up and our students got suspicious, but we just passed it off.

This was the first year my kids were going home by themselves. Paul was in middle school 5th grade and David was in 4th in a different elementary school. I called Paul when I knew he would be home and told him not to turn on the TV. However, he knew and asked some questions. He wanted to know why the president was meeting in his closet. It took me a minute to figure out he didn't know that the president's cabinet was a group of advisors.

I left school as soon as the last kid walked out the door and got home as David got off the bus. Paul was at the door yelling to him about what happened. David overheard teacher's talking while on his safety patrol post during dismissal. We talked, put out the flag and sat on the sofa-one kid on each side of me, holding each other watching the TV. Until we had to go to Back to School Night at David's school. It was very poorly attended and the principal was raked over the coals for not postponing it-people just wanted to be home with their families.

Stu's mom was in a nursing home due to advanced stage of lung cancer. He was there when he learned of it. My mil never knew what happened. The day after they told Stu it is time to have his sister in come in from Canada but the borders were closed. She was one of the first people allowed into the country once the borders open and had her car searched. She passed away on the 16th.

We visited Ground Zero the following summer. I have been to the memorial in NY and to the one in PA. I did not know anyone who passed away, but now know a family who lost their son and brother. Someone in our town did lose a family member, but I do not know that family.
    Last edited by robin; 09-11-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the first plane hit I was driving to work and listening to Howard Stern. It seemed unreal and eventually I turned on the news station to see what was really going on. By the time I got into work, the 2nd plane had hit. I was working not too far from Dulles Airport where that plane had to be taking off around the time we were realizing what was happening.

I sat with my friend's wife waiting to hear from her husband who in the Pentagon. Sometime around noon we finally got the call that let us breath a sigh of relief, we heard from her husband that he was safe and on his way home. For those who weren't in this area, no phone calls were going through, it was hard to reach anyone. And the scene at the Pentagon was chaotic, obviously. I will never forget those hours of not knowing, the drive to my friend's office to wait with her to find out if the love of her life was hurt or worse. I thank God every day that I did not have to see her face had the news gone the other way. Later that day the reality set in that my friend's coworker Allen Boyle was killed in the Pentagon and wife would never get that phone call or sigh of relief. She was pregnant and their son never got to meet his father. Everything changed that day. So Sad!

I never experienced flying before 9/11. A few weeks later I just so happened to be scheduled on my very first flight ever to support a work conference in Chicago. Half us were flying out of Dulles. It was so somber. We walked out to the plane past a memorial wreath. The other half of the group was scheduled to fly out of Reagan but flights had still not resumed so they had to take a charter bus.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    It is hard to believe it has been 19 years since this horrific event that changed the way we live and travel. I think everyone remembers where you were and what you were doing when you learned what happen. So, where were you and what were you doing?
    I was actually there, My office was in the building next to tower 2, and to this day it is still leaning to one side. Not a day I will ever forget.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is unbelievable

what was your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by EDMLS1358 View Post
    I was actually there, My office was in the building next to tower 2, and to this day it is still leaning to one side. Not a day I will ever forget.

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going back to college to get another degree in order to teach and I was just about to leave the house for class when my wife yelled to me to come and watch the TV.....it was chilling beyond belief and just reliving the thought makes my heart race with nervousness.