This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a great trip and exactly - why not now! I would definitely have had some wine last night with all the stress you were under.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Just catching up Robin - hope all is well and you and Stu are enjoying life right now looking forward to your trip report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flights went well. Our flight from Philly to Miami was the same plane to Santiago, which meant no changing gates. Everything closes at 10 pm( or so it seems in MIA). Glad I grabbed a soda after getting off the plane at 930. We upgraded to premium economy for these flight and there is no going back to regular economy especially for a long overnight flight. We had our normal aisle seats and somehow I managed to sleep on my side with my left leg hanging over the right armrest. Still trying to figure out how I did that. We were feed dinner at midnight(1130 pm flight) and breakfast at 6 am. Flight arrived at 8 am Santiago time which is the same as Aruban time. We took an Uber to the hotel.

Once at the hotel, we showered and walked around for awhile then had lunch which was a shared platter of beef and chicken(so good) with potatoes. English is not widely spoken here. I know a little Spanish(I had horrible teacher in HS), but here they also have words that native words, so even Google translate does not work well at times. After lunch, we had a 35 min. nap before meeting our group for a city tour at 3 pm.

Our group of 16 did a wonderful 4 hour tour of the city. We drove around the city, walked around downtown and visited two hills in this city surrounded by the Andes. On the larger hills with amazing views of the city of 7-8 million, l we did funicular ride up and a very long cable car ride down. Chile is having a lot of political strife right now and large protest two days before we arrived, left areas filled with graffiti on buildings and monuments.

After the tour, seven of us went to dinner. It should have been a 7 minute walk, which turned into 30 minutes because the map app wasn't accurate. After dinner, we collapsed into bed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hrm32E3UarLYL8uL6

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful photos. I especially liked the one at the cafe withthe 3 pups dining along with their people.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely photos!!

Your travel day/night sounded exhausted.

Time zone.....Aruba is Atlantic and that puts it 1 hr behind or ahead of Santiago?

We turn our clocks back on Nov 6 so that puts us on the east coast USA 1 hr behind Aruba.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad the flights were uneventful. Great pictures can't wait to see more.
    I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds...
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made it safely! What a beautiful city! Can't wait to see more pictures. Enjoy!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad all went well with the flights. Very nice photos. If you are a wine drinker you will probably enjoy the red wine in Chili! Love their red wine.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Lovely photos!!

Your travel day/night sounded exhausted.

Time zone.....Aruba is Atlantic and that puts it 1 hr behind or ahead of Santiago?

We turn our clocks back on Nov 6 so that puts us on the east coast USA 1 hr behind Aruba.
    It is currently 5:30 in Chile and 4:30 on the East Coast.

It is a bit confusing because Chile's DST is different than at home.

On August 8, 2022, the Chilean government made an official announcement about a Daylight Saving Time (DST) time zone change. Starting at 12:00 a.m. Saturday, September 10, 2022 until 12:00 a.m. Saturday, April 1, 2023, the official time will advance 60 minutes

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad all is good Robin - pics are amazing!