This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominican Republic Resort Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Dominican Republic Resort Issues

So there has been a lot of recent news about deaths, liness in Punta Cana DR. I've always wanted to go to Punta Cana for it's beautiful beaches but when I would reviews resorts, there was always a lot of mix reviews and issues about people getting food poisoning etc. So I decided long ago, Eagle Beach and Palm Beach are the best, Aruba has the worlds purest distilled water, excellent cuisine so I will stick to what I know.

A lot of tourist go to Punta Cana because they have tons of all inclusive resorts and very affordable but look at the recent news with people dying after drinking from room mini bar, school trip students got sick after eating at restaurant etc. My brother went there with his wife last August and stood at an expensive resort. He had top booze, food, entertainment the works. Everything went well until day 5. He went on an excursion to a private island off Punta Cana and made the mistake of ordering food at the beach from a local vendor. That evening he and his wife got violently sick and were up until 4am going to the bathroom. The next day they stayed in the room watching TV and sipping ginger ale.

My sister in law booked a trip to Punta Cana for October for my niece 21st birthday and her best friend is going as well. Now they are afraid of going and I don't blame them. Food poisoning is no joke! Tainted alcohol, deadly! I'm hoping they can get their money back and maybe I can get them a timeshare in Aruba or the Holiday Inn has a an all inclusive available at a good price for October. We will see..

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    ACE, I agree, they should stay away (as I would). Just don't see any reason to go there instead of Aruba. As far as all-inclusives go, my wife and I don't drink anyway, we don't eat much either and you can't beat the beaches in Aruba vs. Puerto Plata where we have stayed (at a friend's timeshare). I'm sure you will be able to book something in Aruba for them in October.
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I have had food poisoning in Aruba, I still have no desire to visit the DR. As for your family members, I'm sure you can find them reasonable accommodations in October, but would they really need AI? In any case I'd start looking now!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    The minute they say its great as long as you stay in the resort, that is the robot saying "dangering will robinson". I go no place where I HAVE to stay in the resort. If those aren't warning bells, I don't know what is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently had lunch with a friend and she told me she went in January and became violently ill halfway through the stay. She assumed it was food poisoning then all the news started coming out. She said she drank wine from the bar. Her partner did not get sick.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if they can’t their money back I would still cancel. It’s just not worth it!

0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the beaches are beeeeeautiful in the DR!
    certain areas of Mexico too..........not for me

look into mcm players choice www.aruba4u.com for some great packages to Aruba
    or
    go to your interval and see if you can get them an interval "getaway"

do they really need all inclusive?
    if so, I would recommend the Tam or the Divi for them.....
    but still it is over $300 pp per night not including air

they can do much better in a non all inclusive

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been following the ongoing horrors in the DR and I am sad that the island itself seems to be glossing over the problem so far. I would not go to the DR if you paid me to go there....never mind pay to go. Just so NO to the DR and move on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its good to note that Aruba(ATA) itself said yesterday that they will not be positioning Aruba to actively go out to win over these tourists that are canceling or thinking to cancel their trips to the DR. Their reasoning behind it was that they didnt want to be seen as prying people away from sister Caribbean nations. The real reason I expect though is that Aruba is already full after the hurricanes of the past years left much of the Caribbean badly damaged. Aruba benefited greatly from being one of the islands left unscathed. Growing by almost 10% in tourism revenues.

That growth has come at the worst time for the islanders themselves and tourists alike in my opinion because of the much needed and decades in planning infrastructure works that are going on all around the west side of the island.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I have been following the ongoing horrors in the DR and I am sad that the island itself seems to be glossing over the problem so far. I would not go to the DR if you paid me to go there....never mind pay to go. Just so NO to the DR and move on.
    My nieces friend and coworker just lost her aunt and uncle in the DR. They died in their room. Debbie shared some of the family's reactions, and needless to say, Deb told me they would never go there again. This "natural" causes explanation makes no sense to them. They were not the healthiest people, but who can believe both died at the same time while on vacation, and it was not suspicious?

0 0