This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 89 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1077

Thread: Corona Virus effects in your hometown.

  1. #881
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    stay well jay

    that whole situation is a real cluster "mess"

    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    We dont live in the same town I teach in thanfully. CJ is hybrid but we send him to a "learning center" to assist him on the virtual days as he is not a truly independent learner yet.

    Just got a bit closer again....my JV coach is also a science teacher at the HS, he was sent home today after one of his students fell ill and showed covid symptoms. It would not be so bad if she was wearing a mask properly but she is a special needs student who never had it above her nose....was melting down most of the class crying as well. The closed his room for cleaning. He is NOT allowed to coach my JV soccer team till at least Monday. If the student tests positive I expect my coach to have to quarantine for 14 days or until he is tested and its neg.
    1 0
     

  2. #882
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    We have been pretty comfortable with our dine out situation but there is still a certain amount of anxiety. Do you think they will have trick or treat in your neighborhood? I kind of hope they will cancel it here as it seems like an unnecessary risk.
    They announced Trick or Treat this week in our town and the neighboring town from 4-7pm on Halloween which is a Saturday. I don't know what the other surrounding towns are doing, but I do know that unless all the neighboring towns have it at the same time, they will go to the town that has it-yes, they will Trick or Treat in as many towns as they can. When my kids were little, this neighborhood was filled with kids and I'd give out 75-125 pieces of candy and I knew the majority of the families. Those kids are now in the late twenties and thirties. Yes, younger families have moved in, but it isn't like it was 20 years ago, yet, we will now get over 300, closer to 400 Trick or Treaters and they are not children-there are young adults, parents with babies wanting candy for the baby who can't sit up yet, teens with bags for themselves and their infant, even parents with bags for themselves-they are not from this neighborhood. Our streets are lined with vehicles. Most are rude-cutting across lawns, over bushes, asking "is that all you got? or Can I get more?" I don't expect this year to be any different. Our mayor has two girls-elementary and preschool aged(I used to work with his wife). The Covid numbers in our county are low-under 10 new cases a day for 150,000 people. We will see what happens when if if the schools open on Oct. 13.

  3. #883
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    I miss the trick or treaters.
    Our community is 55+, so there are no kids

    Our street in Waltham MA had many trick or treaters and I am guessing many from other neighborhoods.
    We enjoyed seeing them all in their costumes...............young and older, local or not so local, it was always a fun night.

    Too bad it has become a not so good experience in your neighborhood Robin.

    I miss it.
    0 1
     

  4. #884
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a lot of kids!! We have absolutely no children on our street. In years past we would maybe get 15 to 30 come to the door. Often times driven here from other neighborhoods. I’m really hoping they cancel it but in any event I think we will just keep the lights out.

    0 0
     

  5. #885
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I miss the trick or treaters.
    Our community is 55+, so there are no kids

    Our street in Waltham MA had many trick or treaters and I am guessing many from other neighborhoods.
    We enjoyed seeing them all in their costumes...............young and older, local or not so local, it was always a fun night.

    Too bad it has become a not so good experience in your neighborhood Robin.

    I miss it.
    It used to so much fun! Even before I had kids and we lived in our old neighborhood, it was so much fun. Even after my kids were too old to go out it was so much fun. However, over the past 10-12 years things changed. They come in with one or two adults and a car filled with kids-no way anyone is belted in. One year some trailered in a golf cart so they could get around faster(Stu saw them unloading around the corner so I know they are not from here) and one woman in a van had the kid standing in the open sliding door. She would drive from driveway to driveway, the kid would hop out run to the house and then across the street to the other house while mom blocked the street, then he would get back in, stand in the open doorway and she'd drive the 100 feet to the next house. Most of the teenages kids don't even have costumes. More and more homes are shutting off their lights in our neighborhood and other neighborhoods that swamped.

  6. #886
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is just too bad that today's kids don't get to enjoy it like we all did as kids.

    my grandsons will have some sort of a Halloween thing at their school, then they dress up and wear their costumes to all of the outlet stores in Kittery. apparently the Outlets in Kittery have been hosting Halloween for years!

    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    It used to so much fun! Even before I had kids and we lived in our old neighborhood, it was so much fun. Even after my kids were too old to go out it was so much fun. However, over the past 10-12 years things changed. They come in with one or two adults and a car filled with kids-no way anyone is belted in. One year some trailered in a golf cart so they could get around faster(Stu saw them unloading around the corner so I know they are not from here) and one woman in a van had the kid standing in the open sliding door. She would drive from driveway to driveway, the kid would hop out run to the house and then across the street to the other house while mom blocked the street, then he would get back in, stand in the open doorway and she'd drive the 100 feet to the next house. Most of the teenages kids don't even have costumes. More and more homes are shutting off their lights in our neighborhood and other neighborhoods that swamped.
    0 1
     

  7. #887
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    I LOVE trick or treat...always have. Its even better now as a parent! That said, there is NO way we have it in our town this year which stinks but is certainly understandable. We live in a small neighborhood of about a dozen or so houses but we are a short walk away from one of the biggest neighborhoods in our town...which is great for candy, lol. Stay safe all!

  8. #888
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    What state are you living in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnette Bartol View Post
    Numbers of infected keep on peaking, but businesses and tourism are slowly on the move. Still scary to go out.

  9. #889
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    We dont live in the same town I teach in thanfully. CJ is hybrid but we send him to a "learning center" to assist him on the virtual days as he is not a truly independent learner yet.

    Just got a bit closer again....my JV coach is also a science teacher at the HS, he was sent home today after one of his students fell ill and showed covid symptoms. It would not be so bad if she was wearing a mask properly but she is a special needs student who never had it above her nose....was melting down most of the class crying as well. The closed his room for cleaning. He is NOT allowed to coach my JV soccer team till at least Monday. If the student tests positive I expect my coach to have to quarantine for 14 days or until he is tested and its neg.
    Did those in your school get results?

  10. #890
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did something I have not done since before leaving for Aruba in January. I went into a mall. I wanted all new dishes and wanted to see what I had planned on ordering, so I drove to a mall with a Macy's because it was the closest store that had Fiestaware in stock. I didn't realize the whole mall did not open until 11(it was 10 before Covid) so I went to a nearby Kohl's for 45 minutes then went back to the mall. So many stores were closed. Macy's was not as well stocked as it usually is(neither was Kohls). I walked partway through the mall and left. It was just too depressing. BTW, Fiestaware has been made in the US since the 1936. I got a great deal at Kohl's-30% off, 10% back on Upromise and Kohl's cash. Macy's also had a good sale, but not as good as Kohls, but I had gift cards, so I order a few pieces from Macy's too. I will slowly add other pieces when I find sales.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •