This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: How many of you back to work in offices

  1. #1
    Senior Member DiviDiviFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    How many of you back to work in offices

    Just curious if any of you who have been working remotely have been called back into your offices and if so how has the experience been?

    I am going back on Monday, we have a very small staff of 6 people stuffed into one room (renting space in church) while our new center is built. I will be back with one other person, no more than 3 at a time allowed. Most of the staff are refusing to go back, sense they feel they can do everything from home. So can I but never like to say "NO" to my Director so will try it out. The only thing I am dreading is wearing a mask at my desk all day, making sure I wear contacts otherwise my glasses will continue to fog up.

    Hopefully your experience is going well if you are back to your normal work space.

    0 1
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are having discussions, but have not been called back. Some of our staff really has to be in the office to get work done and we are running out of "catch-up" projects for our part time staff, but our office is still closed. I work in a central office for a school division and the priority right now is figuring out the back to school plan. Those of us who can do most of our work from home were told yesterday to plan on being home for this rest of the year. Even if we are allowed to reopen our office, most of us will only go in 1 or 2 days a week on a rotating schedule since we can work from home and the part timers really can't. Like you, I am dreading wearing the mask all day so the more I can stay home the better.
    1 1
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~Amy~®'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had previously worked from home 2 days a week and would spend 3 days in the office. Been working remotely every day now since March 16. I work for a large company that occupies many floors in a 55 story office tower downtown. No plans at this point to return although Sept. 7 has been used as a POSSIBLE return date. I miss being in the office, collaborating with coworkers (especially miss my two large computer monitors and my stand up desk) but I won't return until they have various safety protocols in place.
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- Oregon winecountry/coast: July 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020


    2 0
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    I had previously worked from home 2 days a week and would spend 3 days in the office. Been working remotely every day now since March 16. I work for a large company that occupies many floors in a 55 story office tower downtown. No plans at this point to return although Sept. 7 has been used as a POSSIBLE return date. I miss being in the office, collaborating with coworkers (especially miss my two large computer monitors and my stand up desk) but I won't return until they have various safety protocols in place.
    I had to purchase better monitors for my home, I couldn't take it. About a week in to the stay at home orders, I made the purchase and I highly recommend it. Working from a small laptop just wasn't going cut it for me and the work I do. Prior to that in early March I decided to give my home office a makeover. My normal routine prior to all of this was working from home 1 day a week and I needed a better space. The timing could not have been better. Everything was set up nicely about a week before my office closed.
    0 3
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stu has been working from home since we got back from Aruba. His office is in an office condo and we own the condo, however, he rents space to a chiropractor and a psychologist (who does interviews for SS). The psychologist isn't working much but the chiropractor does. Stu goes in on Sundays to drop off paperwork and pick up what he needs. His assistant goes in 2x a week in the evening to log the mail, make copies and send out the mail. She works from home the rest of the time. They go in when no one else is there and are only there for about an hour at a time. He has gone in a few times in between for things like the exterminator and electrician. Since he isn't in the office or on the road we have been able to put off him getting a new lease on a car and just use mine. No need for payments if it isn't being used.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Surf Club
    Posts
    4,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I had to purchase better monitors for my home, I couldn't take it. About a week in to the stay at home orders, I made the purchase and I highly recommend it. Working from a small laptop just wasn't going cut it for me and the work I do. Prior to that in early March I decided to give my home office a makeover. My normal routine prior to all of this was working from home 1 day a week and I needed a better space. The timing could not have been better. Everything was set up nicely about a week before my office closed.
    My "home office" is the kitchen table with 2 laptops. I've been going in to my office/lab every day the past few weeks for a few hours a day. So nice to have dual 25" monitors versus laptop screens. I usually see maybe 3 people total in the building and everyone wears masks. It's nice to get out and about and since my commute is less than 4 miles each way, I don't worry about traffic.


    0 1
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    My "home office" is the kitchen table with 2 laptops. I've been going in to my office/lab every day the past few weeks for a few hours a day. So nice to have dual 25" monitors versus laptop screens. I usually see maybe 3 people total in the building and everyone wears masks. It's nice to get out and about and since my commute is less than 4 miles each way, I don't worry about traffic.
    You have a short commute like we do/did. Stu's office is less than two miles, David's new job's office is about one mile in the opposite direction and when I was working I was less than 3 miles to school. The only time there is any real traffic is when the school start or get out since each one is or was a school.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working in the office at least 3 days a week since the beginning of the COVID-19 closures. We have been considered essential and have been busier than ever trying to figure out what the state guidelines mean and making sure we are providing meals to feed the qualifying families every day. There are normally 7 of us in the office at the same time in my little cubicle area and we are holding steady at about 3 at a time. No one wears masks in the office and we are not letting anyone outsiders in. Field employees have big cardboard boxes in the foyer marked IN & OUT for them to drop off or pick up paperwork. The mail carrier has a designated spot where outgoing mail is left and where they leave all incoming mail. We've worked out a pretty nice process for everything.
    Loving Aruba from NJ
    0 1
     

  9. #9
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,404
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like great workable procedures are in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I have been working in the office at least 3 days a week since the beginning of the COVID-19 closures. We have been considered essential and have been busier than ever trying to figure out what the state guidelines mean and making sure we are providing meals to feed the qualifying families every day. There are normally 7 of us in the office at the same time in my little cubicle area and we are holding steady at about 3 at a time. No one wears masks in the office and we are not letting anyone outsiders in. Field employees have big cardboard boxes in the foyer marked IN & OUT for them to drop off or pick up paperwork. The mail carrier has a designated spot where outgoing mail is left and where they leave all incoming mail. We've worked out a pretty nice process for everything.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member mvosilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was working in the office lone pretty much the whole time, at least for a few hours a day. Our office wasn't online and just before this happened, as I was expecting to be in Aruba, I uploaded all our information into the cloud so that most of what we do could be done at home. Then after a few weeks of this, I made them buy me a laptop so I could do some work from home. I also purchased an extra monitor on my own for my house, as I would have missed my two monitors too much. Now most of the office is back, but we have a big office we don;t usually wear masks unless we are going to be near other people.

    We have clients coming in, but only those that absolutely need to come in.

    Now that ppl are back in the office, I've made the executive decision that I can work from home more. I took off last week, so today and the previous Friday, I worked from my parent's house (by the pool) in NY and have spent my vacation week here. I will be leaving this evening and heading back home.

    I think you'll find a lot of companies giving up office space in the big cities, they real estate is just soo much, and if ppl are even have as productive at home, it is worth the cost saving measure.

    As for productivity, sometimes I am more productive at home. Sometimes i am more productive in the office. I think my productivity depends on my mood, not my environment. LOL
    0 3
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •