This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus effects in your hometown.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno glenn

lying on a chaise in the sun is pretty essential imo.

Hawaii awaits as does aruba

stay well and aruba will be ready for you 2 in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning once again,

Our vacation to Maui is now cancelled. We were supposed to leave April 22, 2020 and stay there for 3 weeks.

The Canada-U.S. border is closed to all but essential travel. As essential as it might be to us after a long cold winter, I'm pretty sure laying on a chaisse lounge is about as far from essential as we could get.

Aruba this coming October is still a go, so far.

Glenn
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    R I’m wondering how many others are staying home as much as possible? In my neighborhood it seems like everyone is home. What are you doing with all this extra time?
    We are trying to stay home as much as possible - with the exception of groceries and Jon going to work. I enjoy staying home for the most part but I am trying to keep myself busy. I'm not so worried about us getting sick, but we don't want to pass it to others - including family members, friends with other issues, and some of my older coworkers - we have a lot of retirees who come back part time because we are very flexible. We are really trying to do the right thing and be responsible. It makes me angry to see people out and about like this isn't a problem. When Vegas shuts down - it's a problem!!! Jon told me today, stop buying groceries, we should be good for a while. My uncle is a grocery store manager for a local chain and he says supplies and manufacturing will be an issue in the stores for 4-6 weeks as companies struggle to keep up with demand.

I usually work from home 1 day a week, but I've been home all week and will be for the foreseeable future. I don't enjoy it on a daily basis, even though I love the once a week option as my "catch up" day. I work in a central office for a school division and with school and departments at a standstill I am stuck working on the projects that have been on the back burner for a while. Let's just say those back burner projects are usually not the fun and exciting ones.

Jon works in Maryland and the way they have been shutting things down and limiting things, I'm shocked he's still working. I think they fall into the "emergency" category because they have government and hospital contracts for supplies.

I'm enjoying my walk down the stairs commute. My biggest worry is avoiding the snacks! I also have been making myself keep the TV off during working hours. It's funny but I don't feel like I have extra time. In the afternoons Jon gets home and we have dinner, then we have been walking around our neighborhood. And I try to make myself do a few rounds of our stairs throughout the day. We had been going to the gym before all this, but it's closed now. I don't want to get side tracked from the progress.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 03-19-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: fix typo
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you’re saying about avoiding the snacks. I try not to eat out of boredom. Grocery shopping is the only thing I’ve gone out to do and I try to get enough to last 2 weeks. Tom is staying in, or he may take the ride with me to the store and stay in the car. I’ve been debating about doing takeout to break up the routine but not sure how comfortable I am with it and really have no excuse for not cooking.

The unknowns are the biggest challenge. While they talk about staying in for 3 weeks, who knows they may extend it.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about the unknowns, Peg. Yesterday I thought I was going to have a panic attack in the grocery store. Our stores are out of everything and there are long lines. Just not knowing how long we will have to live like this, wondering if we will be on lock down, will stores close, do my family members have what they need, will my grandmother and great aunt be exposed, and on and on and on. Are my friends holding up okay? As an over-thinker, it can all be overwhelming. And when will it all end?
    But as they say, this too shall pass.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We're hunkering down. Hunkering is a southern term that means staying in the house and shunning the outside world. We hit the liquor store and stocked up and picked up a few groceries. The freezer and pantry are well stocked, so we're good for the long haul. I brought my work computer home and have begun teleworking for the next several weeks. I'm not a fan of working from home, but it's best for me right now. Staying away from the snacks will be hard, Pam just made a big batch of cookies this afternoon. We are regular gym goers, every morning at 5:30. We're really missing the gym, no telling how long it will be closed. The restaurants are down to a max of 10 people inside at a time, most are doing take out only. My daughter is a single mom and works for a restaurant, she got laid off today, we have plenty of friends in the same boat. We're still about a month away from our scheduled departure date, but with the Level 4 Travel Restrictions, things aren't looking good. We are thinking about trying again in September, but who knows what the world will be like by then?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Restaurants here are for the most part closed. Some are doing take out or delivery. There was a notice from the city today announcing that hair salons have to close, even the mall has closed. Even if we went out, nothing is open so there’s no point.

I tried to see if I could get a grocery ordered delivered but all the stores that offer it are booked for the new few weeks. I’ll need to venture out in the next few days.

Fortunately, I have a treadmill so I’ve been doing an hour every morning. I think it helps to keep stress levels down.
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 03-19-2020 at 08:23 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad I'm still able to go to work. Home, office, home, repeat. Used to sound boring. Now I'm just happy to get out and interact (from a safe distance!) with my 8 coworkers and clients on the phone. We're set up to work and communicate from home but we're avoiding for as long as we safely can or allowed to. I'm a residential real estate paralegal. I have families buying and selling homes who are panicking, banks and lenders struggling to get files cleared and closed. Even had one today that had to cancel their purchase because their savings have been cut in half by the market drop and no longer qualify for their mortgage. It may not seem that important in the scheme of what else is happening, but they are a young family who were buying their dream home and because of this stinking virus, that dream has now been crushed. Makes me so angry

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Lisa that is so sad! I feel for that young family.

I just watched the saddest video about a kid from the class of 2020. Those poor kids will probably not get to experience graduation and most certainly will miss out on their senior prom, senior trips, etc. My best friend's oldest is a senior this year and he says he doesn't care but we are sad for him missing these milestones.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt so sorry about your daughter! Sadly I think we are living through something that the history books will write about for years. I am truly worried about layoffs happening across all job sectors with only a couple of exceptions. My wife got a notice earlier today that she she is not to be out in the field "selling" for at least the next month, she has already been home a week and counting. As someone who is base plus commission this is far from ideal....all that said we will happily collect the base pay as the alternative is no pay at all- much like your daughter Walt . This is a situation that nobody saw coming....and I hope the end is near but sadly I am not overly optimistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    ALL of California told to stay HOME! The Governor orders 40 million to lock down according to CNN.